I have to say that this is one industry that I would love to be part of. Having followed it for three years now, the upside is simply so bloody huge. 

The link is at the bottom for the story. 

Impossible Whopper's plant patties taste almost like real meat — and that's worrying cattle farmers

By Craig Reucassel

Updated 

I'm in a Burger King in Missouri ordering two Whoppers for myself. In my defence, this is research for Foreign Correspondent.

Key points:

• St Louis's 59 Burger King stores are trialling the Impossible Whopper, which is made without meat
  • The maker of the plant-based patty says feeding a growing population with animal products is "extremely inefficient"
  • Missouri was the first US state to pass a labelling law to regulate use of the term "meat"

A promotional photo for the Impossible Whopper sold at Burger King.

This Burger King branch, in the state's capital St Louis, is the latest battleground in the "fake meat" wars in the United States.

The city's 59 Burger Kings have been nominated as the first of the chain's stores to test the newest Impossible burger. It's a burger made without meat, but which is claimed to taste like the real thing.

The woman who takes my order says they've already sold out of the plant-based alternatives twice and while I'm there, several other customers order the Impossible Whopper.

But will it really become a popular choice for Burger King clientele or merely a novelty item on the menu, like a McDonald's salad?

One woman I speak to is a vegetarian returning after being so impressed the first time, she's brought her husband with her.

Continue

And finally...what a great Tshirt!

A man wears a slogan shirt at a meat festival in the United States.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Soylent Green is better.

Texture! Say texture!!!

Why refer to it as meat.....

List of ingredients

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

1 minute ago, bdw1984 said:

I just can't bring myself to try it.  I know a bunch of people that like it, can't do it.  

looking for a member to do a side by side review.....step on up :D

9 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

looking for a member to do a side by side review.....step on up :D

Age 10:  I dare you to eat that.  I’ll pay you $5 if you do.

Age 50: I dare you to eat that.  I’ll give you a CoRo if you do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beyond Burger patties are sold in Coles, and is also available at Grill'd and Lord of the Fries, for Aussies who want to try.

I've had a vegan meal once, but that was because I got hoodwinked by a lady. :rotfl:

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Beyond Burger patties are sold in Coles, and is also available at Grill'd and Lord of the Fries, for Aussies who want to try.

I've had a vegan meal once, but that was because I got hoodwinked by a lady. :rotfl:

A good "hoodwink" will get me to do a lot of things too

I’ve had the impossible burger on a few occasions. A few of the smaller burger chains here in NYC have them on the menu, and my girlfriend’s a vegetarian, so I’ve taken bites of hers (haven’t been able to bring myself to order one for myself; I’m at a burger joint for a reason - a beef burger). They’re not bad. I’m not convinced that they’re healthier than the real thing, though (I’m not nutritionist, but the ingredient list doesn’t instill confidence), so I’ll stick with beef for now. I tell you what, though - the girlfriend’s VERY excited about BK getting the impossible burger, but others I’ve talked to are very apprehensive about them. Most are also weary of the ingredients list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, McBeardface said:

I’ve had the impossible burger on a few occasions. A few of the smaller burger chains here in NYC have them on the menu, and my girlfriend’s a vegetarian, so I’ve taken bites of hers (haven’t been able to bring myself to order one for myself; I’m at a burger joint for a reason - a beef burger). They’re not bad. I’m not convinced that they’re healthier than the real thing, though (I’m not nutritionist, but the ingredient list doesn’t instill confidence), so I’ll stick with beef for now. I tell you what, though - the girlfriend’s VERY excited about BK getting the impossible burger, but others I’ve talked to are very apprehensive about them. Most are also weary of the ingredients list.

Completely understand health concerns on the ingredient side but early days yet.  The market for this product in countries such as India is huge. 

Becoming more common at some big chains in Canada and Beyond Beef seems to be the leader.

Beyond Meat celebrated its IPO on May 2. Its stock skyrocketed 163% that day, marking the best initial public offering of 2019. The company's IPO left every other debut in the dust, including Uber Technologies' highly anticipated foray into the public market.May 14, 2019.

Great for people that like that kind of thing but if I’m have a burger, it is beef. Don’t see myself ever trying one.

I sell Impossible Burgers at my restaurant. This whole Burger King deal disrupted production causing me some issues but I digress. For those that eat the real thing, it tastes weird but better than Beyond Meat imho. It certainly has a meat like texture and look and when dressed up with accompaniments on a bun it is almost like the real thing...almost. However, all that soy will give you boobs...js.?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You know I look forward to a good meal but now there is always someone wanting you to feel bad for eating meat or dairy or or or anything that doesnt taste like your UPS box..☹

I bought a pack of beyond beef recently out of curiosity. They don’t grill incredibly well. The coconut oil also gives them a weird mouthfeel. 

I don’t think it tasted horrible, especially with pickles, lettuce, tomato, and cheese. But, I think they’ve still got a ways to go. Definitely not mistaking it for ground beef.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, GinFizzLove said:

I bought a pack of beyond beef recently out of curiosity. They don’t grill incredibly well. The coconut oil also gives them a weird mouthfeel. 

I don’t think it tasted horrible, especially with pickles, lettuce, tomato, and cheese. But, I think they’ve still got a ways to go. Definitely not mistaking it for ground beef.

I agree on the mouthfeel and to me it had a weird aftertaste. The Impossible is better on both fronts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, targa88 said:

List of ingredients

Water, Soy Protein Concentrate, Coconut Oil, Sunflower Oil, Natural Flavors, 2% or less of: Potato Protein, Methylcellulose, Yeast Extract, Cultured Dextrose, Food Starch Modified, Soy Leghemoglobin, Salt, Soy Protein Isolate, Mixed Tocopherols (Vitamin E), Zinc Gluconate, Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Sodium Ascorbate (Vitamin C), Niacin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Vitamin B12.

Sounds bloody terrible..the real thing from maccas is bloody awful...not meat as I know the definition. I am reading more and more every day about the plant based pilgrimage  . Athletes especially....you cannot be as strong as an ox if you don't eat meat..Every see an Ox eat meat .? 

• Like 1

Right now while there is REAL meat to eat in a burger, I'll always choose the meat.

Saying that however, there will come a time when beef will be so expensive, so scarce due to growing populations, that Burger Kind Type meat patties (Which to my surprise look delicious) will eventually become the norm. I eat food for the taste and enjoyment so if an impossible burger gets the job done for the flavour, mouth-feel, look and health benefits, then I'm all in.

So with the Impossible Burger, why not wash that down with some Grasshopper juice ;) 

Other alternatives on the horizon also include, insect (Grasshopper) protein based food products.

• Like 1

No thanks. I am almost 53, healthy and have been eating REAL beef from cows my whole life. No need for an artificial product that uses genetic engineering and has higher sodium levels that real red meat. I enjoy real burgers, real filet mignon steaks and real meat. The vegan folks can have at it. More power to them. And to the anti-cow crowd, here in the USA cattle farmers are not going anywhere. At least not in my lifetime.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

"VeganStreet".com? Hilarious. ?  In all seriousness MIKA, nobody here on a forum which promotes cigar smoking should "nanny mommy"  any member here for the food or drink choices they choose to make. 

• Like 2

I was a butcher for years and see the rise of faux meat as an inevitable thing. The state of mass farming is in shambles (referring to North America) its terrible for the environment and the meat quality is trash. The rise of Faux meat (plus how expensive a low quality steak is at the grocery store) will make people realize the beef you should be eating is the proper stuff raised on a local farm. the money goes to a hard working family, the beef isn't filled with antibiotics, its better for your health and most importantly IT TASTES BETTER, for Burgers, go to your local butcher and get ground chuck and ground brisket and mix those together. Meat is a treat, and into the future we're going to see beef prices continue to rise globally, might as well get the good stuff. 

• Like 4