What is the song that moves you emotionally?

When I first heard this piece of music I had to ask what this was, the guy said it's jazz. I probably spent a year looking for the album, on CTI. I them began buying the albums of all the various artists on the lable. That would have been around 1972, still moved by this.

Music Is Good.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cat Steven's Father & Son It kind of sums up life, we are all too busy working so that we do well to really enjoy the good things in life. My Grandfather sadly passed away after a very v

This song moves me like no other...

8 hours ago, Thirds said:

I’m not moved emotionally all that often but this scene and I guess this song gets me. It’s the only time I can remember tearing up at a movie.  

Do you feel me @Buck14?  Go Irish! 

I wanted to go to Notre Dame for College (University for our international friends) since I was 4 years old so I can strongly relate to this Rudy scene and remember the day I was admitted and got that admittance letter pretty much verbatim.

One of my best friend’s little brother did that same route as Rudy. No chance getting into Notre Dame directly out of high school, so went to Holy Cross Junior College for a year or two worked his ass off and eventually got into ND.

In fact two of my best friends from ND were waitlisted and didn’t get admitted until a few days before school began freshman year, so they had Rudy-type stories too.

Hollywood took some creative license with the football parts in Rudy, but the story of the main character is told pretty close to the real life happenings.

Interesting note, they filmed the “game” against Georgia Tech that is the climax of the movie during halftime of a real Notre Dame football game that I was at. Kinda fun.

Outstanding scene.

Never give up. While it’s nice to have people pulling for you, nothing is as motivating as when people doubt you as they do Rudy throughout the movie. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Buck14 said:

I wanted to go to Notre Dame for College (University for our international friends) since I was 4 years old so I can strongly relate to this Rudy scene and remember the day I was admitted and got that admittance letter pretty much verbatim.

One of my best friend’s little brother did that same route as Rudy. No chance getting into Notre Dame directly out of high school, so went to Holy Cross Junior College for a year or two worked his ass off and eventually got into ND.

In fact two of my best friends from ND were waitlisted and didn’t get admitted until a few days before school began freshman year, so they had Rudy-type stories too.

Hollywood took some creative license with the football parts in Rudy, but the story of the main character is told pretty close to the real life happenings.

Interesting note, they filmed the “game” against Georgia Tech that is the climax of the movie during halftime of a real Notre Dame football game that I was at. Kinda fun.

Outstanding scene.

Never give up. While it’s nice to have people pulling for you, nothing is as motivating as when people doubt you as they do Rudy throughout the movie. 

Thanks for sharing and I had no idea about the GT game being filmed at halftime.  That’s awesome.  Been to quite a few games but as a fan, not an alum.  

6 hours ago, Thirds said:

Thanks for sharing and I had no idea about the GT game being filmed at halftime.  That’s awesome.  Been to quite a few games but as a fan, not an alum.  

Most great Notre Dame fans didn’t go to the school!

Go ☘️ 

I’m not from the south, nor do I wish they had won the war, so I don't know why this song has always been so moving to me.  Especially the last verse.

Maybe because it sadly reminds me of a time of Americans killing other Americans.

Virgil Caine is the name, and I served on the Danville train
'Til Stoneman's cavalry came and tore up the tracks again
In the winter of '65, we were hungry, just barely alive
By May the tenth, Richmond had fell, it's a time I remember, oh so well

The night they drove old Dixie down, and the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down, and the people were singin' they went
La, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la, la

Back with my wife in Tennessee, when one day she called to me
"Virgil, quick, come see, there goes Robert E Lee"
Now I don't mind choppin' wood, and I don't care if the money's no good
Ya take what ya need and ya leave the rest
But they should never have taken the very best

<chorus>

Like my father before me, I will work the land
Like my brother above me, who took a rebel stand
He was just eighteen, proud and brave, but a Yankee laid him in his grave
I swear by the mud below my feet
You can't raise a Caine back up when he's in defeat

The night they drove old Dixie down, and the bells were ringing
The night they drove old Dixie down, and all the people were singin', they went
Na, la, na, la, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na, na

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 8:29 PM, Hammer Smokin' said:

not sure how to embed YT videos on this board.

Just copy and paste from YouTube.com.  It often doesn’t work if you do it from the app, so you have to do it from the actual site.

Good pick.  I love this song too.

56 minutes ago, lovethehaze said:

From 1:33 always gets me .. reminds me of when I was a young pup

Irish trumpets?   Being from the UK I've never heard of this.   Is this an US interpretation of Irish culture? i'm not saying is or isn't, genuinely asking the question

Here in the UK  I've only ever of this kind of music culturally attached to the coal mining towns of the North of England and Wales, never Ireland

Love hearing Edward Elgar's 'Nimrod' done by a brass band

• Like 1

Irish trumpets?   Being from the UK I've never heard of this.   Is this an US interpretation of Irish culture? i'm not saying is or isn't, genuinely asking the question
Here in the UK  I've only ever of this kind of music culturally attached to the coal mining towns of the North of England and Wales, never Ireland

No. It’s the university of Notre Dames fight song. This is their university band playing it. My father went to school there and since I was little we would go before the games and watch this... or into a quad and watch them play. Always gets the juices flowing before a game.
But I do like brass bands and the music they play as a general rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

This is a good one too ... maybe a little to Irish for u ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, lovethehaze said:

This is a good one too ... maybe a little to Irish for u ....

Haha, no I love Irish music.  I'm Welsh myself.   I just always get a bit confused, as whenever I see Celtic culture in the US, as it has bits of everything, and always seems a little disjointed.    I guess this is always the way cultures travel, and like Chinese whispers, things get left out, and things get added in. 

The only thing I was originally saying was that, if you said "brass band" in the UK or Ireland, it's very much a Coal mining town thing, and very much centred in the old coal mining towns of Wales, and the North of England. 

I enjoyed your post, it's just not something I would recognise as being Irish in anyway, but again all cultures slowly morph into something new.        

• Like 1

I've noted that our friends who live outside the USA fail to grasp the significance of loyalty to particular institutions?  Long ago, I graduated from a lowly state institution (University of Iowa) where one could attend nearly any of the colleges offered.  Today, many of those very colleges have 2 year waiting lists irrespective of the educational qualifications of the applicant.