To each his own but I can’t help but laugh that this is geared towards those that don’t eat meat but want something that tastes like it... ??‍♂️

Someone please let let me know when they make a carrot that tastes like pepperoni pizza

• Haha 4

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Soylent Green is better.

Texture! Say texture!!!

Why refer to it as meat.....

I've had several meatless burger/sausage things over the years... the good ones are fine and tasty on their own for what they are as a sort of sideshow and novelty to be tried once in a while when you're wasted on dirty martinis and at a friends place and nobody can drive to the nearest 24 hour fast food drive in, and all they have in the freezer is some soy patty abomination.

They'll never sub for the real thing though.

No go for me as I am on a low carb diet. One if these has a lot of carbs, one has less, I can't remember which is which. A real burger (sans roll) has zero carbs. I'd give it a try if I could.

I decided to take one for the team. Beyond burgers. Grilled on charcoal with Montreal seasoning. Had a coro and Grove double ipa while prepping the grill. I would eat them again, but it's definitely not a "real" burger, or even close. 2139a967d3c4a73fca0c8cd1ce8e3625.jpg9b8ead277785a7f121abe7a6ace3b574.jpga13ee2a5ceec81311381964f85ebdfd9.jpg845d3fdbe237f32c5ef3a82bc5ea0af6.jpg1d0166ea60e94f66796277089fc12680.jpg3d151588a204ff71e5458bdeca11d54a.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Guest Nekhyludov
52 minutes ago, Thirds said:

To each his own but I can’t help but laugh that this is geared towards those that don’t eat meat but want something that tastes like it... ??‍♂️

The makers of non-alcoholic beer would beg to differ, I suspect.

My partner's vegan, and I'm more of a human-shaped dumpster, so I've been pretty de facto vegan for some time now.

I feel like there's a culinary niche that meat chunks fill that tofu or potatoes won't do (although those two are really good for curry stand-ins). Seitan works for nugget-sized bits, there are some great ground beef subs for things like pasta sauces where ground beef isn't necessarily a focus, but a textural addition.

Coming home late night and the White Castle has Impossible Sliders - great for that state of mind and for bloody mary toppers.

Quick-service/casual restaurants & everyday cooking are great opportunities for vegan subs where you're not really focusing on the meat or splashing for a quality cut. Grilling and barbecuing in the summer? Not so much.

I'm very glad that vegan meat subs are becoming more prominent because those two sources are probably doing the most dietary and food-based ecological harm (at least to Americans).

• Like 3

I love this topic as I had  many many discussions about this a few months back.  I certainly can't claim to have any definitive answer about whether: A - what is the driving force of "faux meat's current popularity or B - whether it's here to stay.  But I can say this.    It's wildly popular in Los Angeles.  And there is something resonant about it.  I see people ordering "Impossible burgers add bacon" all the time.  So I know for a fact that for whatever reason, this product has crossed many lines, not strictly vegetarians/vegans.  My guess is that the message of "meat is bad for the environment" has taken hold to some extent and these products represent a "have your cake and eat it too" option.  There is another message that seems to be floating around, though.  And that is "eating a lot of meat is bad for you."  I'm not going to wade into a discussion as to whether that is true or not, but a quick check of the ingredient list of Beyond or Impossible products would seem to suggest that you're robbing Peter to pay Paul.  

From speaking to my customers, I think there are two very different mindsets happening and both are interesting.  For Meat-eaters, the faux-meat represents a kind of break.  You like eating meat but today you feel like eating one less hamburger.  It's a kind of "savings."  Maybe you want to bank that savings and have a huge steak tonight.  But regardless, by not eating that burger you are doing something good, be it for your body or for the environment.  For Vegetarians/Vegans, the faux meat is almost the opposite, it's an Indulgence.  Now when your friends go to the burger place and stuff their faces, you don't have to eat a salad.  You can participate in the enjoyment and tropes that others are experiencing.  I think that is a powerful experience.  

• Like 3

Seems this is a bit of a polarizing topic. My fiancé and I started buying beyond meat from the store to try it and we liked it just fine. It's a bit weird that it is made to have that meat-ish color and look but what it lacks is the fat that drips off of it. It's a bit hard to tell when it's cooked. It won't replace meat for me but it has become a bit of a regular purchase for us. I still eat out way too much and it's nearly impossible to avoid mass produced garbage meat full of hormones. Since it's difficult to control the sourcing of the meat you eat in even the nicest establishments, I try to balance it out by buying the highest quality meat when I do from specialty butchers who operate small farms. By the way, beyond meat does not have soy in it. Impossible does....and the sodium levels are pretty bad in these meat alternatives.

I will say I love soyrizo.  It's not the real thing but I can happily have a yummy breakfast scramble without a 24 bout of the squitts after.  Never gonna give up all meat but I love how far the substitutes have come in the last couple years.  It's only gonna get better.

Even Tyson is looking into vegan alternatives for chicken nuggets.  Replacing low grade trash meat with more environmentally and healthy alternatives is great for everyone.

Will veggie subs replace wagyu in my life?  Not a chance

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Faux meats scream over-processed food to me. And I am convinced that over-processing of food is the main problem. This just diverts the problem away from meat, and the resulting products need to be even more processed to make them resemble meat. Whole foods all the way. Everything in moderation. I like a good steak.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm waiting for the 60 day dry aged version to be released.  

24 minutes ago, IanMcLean68 said:

Faux meats scream over-processed food to me. And I am convinced that over-processing of food is the main problem. This just diverts the problem away from meat, and the resulting products need to be even more processed to make them resemble meat. Whole foods all the way. Everything in moderation. I like a good steak.

I agree with this whole heartedly.  My sister in law and her boyfriend are both vegans, and you would think vegans are healthy, until you know one.  The highly processed foods I have seen them eat just to avoid animal products is insane.  You would think vegans would embrace the vegan lifestyle of fresh vegetables and salad, but it is the total opposite. 

• Like 3

Just to show this is all just starting, I recently read they are working on beanless coffee. Essentially some thing made in a lab to mimic ingredients in a coffee bean. Thankfully still a few years away.

I can see the day when you want to consume something “real” you will pay a big premium.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 8/6/2019 at 9:50 AM, El Presidente said:

looking for a member to do a side by side review.....step on up :D

the ABC did a program on this recently. forget if it was 4 corners or foreign correspondent or what but fascinating stuff. they headed to a few BBQ events in the states and people were staggered by how close they were and the taste. 

at this stage, i think they are pretty expensive but that will change. and given that we need to feed an ever-increasing world population not to mention the climatic and environmental issues caused by cattle et al, it is coming in a big way. like it or not. easy to say i will never eat the stuff but it won't take long before real meat is ridiculously expensive and this is the norm. 

13 hours ago, Kitchen said:

I agree with this whole heartedly.  My sister in law and her boyfriend are both vegans, and you would think vegans are healthy, until you know one.  The highly processed foods I have seen them eat just to avoid animal products is insane.  You would think vegans would embrace the vegan lifestyle of fresh vegetables and salad, but it is the total opposite. 

my niece is a vegan. i have some issues with vegans but she is perfectly healthy. my aunt and uncle both doctors (not her parents, others) and we have talked to them. one has done a lot of research. there are certain things vegans have to be really careful about - i think iron is one (to be honest, having no interest in becoming one, i did not take much notice) but if they are, they can be perfectly healthy.

my issues are when her grandmother gives her a beautiful woollen jumper for christmas and she rejects it as can't wear wool. spare me. and when i get told how much better it is for the environment, i ask how does she explain the vast area of native forests in places like indonesia together with all the wildlife, which get destroyed to grow palms and other plants. that just makes me a troublemaker. 

4 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

my niece is a vegan. i have some issues with vegans but she is perfectly healthy. my aunt and uncle both doctors (not her parents, others) and we have talked to them. one has done a lot of research. there are certain things vegans have to be really careful about - i think iron is one (to be honest, having no interest in becoming one, i did not take much notice) but if they are, they can be perfectly healthy.

my issues are when her grandmother gives her a beautiful woollen jumper for christmas and she rejects it as can't wear wool. spare me. and when i get told how much better it is for the environment, i ask how does she explain the vast area of native forests in places like indonesia together with all the wildlife, which get destroyed to grow palms and other plants. that just makes me a troublemaker. 

Perhaps your niece is different, especially with doctors as parents.  My whole things with vegans is, if they ate fresh vegetables and fruits, and grains, I would kind of be okay with possibly agree they are leading a healthier lifestyle.  However, the stuff I see most vegans eat are processed to hell and back, along with anything else that does not have animal products, like potato chips, pasta, candy, way to much chocolate.  

My biggest issue is them not eating honey because it is forced bumble bee labor.  This just shows a total lack of knowledge in my opinion.  Bees make honey, all day every day.  They make a lot more then what they actually needed, like almost three times more.  Taking half of their honey is not going effect the hive one bit, but for some reason they cant eat honey.  

Just now, Kitchen said:

Perhaps your niece is different, especially with doctors as parents.  My whole things with vegans is, if they ate fresh vegetables and fruits, and grains, I would kind of be okay with possibly agree they are leading a healthier lifestyle.  However, the stuff I see most vegans eat are processed to hell and back, along with anything else that does not have animal products, like potato chips.  

My biggest issue is them not eating honey because it is forced bumble bee labor.  This just shows a total lack of knowledge in my opinion.  Bees make honey, all day every day.  They make a lot more then what they actually needed, like almost three times more.  Taking half of their honey is not going effect the hive one bit, but for some reason they cant eat honey.  

not parents - other side of the family, though still quite close. 

far be it from me to ever defend a vegan but the honey/bee stuff is simply part of the nothing from animals edict that they practice (not saying i agree). honey comes from bees. for them, it makes just as much sense as not eating meat. it is not about affecting the hive (actually i'm buggered if i know what it really is about). 

i do enjoy pointing out that honey is actually bee vomit. 

2 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

not parents - other side of the family, though still quite close. 

far be it from me to ever defend a vegan but the honey/bee stuff is simply part of the nothing from animals edict that they practice (not saying i agree). honey comes from bees. for them, it makes just as much sense as not eating meat. it is not about affecting the hive (actually i'm buggered if i know what it really is about). 

i do enjoy pointing out that honey is actually bee vomit. 

Keeping with the bee thing, I read an article recently that some vegans are taking issue with how we use large commercial honey bee hives to assist with pollination of farms.  Turns out our farms are much too large to be pollinated with just the local bee population, so honey farmers rent out and move their hives from farm to farm to assist.  So, for some hardcore vegans, this means that most vegetables are the product of forced bee labor too and they are looking for a solution.  

Crazy!