New box purchase

I see most of you open up the box of sticks to look at them , possibly take a photo and put them in humidor. Is there any advantage or disadvantage to just putting them in humidor sealed just the way they were sent to you for a nap till you are ready to smoke one

The boxes are not sent sealed, so there is no harm in looking at them again before storing.  I no longer will be buy or receive sealed boxes.  Everything needs to be inspected before purchase or before shipping.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

The boxes are not sent sealed, so there is no harm in looking at them again before storing.  I no longer will be buy or receive sealed boxes.  Everything needs to be inspected before purchase or before shipping.

This. 

Also, for me a big part of buying a new box is the visual and olfactory experience of inspecting your new stock.  That way you get to enjoy them a little while they rest.

The olfactory experience is the big one for me. I might be able to get away without taking a peek at the new box. There’s less than zero chance I can pass on taking that first or second sniff of a new box ROTT. I’ve also no issue with acclimation before smoking, just as long as I’ve had my sniff test to hold me over.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, THEMISCHMAN said:

I always open them up and inspect for any possible damage or mold. Anything damaged (cracked feet, etc) usually gets put in the singles drawers. It’s also easier to work with a vendor on damaged cigars sooner rather than later. Any mold gets wiped off and then they get put away to acclimate.

Ditto.

7 hours ago, THEMISCHMAN said:

I always open them up and inspect for any possible damage or mold. Anything damaged (cracked feet, etc) usually gets put in the singles drawers. It’s also easier to work with a vendor on damaged cigars sooner rather than later. Any mold gets wiped off and then they get put away to acclimate.

Same again. I always inspect. Last thing I need is to open up a 20 year old box sometime in the future and see everything covered in green and white.

If I receive it sealed, it stays sealed until I open it for smoking. I trust my vendors that storage has not been an issue and my storage conditions are so that there wouldn't be any beetle outbreaks and any existing light mold would not continue (<70 degrees and 65%).

• Like 2

I’ve allowed FOH packages sit in the box for weeks and even months before.  So far I haven’t had an issue minus a little mold and cracked feet.  But like mentioned above, I remove the “cracked” cigars to to rest with the singles, as they’ll be my first victims, and wipe the mold if there is any from the rest.  I also inspect each cigar from the box, and “re-arrange” them with the better rolled cigars to the bottom of the box.  Last thing I want, is for my last cigar(s) of the box to be a wind tunnel.

They have already been opened so I check them on delivery and then put them in a humidor in a ziplock bag. Thirty days later I remove the box from the bag, inspect again and then put into a humidor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk