2019 FOH BLIND TASTING CIGAR NUMBER 1


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've never tasted a vegan. What are they like? I guess not meaty, not dairy, with a touch of yoga or pilates? ?

I'm still torn between two brands...

One by one, based on previous years practice. First reveal should be coming up soon.

I rarely smoke piramides in general because 80% of the ones I smoke end up plugged. I was recently in Nashville and stumbled upon some 13 year old Davidoff Special Bs (belicosos), of which I smoked many; of those I smoked, 0 were plugged. I may be back on the torpedo train.

I started this off by first looking at the wrapper, inspecting color, etc. I don't know how much this will help me, because last time I got the sampler I think I got very few correct if any. I then measure length and ring gauge and then cut (straight cut always for me) and smoke.

From the color of the wrapper and size alone I had a hunch as to what I was looking at. I spent the last few years smoking just about every marca's petit corona, so I'd like to say I have an inkling as to what profiles go with what marca. Smoking it confirmed what I was thinking... We'll see if I fooled myself.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Very pleased with this one. Looks like I was lucky; not a hint of youth, perfectly acclimated. Tasted like it had a few years on it, even though it probably hasn't. 

Sweet and sour opening. Then lots of sweetness with a hint of green pepper. Second third saw some resinous woody notes with the sweetness lilting in and out, interplaying with a slight earthy note, but finished in the last 3rd with a persistent sweet note and baking spices. 

Delicious.

I think I convinced myself that it was any and all of the 5 possible cigars at some point in its length. ?

However, I did settle on one and smoked an example of what I thought it was from 2017 the following day and it was very close. My track record in this competition suggests I have a 99.96% probability of being wrong, so what have I got to lose!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2019 at 9:18 PM, WoadyCypress said:

with a nice vegan finish.

I've never tasted a vegan. What are they like? I guess not meaty, not dairy, with a touch of yoga or pilates? ?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

So I was in the midst of moving when this all happened and I was out for nearly 3 months with military training. My wife was about a month behind me so they sat for a while with our new neighbors before they could get in the humidor.  Finally home and I just wanted to sit out and have a good cigar and couldn’t wait to test my palette.  Lots of familiar flavors but it came down to two in the end.  I’m sure it was neither of the two after doing this for two years but it’s still fun!!!  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thoroughly enjoyed Cigar #1 on this fine Sunday morning, paired with some Maui Coffee Roasters Chocolate Mac Nut coffee. Here are my notes:

Cold aroma: Leather, Hay, Sweet tobacco 

Draw was great, just on the tight side of perfect. Cold draw flavor was quite vegetal.

1st third: Chocolate, Cedar, Capsicum, and just a slight indian spice wafting around. Delicious start.

2nd third: More of the same, with mushrooms joining the vegetal base. Quite savory, not a lot of sweetness.

Final third: The same flavors become more edgy, a sign of youth methinks. There’s a sourdough sharpness in the picture. Strength ramps up to full. While mouthfeel suffers slightly from the sharpness, the aroma becomes magnificent.

This was a really nice cigar, only time will tell if I’m on point with my pick. Good luck gang!

IMG_0075.thumb.jpg.f4342b889d16b6df7dd023ea37a4df32.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/3/2019 at 1:07 AM, GavLew79 said:

I've never tasted a vegan. What are they like? I guess not meaty, not dairy, with a touch of yoga or pilates? ?

Also a touch of patchouli oil. ?

I am going to smoke mine this week.   I was waivering on weather to get in on it since I have limited experience but figured at least I will probably be smoking some cigars I have never smoked yet.   I will try to smoke this later this week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I thoroughly enjoyed Cigar #1 on this fine Sunday morning, paired with some Maui Coffee Roasters Chocolate Mac Nut coffee. Here are my notes:

Cold aroma: Leather, Hay, Sweet tobacco 

Draw was great, just on the tight side of perfect. Cold draw flavor was quite vegetal.

1st third: Chocolate, Cedar, Capsicum, and just a slight indian spice wafting around. Delicious start.

2nd third: More of the same, with mushrooms joining the vegetal base. Quite savory, not a lot of sweetness.

Final third: The same flavors become more edgy, a sign of youth methinks. There’s a sourdough sharpness in the picture. Strength ramps up to full. While mouthfeel suffers slightly from the sharpness, the aroma becomes magnificent.

This was a really nice cigar, only time will tell if I’m on point with my pick. Good luck gang!

IMG_0075.thumb.jpg.f4342b889d16b6df7dd023ea37a4df32.jpg

Thanks for reviewing.  Not sure if it helps me, but I enjoy your view. ?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/8/2019 at 3:12 PM, Islandboy said:

Cedar, Capsicum, and just a slight indian spice wafting around...Quite savory, not a lot of sweetness...sourdough sharpness in the picture.

That's about as close to nailing it as one can get. I could have picked it by this description alone. There's only one Piramides that can be described this way...

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

That's about as close to nailing it as one can get. I could have picked it by this description alone. There's only one Piramides that can be described this way...

Thank you, Captain obvious :D

Let’s just hope we’re right.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Thank you, Captain obvious :D

Let’s just hope we’re right.

Thanks gents! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Based on everyone’s descriptions I felt I knew what this was going in.  Then I was greeted with initial puffs of cocoa flavored bread.  That threw me.  Then the remaining 1st and 2nd 3rds were all a the DNA of a specific marque...savory, sweet pepper. Delicious.  The final 3rd was something I didn’t particularly care for...harsh, bitter and likely too young. I had to purge it and it settled a little.  

Is it possible 3 vitolas were spliced in to one? I’m submitting my guess but I’m sure I’ll be surprised.  I’m no aficionado, that’s for sure.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought I knew what it was, based on the experience and what others described. Then I had two blasts of cream. Thick delicious cream. I'm still going with my first choice because I know when I over think it I get it wrong. Last time I was 0 for 5 haha.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/13/2019 at 4:22 PM, prodigy said:

I thought I knew what it was, based on the experience and what others described. Then I had two blasts of cream. Thick delicious cream. I'm still going with my first choice because I know when I over think it I get it wrong. Last time I was 0 for 5 haha.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
 

The cream hit me initially and it totally threw me for a loop.  Then it disappeared.  Definitely harder than it seems! 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was plugged to hell unfortunately, but there were some moments of greatness - particularly from the ambient aroma actually. Whifs of sourdough and ginger-spice that were just divine. Sort of holiday-season cake flavors actually. Like others, the last third of mine was rough - right as the draw starts to open up, of course. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/15/2019 at 7:04 PM, Thirds said:

The cream hit me initially and it totally threw me for a loop.  Then it disappeared.  Definitely harder than it seems! 

I tasted that too...a few blasts. Really delish. If only the whole cigar was like that, it would be an easy guess.

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, MigsG said:

I tasted that too...a few blasts. Really delish. If only the whole cigar was like that, it would be an easy guess.

I submitted my pick in confidence and I’ve done nothing but second guess the pick since I submitted. I’ve got a 50/50 shot of being right. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Thirds said:

I submitted my pick in confidence and I’ve done nothing but second guess the pick since I submitted. I’ve got a 50/50 shot of being right. 

Maybe I'm overconfident...but the flavors were distinctly xx... :D

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.