Montecristo 1935 Leyenda unknown code, 18 (MCRW) *

So just read this week's competition as I was smoking this bad boy so I thought I'd give it a go.

Construction - good draw/burn requiring minimal touch ups. 

1st third - Big flavor from the get go. Baking spices and coffee are the predominant ones, with cedar underlying the whole thing. Thin smoke with an airy mouth feel. Very enjoyable.

2nd third - Still medium to full bodied flavor, with a strength kick. Coffee becomes the dominant flavor, and I detect some underlying cocoa notes

Final third - most of the flavor abruptly drops and all I'm left with is tarry tobacco, probably due to young age. Put it out with about an inch and a half left

Very enjoyable smoke overall, up until just past the half way point. Picked this up at the LCDH in Cozumel, and the Mexican government apparently requires the entire box to be covered in warning stickers so the only clue I got as to when this guy was rolled was from the owner who said it was from 2018. Paid about $40 for it, and given the price I'd say this is a hard pass given you can get especiales no 1 for about a third of the price, and these are in my opinion the best monties out there. 

87/100

15652921026174794987506821311382.thumb.jpg.7127b6bd9b808fc0ec96f1110aedee78.jpg

IMG_20190808_161956.jpg

• Like 3

Seems that you got a dud one since flavour was totally mute in my opinion (fuller than other Montecristo cigars). I had Leyenda from FOH and it was the greatest cigar I've ever tried! I think you should try this cigar again from our host.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Seems that you got a dud one since flavour was totally mute in my opinion (fuller than other Montecristo cigars). I had Leyenda from FOH and it was the greatest cigar I've ever tried! I think you should try this cigar again from our host.

I can see your point, however at that price point I'd say a dud is pretty unforgivable.... I'd rather do regular production, as a dud from those is much, much less painful

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RubenF said:

I can see your point, however at that price point I'd say a dud is pretty unforgivable.... I'd rather do regular production, as a dud from those is much, much less painful

Had the same experience from EL which was totally plugged and dull. However, I'll give an another chance by getting better ones except Anejados cigars. Anjeados cigars are the cigars that I'd rather pick regular productions since they are nothing special from regular productions.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm curious about the Leyenda and will soon order one just to try. I've smoked very few Montecristos, the only one I remember is the number four which did not make a big impression on me. My favorite regulars are the Cohiba Siglo 4 and 6 and then the Robusto. Do you think I will like the Leyenda? I'll report back once I have tried it.

1 hour ago, Brad9 said:

I'm curious about the Leyenda and will soon order one just to try. I've smoked very few Montecristos, the only one I remember is the number four which did not make a big impression on me. My favorite regulars are the Cohiba Siglo 4 and 6 and then the Robusto. Do you think I will like the Leyenda? I'll report back once I have tried it.

I've really enjoyed the Dumas, great smoke for the age of the one I had. 

• Thanks 1

Leyenda are excellent!! The best of the bunch by a long shot imo. Monte on steroids!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Leyenda are excellent!! The best of the bunch by a long shot imo. Monte on steroids!!

Same goes on to me!  Those who still have not tried Leyenda yet, please buy 6er or box and you'll thank me for that! 

• Like 1

Hi taxes in Mexico.  They have to pay wholesale what other LCDH sells for at retail.  Had a long talk with the LCDH store in Cozumel about this, how frustrating it was for them, that even though they sell at high prices their profit margin isn't high.