Min

Bolivar Petit Corona and Bolivar Tubos No.2

20 minutes ago, Min said:

Bolivar Tubos No. 2  has a higher price than the BPC. 

Yes...go on, why do you think that is the case, @Min? I can give you a hint, it's got nothing to do with the quality of the cigars themselves.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Yes...go on, why do you think that is the case, @Min? I can give you a hint, it's got nothing to do with the quality of the cigars themselves.

Due to unnecessary tubes is my guess

Yes, and the box itself needs to be bigger to accommodate those tubes and hence it's not a standard 25-count dress box, which would be cheaper as more of these are made annually.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Min said:

I tend to avoid Tubes

Okay, and that's fair enough. A great majority of 'tubos-only' releases that were machine made prior to 2002 remain a lower quality option after becoming hand made. For example, from the list below, these include the H.Upmann Coronas Junior, Coronas Major and Coronas Minor, the Hoyo de Monterrey Coronation, the Partagas Coronas Junior, Coronas Senior and Partagas de Luxe, the Punch Coronation and Petit Coronation and the Romeo y Julieta Romeo No.1, Romeo No.2 and Romeo No.3.

However, personally speaking, I would not include those regular production cigars that come in 3-pack tubos options (such as the Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo San Juan, Rio de Seco and Trinidad Vigia, for example) or alternative tubo box options (such as the Punch Punch and Romeo y Julieta Churchills).

Furthermore, there is the example of the Montecristo Tubos (the last regular production cigar that is a Coronas Grandes or 42 ring gauge x 155 mm in length or 6⅛ inches, other than the Cohiba Siglo III), which comes in a tubed packaging option only. Recent history on 24:24 listings suggests that the varieties that have been offered that were from 2014 and 2015 and thus 3 to 4 years aged already, and subsequently were all in huge demand equating to all these listings selling out quickly, well then, the response from our members on our forum suggests that these tubed options should not be avoided. In fact, I would advocate that they should be actively sought out by any cigar enthusiasts were possible.

Finally, I would enthuse that the Bolivar Tubos No.3 is a cigar that should similarly be sought out by enthusiasts at the present time, although perhaps not with the same fervour as 24:24 listings of Montecristo Tubos, on account of its recently announced discontinuation in 2019. Best of luck to our members that secure a box from hereon in.

1551028119_FireShotCapture028-CurrentProductionCigars-CubanCigarWebsite-www.cubancigarwebsite_com.thumb.png.172756a1cdc975362f43b2af941eabbf.png1361221123_FireShotCapture029-CurrentProductionCigars-CubanCigarWebsite-www.cubancigarwebsite_com.thumb.png.df91049256a33d2efbeb7203d6cd86b2.png1237143393_FireShotCapture032-CurrentProductionCigars-CubanCigarWebsite-www.cubancigarwebsite_com.thumb.png.08da42330a483fb7f8b12cbd9de13a6b.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bolivar tubos no2 isn’t labeled petit corona in the factory name, it’s labeled marevas according to CCW. I haven’t smoked the boli no2 in the last 2 years or so but my memory tells me it wasn’t like the punch coronations, mille fleur, romeo no2 in terms of quality.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Min said:

Isn't Bolivar tubos NO. 2 basically BPC in tubos? 

This is a very good question that's always a matter of some controversy. There are quite a few experienced / knowledgeable members here who claim it were a different cigar, as do some text books as well. I, for one have my difficulties to see much of a difference between properly matured versions of PC and Tubos No. 2. At least I fail to see a clear, intended difference in blending between the two. Perhaps most perceived differences come from the different ways of packaging, and as such derive from a different maturing behaviour between dress box, cab and tube, and probably also due to the cedar that comes with the tubo packaging?

But make no mistake - the Bolívar Tubos series is not a "gas-station" offering. I am with John in that their current run can only wholeheartedly be recommended. In particular the BT3, if you are one for the occasional full-flavoured cigar that packs a punch.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/9/2019 at 5:42 PM, JohnS said:

The Bolivar Petit Corona, despite being named a petit corona, is a higher grade in quality than the Bolivar Tubos No.2. This doesn't mean that the Bolivar Tubos No.2 is a poor quality cigar, on the contrary, it isn't, but the point is that these cigars are different.

^This ^

BPC is a little rougher when young whereas the No2 is ready to go. 

However, the BPC ages magnificently whereas the No2 remains about the same. 

It also becomes clear, that the BPC tobacco exhibits a much more complex array of flavors. Floral, fruity, bold. 

The No2, has some similar attributes. But nowhere near as refined and balanced as the BPC. The No2 has a slightly unpleasant earthy flavor on the retro. Maybe life in the tubo was hard (I remove from tubo before storing).

I’ve burned many many boxes of both. The BPC is my preference, the No2 are oftentimes gifts to non-Cuban cigar smokers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/10/2019 at 12:46 PM, JohnS said:

Hoyo de Monterrey Coronation,

Hi John, hadn't come across this cigar before reading your post. I quite like Hoyo in general and wondered what you or others think about the Coronations, seems like a nice size too.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, FatPete said:

Hi John, hadn't come across this cigar before reading your post. I quite like Hoyo in general and wondered what you or others think about the Coronations, seems like a nice size too.

I'd certainly pick up a few to try, even age some. I think you'd find that they will still give you that Hoyo de Monterrey DNA profile, but be mindful that they are a 'cheap and cheerful'-type cigar, they won't give you complexity.

• Thanks 1

^This ^
BPC is a little rougher when young whereas the No2 is ready to go. 
However, the BPC ages magnificently whereas the No2 remains about the same. 
It also becomes clear, that the BPC tobacco exhibits a much more complex array of flavors. Floral, fruity, bold. 
The No2, has some similar attributes. But nowhere near as refined and balanced as the BPC. The No2 has a slightly unpleasant earthy flavor on the retro. Maybe life in the tubo was hard (I remove from tubo before storing).
I’ve burned many many boxes of both. The BPC is my preference, the No2 are oftentimes gifts to non-Cuban cigar smokers.

This is so accurate ...I second this entirely !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2