Marca+Vitola recs with Honey Sweet/Cream Profile

So I couldn’t wait the 30days and fired up a HDM Rio Seco after just over 2 weeks off the truck.  First puff I was hit with a huge burst of sweetness (like honey) and cream. So smooth.  Excited for how these age.  I haven’t tried many HDMs, let alone aged ones.  Does anyone have a rec on an aged HDM that has that honey/cream profile?  Thx. 

1 hour ago, CptGoodTimes said:

Excited for how these age.  

So am I. 

These have all the traits of being a classic Hoyo. If it was a was a 38-42 gauge , I would go deep deep deep. The flavour is exactly what you are looking for in a young hoyo in order to age. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, El Presidente said:

So am I. 

These have all the traits of being a classic Hoyo. If it was a was a 38-42 gauge , I would go deep deep deep. The flavour is exactly what you are looking for in a young hoyo in order to age. 

Yep.  I've gone deep for this reason, plus I enjoy the larger ring gauge so it's a win-win for me.  ?

While not quite as sweet as Rio Seco, there’s a similar intense richness in flavor in the Escogido that bodes well for aging. 

The only truly aged cigar purchase I’ve ever made happened to be a box of HdM Particulares (2002). One of the 5 was completely plugged, but the rest were absolutely divine. Cream and fine cocoa powder in the most elegant way. I’d guess DC’s at a similar age would be just as sublime. 

12 hours ago, Islandboy said:

While not quite as sweet as Rio Seco, there’s a similar intense richness in flavor in the Escogido that bodes well for aging. 

The only truly aged cigar purchase I’ve ever made happened to be a box of HdM Particulares (2002). One of the 5 was completely plugged, but the rest were absolutely divine. Cream and fine cocoa powder in the most elegant way. I’d guess DC’s at a similar age would be just as sublime. 

Do you prefer RS, SJ, or the Escogido?

11 hours ago, bbguardsp said:

Do you prefer RS, SJ, or the Escogido?

I have to admit, I’ve only had a single San Juan a few years back and was not impressed. Given the fine following they have, I assume my sample was out of the ordinary. 

Of the Rio Seco and Escogido, I prefer the darker flavored and more complex Escogido young, over the intensely sweet Rio Seco young. But the Rio Seco May have the edge with age...only time will tell. 

18 hours ago, Islandboy said:

I have to admit, I’ve only had a single San Juan a few years back and was not impressed. Given the fine following they have, I assume my sample was out of the ordinary. 

Of the Rio Seco and Escogido, I prefer the darker flavored and more complex Escogido young, over the intensely sweet Rio Seco young. But the Rio Seco May have the edge with age...only time will tell. 

I've also been disappointed w San Juan.  The two I had were complete wind tunnels with muted flavor. 

My biggest beef w the bigger ring gauges is they're often underfilled and unsmokable.  

On the hunt for Escodigos.

Good luck with that... after an initial release in Germany, I haven’t seen them anywhere in many months.

On 8/19/2019 at 6:46 PM, yadegari6 said:

Le Hoyo des Dieux if you can find any, I have a box from 2000 that are insane 

Looks like I’ve got a deal in place to try a des Dieux(2003) in the next month, following the travel time and then rest time.  

23 hours ago, Tstew75 said:

DCs are dope with 5+ years age...

Will definitely add to the list. Thx ??

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, crking3 said:

How does this potential compare to that of the San Juan?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

San Juan explores more of the cream elements. It will go down the route of aged HDM DC. 

Rio Seco is a different animal, almost as if HDM Epi Especial ere crossed with RASS in some aspects.  

Same ageing potential but will arrive at different destinations. 

• Like 3

23 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

Good luck with that... after an initial release in Germany, I haven’t seen them anywhere in many months.

Seems like they took a page from the Fuente book: release something rare, curtail supply, ensure total disappearance in short order.

Seems like they took a page from the Fuente book: release something rare, curtail supply, ensure total disappearance in short order.

Such a shame, too - they are outstanding!

1 minute ago, Lotusguy said:

Such a shame, too - they are outstanding!

So are Fuente Angel's Share and Don Arturo.  I see a future akin to the film "Idiocracy": every Habanos offering is an EL, RE or LCDH exclusive.

I probably shouldn’t have been so quick to limit this to just Hoyos.  I’m sure there are other marcas that have a great burst of honey sweet & cream.  Please feel free to mention others.  I just got into CCs in ‘17. Then took off ‘18 & just now getting back into it.  So still very much a newbie.  

On 8/19/2019 at 5:57 PM, El Presidente said:

So am I. 

I wont be buying any of these due to the RG. Fortunately there's just plenty of non-jaw breaker cigars that havnt been axed yet that are fantastic. 

59 minutes ago, CptGoodTimes said:

I probably shouldn’t have been so quick to limit this to just Hoyos.  I’m sure there are other marcas that have a great burst of honey sweet & cream.  Please feel free to mention others.  I just got into CCs in ‘17. Then took off ‘18 & just now getting back into it.  So still very much a newbie.  

A Partagas D4 with a few years on can be quite creamy, a sour spiced cream. Another reliable creamy cigar for me is the Montecristo No. 1, this being more cocoa and cream.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, crking3 said:

I used to be in the same boat until I tried E2, San Juan, medio siglo .....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know they’re fantastic blends, I just don’t  enjoy the ergonomics of the 55+ RG enough to buy boxes of them. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kaptain Karl said:

I know they’re fantastic blends, I just don’t  enjoy the ergonomics of the 55+ RG enough to buy boxes of them. 

The Escogidos are a more manageable 49RG :)

Last year I smoked a EL2013 Grand epicure and it was one of the most delicious and outstanding smokes I've ever had

Had one last night, best cigar I smoked in 19

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
  • Thanks 1