Seasoning with Boveda?

GinFizzLove

Just bought a new humidor and was looking at seasoning with Bovedas. The instructions on the Boveda website say to use 84% packs for 2 weeks and then switch out to the packs corresponding with your final target RH. This seems like it might be tough getting the humidity down 20 points. 

Has anyone used this method and successfully gotten your target RH? I'm hoping for somewhere between 63-65%. Would it be easier to use something like a 75% pack instead of the 84%? Just curious how far I should overshoot? 

I believe the Boveda website is for NC's, not CC's. Use the lower RH packs for lower RH. When I was starting out, I threw in a bunch of 62% packs and used a digital hygrometer. Took a week, but it came down to 62%. Without any stogies in it mind you. After I put my CC's into it, it shot up to 70% and I couldn't get it back down. So I bought a wineador, put in heartfeld bead packs at 65% and didn't have any issues after. I used my desktop for the occasional NC that I would buy from the local B&M. Worked ok for that. 

• Like 1

I used boveda for my desktop. No, use the 84%. It's about saturating your wood and not so much hitting targets. The 75% is going to have a much a harder time getting the wood wet enough. Once you are done (I did 3 weeks for mine), replace with the 84 with your 62% or 65%. Once it starts to drop down to 70ish feel free to add your sticks, they will drop that humidity waaay down, unless they were kept wet. It should then stabilize at 62% after a couple days

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BoliDan said:

I used boveda for my desktop. No, use the 84%. It's about saturating your wood and not so much hitting targets. The 75% is going to have a much a harder time getting the wood wet enough. Once you are done (I did 3 weeks for mine), replace with the 84 with your 62% or 65%. Once it starts to drop down to 70ish feel free to add your sticks, they will drop that humidity waaay down, unless they were kept wet. It should then stabilize at 62% after a couple days

Right on. Sounds straight forward enough. Will give it a go. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
On 8/7/2019 at 4:24 PM, BoliDan said:

Just as an update, I followed your directions and worked great. I left 4 60g 84%’s packs in for a little over 2 weeks until they got dry and gritty. I think the hygrometer got up to 82%. I then replaced them with 4 60g 62% bovedas and added the sticks a couple days later. Since then the humidor has maintained a steady 62%.

• Thanks 1