Punch Double Coronas

15 minutes ago, mwaller said:

Are recent versions of the Punch DC any good?  I'm honestly not a fan of Punch Punch, but I'm wondering if the DC is something different...

Thoughts?

lot of people rave. personally, the only box i have ever had (as i regularly remind whipcrack, who personally selected it, one of his rare failures) was the most bland and characterless box of cigars i have ever had, daylight second. i tried so hard with them but nothing. could have been smoking faintly torpid air. 

in fairness, they were from around 2000 or 2001 from memory, but they put me off ever buying another. 

• Like 1

I’ve had a few from 2016 and loved them. I’m waiting on some cabs coming out of Havana and hoping they do so soon.  

I think it is the only DC I would buy in quantity.  

PSD4 was the first CC i ever smoked 15 years ago...but Punch DC was the first cigar I really fell in love with...and to this day it remains my favorite...Ive smoked a ton of them over the years and have had better experience with dress boxes than cabs (against the grain I suppose). Im nearly through a great box of 14s and have another in waiting...a cab of 15s has yet to blow me away but ill keep trying. Short answer: buy some!

• Like 1

UGO was the code of those stellar Hoyo DC cabs.
I have always been interested in the punch DC as I really enjoy the PP. but I have never had one. I do have a 2015 single in the humidor I have yet to smoke. Maybe tonight!

The other question is cab or dress box. Have always liked the 50 cabs but the punch is now hard to find.
Now that the one member said he has had better luck with the dress boxes, I am on the hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Nekhyludov
7 hours ago, mbflash80 said:

PSD4 was the first CC i ever smoked 15 years ago...but Punch DC was the first cigar I really fell in love with...and to this day it remains my favorite...Ive smoked a ton of them over the years and have had better experience with dress boxes than cabs (against the grain I suppose). Im nearly through a great box of 14s and have another in waiting...a cab of 15s has yet to blow me away but ill keep trying. Short answer: buy some!

Replace PSD4 with Parti Short and 15 years ago with 20 years ago, and I could have written this exact post verbatim. :cigar:

Have never been a huge fan and I've sampled them since the mid 1990s. A bit mild in general from my experience. But when they shine they have a nice floral character that makes them pleasant for me.  I generally relegate them to the links where they can be quite satisfying, especially the D.C. My current DC cabs are 2014, 2015 and 2016 and are pretty consistent, if not inspiring. 

I have a 50 cab from Rob dated around 2012.   Think i’ve only pulled one out so far.   They’re a huge time commitment.   Longer than some marriages...   I need to revisit once the afternoon temps fall below the 100° mark because I don’t recall it being remarkable.  Hearing all the praise I certainly want it to be a remarkable smoke, but my memory just doesn’t come up with that assesment.   It was a while ago.  

Who knows...  maybe I was drunk.    ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/18/2019 at 1:31 AM, mwaller said:

Which more common stick is closest in flavor profile to the Punch DC?  What are the dominant flavors?

The closest in flavor profile would be the Punch 48, although it's more on the dry and lean side. Punch Punch is from a totally different, leathery family and is of no reference here. Flavor profile is autumn leaves, dried fruit (apricot and figue), cedar wood. Sexy stuff. To many aficionados, Punch DC is one the greatest cigars ever made that's notorious for its aging potential. But you'd have to look for medium to dark wrappers, avoiding lighter ones, especially in a full box buy. The box pictured above is perfect, and I'd personally shoot the sheriff for it. They are produced only a couple of times a year and have been hard to find lately. Usually rolled in only one, maybe two factories and have the same box code as Hoyo DCs. BOU in 2011, LOM in 2012, UGE, UGO, etc. This means you don't really have a box code choice, just get any good box that you find. 50 cabs were discontinued a couple of years ago, much to our sorrows.

On 8/17/2019 at 11:29 PM, mwaller said:

Thanks for the comments.  I'm specifically looking at late 2018 UGO sticks... Any experience?

You might be able to find some. I scored a UGO SEP 18 50 cab recently.

It really is right up there as one of the great Cuban cigars but also one that is normally a waste to smoke young. 

Ken, 2000 and 2001 was hit and miss for many cigars, particularly large format cigars. 

Cuban had just rolled out 160 million cigars in 1999 (they are making between 60 and 70 million today).  Quality appalling. Out of any properly aged tobacco come 2000.  It took them until 2005/6  to get back to using three year old ligero. 

• Like 1