When you feel like you've given up smoking

On 8/7/2019 at 3:12 AM, 99call said:

Whenever I smoke cigars on autopilot, I realise 'lady nicotine' is playing a part, and I really don't like that, it will play on my mind, and I'll want to either stop for a while, or definitely cut down.  

There is no getting away from it, smoking cigars is bad for your health, if you don't want to smoke you definitely shouldn't.   That said, if a special occasion pops up, and you have some nice cigars to hand, it's always an incredible treat.    Like with all vices, we should be the master of them, not them the master of us. 

I can't believe I am saying this but I am like Piggy and just go with the flow.  There are times when I might smoke a bunch in a week and when the weather is crappy so a couple months and smoke nothing.  I certainly don't smoke enough for nicotine to enter into the equation.  I smoke stogies because I want to...not bc I need to do so.

• Like 1

The weather is the biggest determinant for when I take breaks in cigar smoking. My 4 season porch is the only smoking lounge nearby and it can be uncomfortable to vent the smoke in the dead of winter.

I've never really noticed any addiction/dependency issues with cigars. In fact, I think there have been studies suggesting that the slower nicotine transmission of premium cigars can't create as strong of an addiction connection as the fast absorption of cigarettes through the lungs. Can't link it off the top of my head though. 

I smoked 1-3 cigars every day for the last six years.  Before that it was 1-3 cigars every week, and before that it was 1 cigar every week or less.  At this rate, I’ll have a box per day habit by the time I’m 60!

I need to cut back.  I enjoy giving myself  break and letting my taste buds and palate “reset.”  The first cigar after a break is the best ... and then it starts all over again!

My problem isn’t because it’s a habit or addiction.  My problem is I reward myself a cigar for doing work, both at work and at home.  Now, I have a hard time convincing myself to get anything done if there’s not a cigar waiting for me afterwards.  The cycle is vicious: cigar to work, work to buy cigars, repeat.

I have never been a heavy smoker mostly due to a lack of free time. I have been taking a break from work since the company I worked for restructured in April turning my 15 minute commute into a 1 1/2 hour trip each way. No thanks! Been there, sick of doing that. Naturally I thought I'd be putting a serious dent in my collection. It has not happened.

I think of cigars as a special treat smoking maybe two per day tops either in a relaxed setting or on the golf course. When I smoke constantly I find it tougher to pick up on the subtle flavors in a good cigar. I don't mind long breaks and feel it makes me appreciate the cigars I get to smoke on those occasions when i get to truely relax and enjoy them.

That said I tend to smoke more on holiday especially if there are cigar related activities scheduled. 

Sad thing is my graduation ceremony for my 2nd masters degree was last weekend. It was a nice 75 degrees outside and I still didn't crack my humidor. Maybe I'll make it a point to grab a nice 20 year old BCG tomorrow to celebrate finally.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1