14 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

not parents - other side of the family, though still quite close. 

far be it from me to ever defend a vegan but the honey/bee stuff is simply part of the nothing from animals edict that they practice (not saying i agree). honey comes from bees. for them, it makes just as much sense as not eating meat. it is not about affecting the hive (actually i'm buggered if i know what it really is about). 

i do enjoy pointing out that honey is actually bee vomit. 

I really can't understand their thing against honey. The most amazing thing about honey is that it never goes bad. Almost completely nonperishable. Natures high-energy survival food and doubles as a good antibacterial wound dressing in a survival situation, not that you are going to go and chase down bee hives, wherever the heck they are, with a big wound, but just sayin'! Many have said that bees are a highly endangered species in general. It's worth our while to invest in their survival. Keeping hives helps.

• Like 1

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Soylent Green is better.

Texture! Say texture!!!

Why refer to it as meat.....

3 hours ago, Kitchen said:

Keeping with the bee thing, I read an article recently that some vegans are taking issue with how we use large commercial honey bee hives to assist with pollination of farms.  Turns out our farms are much too large to be pollinated with just the local bee population, so honey farmers rent out and move their hives from farm to farm to assist.  So, for some hardcore vegans, this means that most vegetables are the product of forced bee labor too and they are looking for a solution.  

Crazy!

Anthropomorphism at its worst.  Pretty tough to force a bee to do something they don’t want to...

Separately,  even though I’m a meat lover, I also love veggies so it’s not a big deal for me.  If I’m going to eat a veggie burger, I’d prefer it’s actually nutritionally healthy and I can tell that it’s made from beans and mushrooms, etc. than a facsimile that has worse nutrition numbers than real beef or bison. 

10 hours ago, IanMcLean68 said:

I really can't understand their thing against honey. The most amazing thing about honey is that it never goes bad. Almost completely nonperishable. Natures high-energy survival food and doubles as a good antibacterial wound dressing in a survival situation, not that you are going to go and chase down bee hives, wherever the heck they are, with a big wound, but just sayin'! Many have said that bees are a highly endangered species in general. It's worth our while to invest in their survival. Keeping hives helps.

certainly not suggesting it makes any sense to me. but if their thing is no meat/living animal products etc etc, whether it be for religious reasons or perceived health reasons or whatever, if they are going to stick to it, that includes bees. and yes, i think it is box of frogs stuff. 

7 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

certainly not suggesting it makes any sense to me. but if their thing is no meat/living animal products etc etc, whether it be for religious reasons or perceived health reasons or whatever, if they are going to stick to it, that includes bees. and yes, i think it is box of frogs stuff. 

Wonder if they wear anything made from silk or leather? Does your niece only wear Crocs?

4 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Well, if either are petroleum based, it would not be truly vegan :wink2:

I'll have to point this out that next time I am with my sister in law.  

4 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Well, if either are petroleum based, it would not be truly vegan :wink2:

I think the vegan test is if it squeeks when you step on it, it's exploitative to make products from it.

Mice slippers, a no-no. Parrot galoshes, they're right out. Elephant top hat, that's a grey area.