VAR your opinions

OZCUBAN

Hi all 

after staying up late to watch the Manchester city v Tottenham hot spur game last night .

after 30 shots on goal to 2 ,had my heart ripped out at the end of the match .was a great game ...but var ,the new hand ball rule seems as unmanageable as ever 

what’s your take .....

1 hour ago, OZCUBAN said:

Hi all 

after staying up late to watch the Manchester city v Tottenham hot spur game last night .

after 30 shots on goal to 2 ,had my heart ripped out at the end of the match .was a great game ...but var ,the new hand ball rule seems as unmanageable as ever 

what’s your take .....

not seen that specific incident and something which gives sp*rs anything is to be abhorred of course but most sports have gone down this track. rugby and league have 'video refs'. the NFL has everything checked and coaches can challenge. tennis - players can challenge. cricket ditto. 

it will mean more correct decisions, which is to be applauded. in time, it will be 2nd nature. 

leave aside biased refs and umps (i'm looking you, *&&^%&%&0#, everytime the reds play nsw, you sodding cheat), they make sure that many of the errors get picked up. look at the two Ashes tests so far. so many abysmal umpiring decisions. 

I think it’s a crock like @Ken Gargett said if it wasn’t for biased refs and umps none of this in any sport would exist need to get back to the days of playing the sport and the games the way they should be played with honor and skill

Just now, Astar20 said:

I think it’s a crock like @Ken Gargett said if it wasn’t for biased refs and umps none of this in any sport would exist need to get back to the days of playing the sport and the games the way they should be played with honor and skill

my apols if i misled. i was putting them to one side. sure, they exist, sometimes perhaps even unconsciously, but i think you get refs/umps being human and making errors. i think that if technology assists that, i'm for it. honour and skill would be great - different things of course. 

but cricketers are rarely going to walk, footballers won't give themselves up for a handball, so many examples. 

i think these forms of technology will come in more and more.

these days, imagine if the 100m sprint or swim was decided by blokes with stopwatches. we've moved on from that because technology assists. each sport has its own version. VAR is just part of that. 

• Like 1

I see now where you’re going with this @Ken Gargett  I’m in for the assistance but it’s going to be awhile before it’s perfected system I think making new rules as you go long is a system waiting to fail. No matter the sport there will always be the instance (Saints vs rams championship game) where you can’t make everyone happy. But they flat out missed the call which would have been a great instance VAR would come in handy I think now it’s going to be used as a clutch to get ahead instead of using skill. I just think the VAR system needs to have a lot more work done to improve its assistance to any game.

Just now, Astar20 said:

I see now where you’re going with this @Ken Gargett  I’m in for the assistance but it’s going to be awhile before it’s perfected system I think making new rules as you go long is a system waiting to fail. No matter the sport there will always be the instance (Saints vs rams championship game) where you can’t make everyone happy. But they flat out missed the call which would have been a great instance VAR would come in handy I think now it’s going to be used as a clutch to get ahead instead of using skill. I just think the VAR system needs to have a lot more work done to improve its assistance to any game.

on that we agree. these things always take time. there will always be something that pops up unexpectedly - the beauty of sport. and even with the advantage of a video, there will be arguments. these things are far from perfect. they should get better and better but it does take time.

for me, that is not a reason not touse them. just means some growing pains, but in the end, hopefully fairer results. but there'll always be many many decisions in sport that are left to human adjudicators. we have to live with that. 

• Like 1

It’s not VAR’s fault the current handball rule is illogical and nonsensical. VAR itself is working the way it’s supposed to, more or less. Anything that reduces the ability of refs to favor the power clubs (which they do to a disgusting degree) is a positive in my book.

• Like 1

I agree the hand ball rule really needs to be looked at in a fair and unambiguous way in my doom anything below the elbow no contest 

still it won’t affect our season 3 in a row for us and maybe the c/l this year will shut all the haters up 

we’ve been so long I. The wilderness I feel like a Jew ?

As an american who played soccer as a kid to no special acclaim, and an avid premier league viewer, I think VAR does a decent job of identifying intent on the player's part with respect to handballs. Also does great job reviewing balls crossing goal line.