Thoughts to our members in Hong Kong

At risk of getting too political - I've been to China a number of time. I've been to Hong Kong a number of times. If you believe that good should defeat evil, then the people of Hong Kong need to win this battle. Look no further than Tibet or Taiwan for times where unchecked Chinese expansion has destabilized and oppressed people. I see no greater political threat to our planet. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Nate Chu said:

While the protests may be in the news a lot, it’s not affecting us a whole lot. Unless you’ve wanted to fly the last two days... I think most people are supportive of the protests here. We would like to see less violence and destruction of property on both sides though - keeping things peaceful.

See what happens at the airport today with the court order and how the police handle it...

Thanks for the thought Rob, and hello !

Is there worry about bad actors from the mainland infiltrating the protesters and committing violent acts to discredit the movement?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Is there worry about bad actors from the mainland infiltrating the protesters and committing violent acts to discredit the movement?

There hasn’t been any evidence of this at all, likely the local hk protestors would spot out any mainlanders in the midst as well without too much difficulty and call them out on the spot

At risk of getting too political - I've been to China a number of time. I've been to Hong Kong a number of times. If you believe that good should defeat evil, then the people of Hong Kong need to win this battle. Look no further than Tibet or Taiwan for times where unchecked Chinese expansion has destabilized and oppressed people. I see no greater political threat to our planet. 

What are you talking about? Do you know the history of China? Learn at least a school basic course of history before blaming China for ancient expansion.

I am opposed to violence, any conflicts should be solved by negotiations. I hope opponents will be reasonable and will find a way out of this situation without victims.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nKostyan said:

What are you talking about? Do you know the history of China? Learn at least a school basic course of history before blaming China for ancient expansion.

I am opposed to violence, any conflicts should be solved by negotiations. I hope opponents will be reasonable and will find a way out of this situation without victims. emoji3577.png

All I can say is I agree to disagree. Pretty good background in history, quite a bit of time spent throughout Asia, very strong feelings about China. ✌

4 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Asian history is unfortunately understood by very few.  It is a fascinating study but I suspect 90 % of the planet has no real idea as it simply isn't taught. It certainly isn't taught in Australia and we are at the arse end of the region :rolleyes:

The HK handback is going about as well as the Indian partition.  Well thought out. :whistle:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hoping for a peaceful resolution but when you put everything into the perspective of how the party wishes to move forward, I don't see anything other than a win for the house now a missive has come down from the top

There's talk of the UK expanding the dual citizenship programme but that seems more of a aftereffect than a solution. 

I think it's been a long time coming

10 hours ago, Chucko8 said:

Thanks all for the thoughts. Whilst I have tried my best to stay clear of any of the protesting and it hasn't been really to pronounced where I reside. The past few days have posed a much greater impact upon my immediate area with the protesting at the airport which is my place of employment. It has caused massive disruption and chaos as most people are probably aware. I have had people whom don't feel safe and not willing to come to work due to their fears of this safety concern. 

I hope for some resolution to the demands which are being placed, though don't see anything end coming soon unfortunately.

We're elated to hear from you, @Chucko8, especially as you work at Hong Kong Airport, and that you're fine. I believe flights have recommenced now, is that correct?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SenorPerfecto said:

I'm curious how they would spot mainlanders? Accent?

Language, mostly - Cantonese (HK) vs. Mandarin or local dialect (Mainland) but also other factors - my Taiwanese wife has an uncanny ability to tell mainland Chinese from Taiwanese, for example - even when they speak the same language. By the same token, I can usually tell if someone is from Northern Germany, versus the South where I grew up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnS said:

We're elated to hear from you, @Chucko8, especially as you work at Hong Kong Airport, and that you're fine. I believe flights have recommenced now, is that correct?

Thank you John. Yes the flights have recommenced and are back to normal status and full operational service restored as of yesterday. There had been a court order passed to prevent further protests occurring at the airport to be legal. Will see how this pans out with the weekend approaching.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

not sure if this is true but the news in the west has been reporting that troops (army?) have been massing on the border

of Hong Kong.  If true that is a bad sign of things to come.  They will hurt a lot of people before this situation is to the Gov.'s benefit.

On 8/13/2019 at 8:41 PM, Nate Chu said:

There hasn’t been any evidence of this at all, likely the local hk protestors would spot out any mainlanders in the midst as well without too much difficulty and call them out on the spot

Looks like China has been trying to disrupt the movement using Social Media, lying about the protesters using violent methods:

https://gizmodo.com/facebook-and-twitter-it-sure-looks-like-chinas-spreadi-1837383015