2019 FOH BLIND TASTING CIGAR NUMBER 1

Very pleased with this one. Looks like I was lucky; not a hint of youth, perfectly acclimated. Tasted like it had a few years on it, even though it probably hasn't. 

Sweet and sour opening. Then lots of sweetness with a hint of green pepper. Second third saw some resinous woody notes with the sweetness lilting in and out, interplaying with a slight earthy note, but finished in the last 3rd with a persistent sweet note and baking spices. 

Delicious.

I think I convinced myself that it was any and all of the 5 possible cigars at some point in its length. ?

However, I did settle on one and smoked an example of what I thought it was from 2017 the following day and it was very close. My track record in this competition suggests I have a 99.96% probability of being wrong, so what have I got to lose!

• Like 2

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never tasted a vegan. What are they like? I guess not meaty, not dairy, with a touch of yoga or pilates? ?

The good thing is no matter what strategies and techniques try,  it wont help your chances

Yes, it’s one of 5 possible cigars ?

On 8/30/2019 at 9:18 PM, WoadyCypress said:

with a nice vegan finish.

I've never tasted a vegan. What are they like? I guess not meaty, not dairy, with a touch of yoga or pilates? ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

So I was in the midst of moving when this all happened and I was out for nearly 3 months with military training. My wife was about a month behind me so they sat for a while with our new neighbors before they could get in the humidor.  Finally home and I just wanted to sit out and have a good cigar and couldn’t wait to test my palette.  Lots of familiar flavors but it came down to two in the end.  I’m sure it was neither of the two after doing this for two years but it’s still fun!!!  

• Haha 1

I thoroughly enjoyed Cigar #1 on this fine Sunday morning, paired with some Maui Coffee Roasters Chocolate Mac Nut coffee. Here are my notes:

Cold aroma: Leather, Hay, Sweet tobacco 

Draw was great, just on the tight side of perfect. Cold draw flavor was quite vegetal.

1st third: Chocolate, Cedar, Capsicum, and just a slight indian spice wafting around. Delicious start.

2nd third: More of the same, with mushrooms joining the vegetal base. Quite savory, not a lot of sweetness.

Final third: The same flavors become more edgy, a sign of youth methinks. There’s a sourdough sharpness in the picture. Strength ramps up to full. While mouthfeel suffers slightly from the sharpness, the aroma becomes magnificent.

This was a really nice cigar, only time will tell if I’m on point with my pick. Good luck gang!

IMG_0075.thumb.jpg.f4342b889d16b6df7dd023ea37a4df32.jpg

• Like 3

On 9/3/2019 at 1:07 AM, GavLew79 said:

Also a touch of patchouli oil. ?

I am going to smoke mine this week.   I was waivering on weather to get in on it since I have limited experience but figured at least I will probably be smoking some cigars I have never smoked yet.   I will try to smoke this later this week.

2 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Cigar #1 on this fine Sunday morning, paired with some Maui Coffee Roasters Chocolate Mac Nut coffee. Here are my notes:

Cold aroma: Leather, Hay, Sweet tobacco 

Draw was great, just on the tight side of perfect. Cold draw flavor was quite vegetal.

1st third: Chocolate, Cedar, Capsicum, and just a slight indian spice wafting around. Delicious start.

2nd third: More of the same, with mushrooms joining the vegetal base. Quite savory, not a lot of sweetness.

Final third: The same flavors become more edgy, a sign of youth methinks. There’s a sourdough sharpness in the picture. Strength ramps up to full. While mouthfeel suffers slightly from the sharpness, the aroma becomes magnificent.

This was a really nice cigar, only time will tell if I’m on point with my pick. Good luck gang!

IMG_0075.thumb.jpg.f4342b889d16b6df7dd023ea37a4df32.jpg

Thanks for reviewing.  Not sure if it helps me, but I enjoy your view. ?

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, Islandboy said:

Cedar, Capsicum, and just a slight indian spice wafting around...Quite savory, not a lot of sweetness...sourdough sharpness in the picture.

That's about as close to nailing it as one can get. I could have picked it by this description alone. There's only one Piramides that can be described this way...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

That's about as close to nailing it as one can get. I could have picked it by this description alone. There's only one Piramides that can be described this way...

Thank you, Captain obvious :D

Let’s just hope we’re right.

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Thank you, Captain obvious :D

Let’s just hope we’re right.

Thanks gents! 

Based on everyone’s descriptions I felt I knew what this was going in.  Then I was greeted with initial puffs of cocoa flavored bread.  That threw me.  Then the remaining 1st and 2nd 3rds were all a the DNA of a specific marque...savory, sweet pepper. Delicious.  The final 3rd was something I didn’t particularly care for...harsh, bitter and likely too young. I had to purge it and it settled a little.  

Is it possible 3 vitolas were spliced in to one? I’m submitting my guess but I’m sure I’ll be surprised.  I’m no aficionado, that’s for sure.  

• Like 1

I thought I knew what it was, based on the experience and what others described. Then I had two blasts of cream. Thick delicious cream. I'm still going with my first choice because I know when I over think it I get it wrong. Last time I was 0 for 5 haha.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Haha 1

On 9/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, prodigy said:

I thought I knew what it was, based on the experience and what others described. Then I had two blasts of cream. Thick delicious cream. I'm still going with my first choice because I know when I over think it I get it wrong. Last time I was 0 for 5 haha.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

The cream hit me initially and it totally threw me for a loop.  Then it disappeared.  Definitely harder than it seems! 

• Like 1

Mine was plugged to hell unfortunately, but there were some moments of greatness - particularly from the ambient aroma actually. Whifs of sourdough and ginger-spice that were just divine. Sort of holiday-season cake flavors actually. Like others, the last third of mine was rough - right as the draw starts to open up, of course. 

On 9/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, Thirds said:

The cream hit me initially and it totally threw me for a loop.  Then it disappeared.  Definitely harder than it seems! 

I tasted that too...a few blasts. Really delish. If only the whole cigar was like that, it would be an easy guess.

10 hours ago, MigsG said:

I tasted that too...a few blasts. Really delish. If only the whole cigar was like that, it would be an easy guess.

I submitted my pick in confidence and I’ve done nothing but second guess the pick since I submitted. I’ve got a 50/50 shot of being right. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Thirds said:

I submitted my pick in confidence and I’ve done nothing but second guess the pick since I submitted. I’ve got a 50/50 shot of being right. 

Maybe I'm overconfident...but the flavors were distinctly xx... :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

my sample started with a touch of floral sweetness, leather, and resinous raisin (a little), it moved more floral in the 2nd third, but didn't change a whole lot until the final 3rd. that last third ramped-up in strength and sharpness, similar to what MigsG described. i also found the mushroom/earthiness migs described as well.

overall a good cigar, burn and draw was excellent. i know my choice, and already voted, but my inexperience with all of the marcas will most likely be revealed.

-dobbs

• Like 1