• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Soylent Green is better.

Texture! Say texture!!!

Why refer to it as meat.....

I had one of the competitors (forget which) patties at work a couple of weeks ago. You could tell it was different but it tasted a lot closer to the real thing that any other vegan burger I've had before. I preferred it to the cheap patties they usually serve tbh! But agree with others nothing beats the real thing for me yet.

Fascinating tech. Hope it succeeds.

• Like 1

I think that many here who have had teen daughters/nieces/grand daughters has seen them at least experiment with a vegetarian phase. 

Cooking those early soy sausages/patties on the BBQ to make them feel part of the family BBQ was an eye opener. Remember how they use to taste :o

I am all for a massive improvement in this realm. I can't see a downside for the rest of us. 

vege bacon has been going for years. it has the consistency of cardboard, but if but in a BLT, it is vaguely enjoyable

Once point. haven't scientist worked out, that it's the processing of food thats giving everyone cancer.  How would these blended up beetroot patties be any different? if not worse?

I haven't tried the Burger King one but others, my wife is semi-vegan depending on how poorly it makes her feel  :pod:

There's one shining light I've found though:

No Bull burgers genuinely taste just like the real thing, the texture, look, smell, taste, everything. In fact unless I'm making myself real burgers from scratch, I pick them over store bought beef patties. Plus their half the calories so I can have two!!

A lot of other fake meats are pretty awful though, I'd say 98%. Some of the Quorn chicken things are just the same though, mostly the chicken nugget/southern fried things but I think that says more about the quality of chicken nuggets etc in general than the state of Quorn.

No Bull are great, B

2 hours ago, 99call said:

vege bacon has been going for years. it has the consistency of cardboard, but if but in a BLT, it is vaguely enjoyable

Once point. haven't scientist worked out, that it's the processing of food thats giving everyone cancer.  How would these blended up beetroot patties be any different? if not worse?

Vegan Bacon - get down holland & barret

160064__dsc0935_654899_crop.jpg

I don't think any processed food is good for you and ideally a whole food's diet would be the best but as far as I know meat & dairy are proven to be the most carcinogenic food groups.

4 minutes ago, JoeyGunz said:

No Bull are great, B

Vegan Bacon - get down holland & barret

160064__dsc0935_654899_crop.jpg

I don't think any processed food is good for you and ideally a whole food's diet would be the best but as far as I know meat & dairy are proven to be the most carcinogenic food groups.

Very strange that the've got for health food warning style packaging.  Looks like they are trying to play around with the concept, but just succeeded in making it look toxic 

6 hours ago, madandana said:

Is Burger King the best place to roll these out? Do BKs burgers taste like meat to begin with? 

I think you are on to their logic.?

CEO: How are we gonna roll these things out? They don't taste like burgers!

PR Director: Don't worry...Burger King expressed interest.

CEO: Perfect! This will be a step up for their customers.

• Haha 1

As you might imagine, beyond enjoying beer, coffee, whisky, cigars, I am a big, big foodie. Piled on top of that I'm in Alberta and we take our beef very seriously here.

With that said, I realize that on a long enough timescale meat as we know it is going to radically change around the world. I also recognize as I get older my diet needs to continue to improve.

All of that leading into the fact I tried the Impossible burger. In terms of mouthfeel and texture; I would say the texture is very close to beef, and the mouthfeel is a bit on the dry side but has enough juiciness to it that I can almost be convinced it's meat. The aftertaste lacks the umami of fattiness that beef gives you, and the overall flavor profile, while good, is not beef.

I think it's by far the best vegetarian burger I've ever tasted in my life, and 2nd place is not even remotely close.

I will eat it again, and I hope they continue to work on improving it.

I suppose I can see the interest.   Is BK really the herbivores market though? Seeing a large % of vegetarians are health nuts, I have a feeling that this option isn't going to have them lining up. It may pique enough interest that people will try it at BK, but will they make a habit out of BK meals.

I truly hope it gets popular so beef demand shifts and I can start getting some decent quality cow a decent price. I personally prefer bison to cow lately... These low quality cow cuts are insanely priced around me.

Food is good, and ever changing.

I have been in the meat business since 1975, working in most areas, from labourer in the beef plant through to running a federal abattoir.

Sales and sales training in COP (centre of the plate) for about 13years, past 9 sales for a food brokerage.

Over the years I've had occasion to try a large percentage of new vegan and vegetarian burgers as well as plant based non dairy cheese style products. I have enjoyed many of these products coming to market. some I have felt are not so good. One of the best restaurant meals I had in 2017 was at a vegan restaurant. Last week I tried a new beet and sunflower seed patty from a new vegan manufacturer we will be representing, I have a lot of others items they make which I will need to try over the coming weeks, and will probably prepare with a new vegan cheese like line also new.

I am a Meat Head, I am very particular about which cuts I buy, how I age them and I do the cutting. Enjoyed the heck out a nice braised Lamb Shank Sunday night and a great piece of grilled fresh Cod Saturday night. I have also paid closer attention to my fitness and diet over the years and probably eat less red meat and more seafood.

Fact is the vegetarian & vegan market is part of the future, stay healthy and always make time to relax with a nice cigar.

I think it’s great that there are better options for vegetarians and vegans out there and I believe there is huge growth potential for the industry. For me personally as a consumer, I much rather eat meat than genetically engineered food and the ingredient list is downright scary.

6 hours ago, eastburn84 said:

As a member of PETF I can not partake in the eating of faux.

The only ethical way to treat faux meats, is to release them back to the wild via your neatest trash receptacle.

#Faux lives matter

I am a proud member of P.E.T.A.    PEOPLE who EAT TASTY ANIMALS :rotfl:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Cheeseburgers are one of my all-time favorite foods and until a few years ago, I would eat at least a few or more every week.  That was, until my doctor had a very frank conversation with me ... no more than one serving of red meat PER WEEK!  Goodbye burgers, bacon, steaks, bacon, pork chops, bacon, ribs, and bacon.

I’m not crazy about Burger King, the Whooper isn’t my favorite burger, but dammit if I’m not waiting for the doors to open to try this meat-less burger when they start selling them.

Edit: In case anyone suggests it, I can’t get a new doctor.  Even though he makes me give up red meat, he also has zero issues with me smoking cigars every day so he’s my ride-or-die doctor for life.

• Like 1

Cheeseburgers are one of my all-time favorite foods and until a few years ago, I would eat at least a few or more every week.  That was, until my doctor had a very frank conversation with me ... no more than one serving of red meat PER WEEK!  Goodbye burgers, bacon, steaks, bacon, pork chops, bacon, ribs, and bacon.
I’m not crazy about Burger King, the Whooper isn’t my favorite burger, but dammit if I’m not waiting for the doors to open to try this meat-less burger when they start selling them.
Edit: In case anyone suggests it, I can’t get a new doctor.  Even though he makes me give up red meat, he also has zero issues with me smoking cigars every day so he’s my ride-or-die doctor for life.
Sounds like he might be vegan...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, ayepatz said:

I would rather eat a yard of my own excrement.

I triple dog dare ya!

13 hours ago, El Presidente said:

I think that many here who have had teen daughters/nieces/grand daughters has seen them at least experiment with a vegetarian phase.

Sexist!

I've no issues with vegetarian or vegan food / living. But I do always try to consider ingredients and how food is processed. Example: the ingredients in regular versus fat free half and half. I'd rather have the fat than what is added to the fat free.