Greetings again dear friends! I'd like to take the opportunity to acknowledge @Chef and @Psiman for their enthusiasm and encouragement for this particular Video Review Series. I sincerely hope you enjoy them and they can assist you with your cigar journey.

Again, like all my other past Series, I'd like to say that speaking 'on-the-fly' about cigars is certainly a challenge and I will need to acknowledge errors throughout this series (so again bare with me). Also, please feel free to share your thoughts on these cigars in this thread. If you have views or opinions contrary to what has been stated, please feel welcome to express your thoughts and say so, after all, my own views here is intended to serve as a guide. 

• Like 2

• JohnS pinned this topic

Very nice reviews, @JohnS.  I've been eagerly awaiting this new review series.  I really enjoy Rob and Ken's reviews.  The banter keeps it entertaining.  For relatively new CC smokers, however, your video reviews are the most beneficial anywhere on the internet, as you offer a good bit of history and education, along with the requisite flavor notes.  

Well done, sir.  Keep 'em coming.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Monterey said:

Bring back the beard!

Haha...it was a trade off late last year for my daughter's high school graduation with my wife's support.

I know, I miss it too! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

5. H.Upmann Half Corona – EOT NOV 16

The H.Upmann Half Corona was first introduced to the Habanos catalogue in 2011 and has proven to be a popular cigar ever since. Have you considered smoking one with a few years on it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6. Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince – SOM JUN 16

The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince was a very popular cigar on our forum in 2015 and 2016. Sadly, it has been discontinued since early 2017. How does it compare to the recent Le Hoyo de San Juan and Rio de Seco releases? (Please note, I mentioned the Coronas Grandes vitola including the Hoyo de Monterrey des Dieux, Montecristo Tubos and Cohiba Siglo V in this review. I actually meant the Cohiba Siglo III.)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

In my young CC career, I have come to appreciate both Bolivar and Cohiba.  The two best CCs have had thus far have been the BPC and CoRo w/ an extremely flavorful Monte 4 not too far behind.

Thanks for the reviews so far.  Each is a valuable contribution to FOH.....and the wooooooooooorrrrlld. HAH!

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, Chef said:

In my young CC career, I have come to appreciate both Bolivar and Cohiba.  The two best CCs have had thus far have been the BPC and CoRo w/ an extremely flavorful Monte 4 not too far behind.

Thanks for the reviews so far.  Each is a valuable contribution to FOH.....and the wooooooooooorrrrlld. HAH!

That's excellent, if you can appreciate both these marcas I tip my hat off to you!

Thanks again for the feedback. I have five more videos planned for this Video Review Series.

16 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Where's the reviews on the CoSho, Trini Shorts, Monte Puritos, RyJ Petit Julietas, etc? :P

Now that would be funny...a video that lasts longer than smoking the cigar(illo)!

Thanks for the reviews John!  Excellent content as always.  

Since Bolivar has not typically been one of your favorite marcas, I'm curious if you ever had occasion to try an earlier BBF.   If so, how did it compare to the recent ones that you have been enjoying?  Do you think they may have changed the blend?

I'm primarily asking because I have never tried one myself, but would like to given all of the favorable comments around.  I have an opportunity to pick up a box of '15s or to just pick up a box of current production.   I've heard these do well with age, so I'm tempted to grab the 15s, but would hesitate if it seemed like newer production is better.  I also tend not to enjoy a lot of earth and leather, which is why I haven't tried these to date. 

Any insights would be great!       

• Thanks 1

I've had BBF in the past but I have to admit that recent BBF, for me, is better. Blend-wise I haven't picked up obvious differences. If it was me and I had a choice between '15 or '18 BBF stock, I'd guess the older boxes may be more expensive and if so, I'd pick up the '18 option.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

8. Bolivar Gold Medal – LSO JUL 07

If the Bolivar Gold Medal were offered tomorrow on a 24:24 listing I'd have no doubt it would sell out within minutes. Why were these originally discontinued as a regular production in 1992 and why were they so popular when released a a LCDH cigar in 2004? Recent reviews of this cigar on our forum suggests that it has aged very well. I'd like to thank @Luca for joining me for this review and providing the cigars.

• Like 2

9. La Gloria Cubana Tainos – LRE DIC 09

It's a shame there are only three regular production Churchills left; the Romeo y Julieta Churchills, the H.Upmann Sir Winston and Cohiba Esplendidos. In regards to flavour and blend, this aged La Gloria Cubana Tainos deserves to be in a category of its own. What similarities and differences does it share with the last regular production La Gloria Cubana cigar left, the Medaille d'Or No.4?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, JohnS said:

It's a shame there are only three regular production Churchills left; the Romeo y Julieta Churchills, the H.Upmann Sir Winston and Cohiba Esplendidos. In regards to flavour and blend, this aged La Gloria Cubana Tainos deserves to be in a category of its own. What similarities and differences does it share with the last regular production La Gloria Cubana cigar left, the Medaille d'Or No.4?

A cigar that I will likely not be able to try.  However, I do appreciate being able to enjoy it (and others) vicariously through you and Luca.  Nice job on the review, John.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Chef said:

A cigar that I will likely not be able to try.  However, I do appreciate being able to enjoy it (and others) vicariously through you and Luca.  Nice job on the review, John.

Thanks @Chef! The last three reviews will most likely be difficult-to-get (on 24:24) but not discontinued stock. 

On 9/22/2019 at 10:42 AM, JohnS said:

good on you fellas,  Great review. hats off

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

10. Trinidad La Trova – ARS MAR 18

The LCDH Trinidad La Trova has proven to be a popular release since it was introduced to the market in 2017. Why is it so hard to acquire, at times? How does its blend compare to other Trinidad releases?

A few corrections I need to note; firstly, Cuaba was introduced as a premium marca 2 years before Trinidad in 1998, in the video I didn't specifically mention the year but because I was talking about Cohiba it can be implied that my statement would infer that Cuaba came out a few years before Cohiba, but it was definitely Trinidad that I was referring to. Secondly, Limited Editions tend come from the global brands (Cohiba, H.Upmann, Hoyo de Monterrey, Montecristo, Partagas and Romeo y Julieta) but Habanos S.A have released Limited Editions outside the global brands since 2007 from time-to-time. In the video I speculated that the 2011 Ramon Allones Extra was the first Limited Edition release to come from outside of the global brands but the 2007 Trinidad Ingenios was the first, followed by the 2008 Cuaba Piramides, the 2009 Bolivar Petit Belicosos and the 2010 Trinidad Short Robustos T.

• Like 1