world cup - wallabies

Ken Gargett

If anyone ever doubted that the clown was gone after this world cup, take a look at the team he has picked. He is not hanging around (a silver lining).

This might be the oldest squad ever picked by any nation at any world cup. Petunia. Our one nod to youth in a squad of 31. Otherwise, I think, only two backs under 29 (lord spare us, I remember when there was no one who was 29 still playing – they’d all retired). Kerevi, who leaves us as soon as this is over, and Hodge. Big whoop. So we are absolutely deliberately avoiding any possibility of preparing for the future. What a disgrace the clown is.

Will we be the only side at the world cup with just two halves. The youngest of whom is 29. I suppose we can be grateful that phibbs is finally gone. Genia is gone at the end of the world cup. White can’t be far behind. He is pushing 30. So who gives a rat’s for the future? And only two halfbacks? Which will be needed to play in every game. At that age, the possibility of injury? So, any form of injury completely stuffs us. If it is a short term injury, we have to play with just one half back? Is the clown serious? If, however, it is slightly more serious, that player must be cut and replaced by a player who cannot play for 48 hours. Imagine we do, by a miracle which would leave walking on water, let alone loaves and fishes, in the dust, somehow make the final (or even a semi). One half has a slight injury, the other gets hurt at training two days before the final. We cannot replace him. We’d go into the final with one banged up halfback. Brilliant. We have a young half in tate mcdermott who is really starting to show that he could be the future (a few others as well – Joe Powell at the Brumbies). Will any of them go for experience, as a back-up, to be there in case of an emergency? No, that would make too much sense for this blind muppet.

And yet we go with three ageing plodding bog average flyhalves. Of course, we had to include foley because he is the clown’s buddy. But three? Especially when we have o’connor who has played there and can easily fill in, in an emergency. Did this moron just throw darts at a hatful of names?

Adam Ashley cooper. The clown has to be taking the piss. What on earth is the point of that? Could he not find someone slower? Still, I suppose beale needs someone to misbehave with.

Why not take Jack Maddocks – 22? Tom Banks has been in and out. 25. No, let’s take the bloke on a pension.

Forwards – not much better. Liam Wright is good enough to make the team last weekend but suddenly not good enough to make the extended squad. If you are not a mate of the clown, what do you expect. But we do have backrowers like pocock who has not been able to make the field for a year, and Dempsey who has an injured shoulder. Taking injured players to a world cup – always a blueprint for success. This delusional dimwit has condemned us to an embarrassing early exit.

Needless to say, all the blathering the clown went on about skelton joining the team has proven to be exactly what it always was. An attempt to divert the attention away from the monumental debacle in Orcland, over which he reigned.

As someone recently said, and which applies to both the clown and mophead, they are so stupid that they could not pour water out of a boot if the instructions were on the sole.

Maybe I will dig out the old DVDs of Lost and watch them instead of the Cup, because that mob had far more of a clue than our lot.

Cheika will do the near-impossible and leave Australian rugby in a worse state than he found it. no doubt mophead will tell us all what a great contribution it was.

• 2 weeks later...

Just seen the Wallaby team for Samoa for the weekend. I would hate to be seen as a perennial wallaby basher but am I losing the plot here?

This is our last test before the World Cup. Last chance to build combinations, get some experience. Surely, aside from anyone carrying an injury (and lord hopes that there are not many of them or why the hell are they in the squad in the first place?), we pick a team that should be close to our best. A team to give the guys a chance to play together. Get to know their games.

By my, admittedly dismal maths, in the squad for the game on Saturday are five players who did not make the World Cup squad of 31. How does that make a shred of sense? These imbeciles make some of the world's politicians look the definition of sanity.

So, these five are not good enough to be in the top 31 but they are good enough to make the top 23 for this test, a test that should surely be devoted to furthering the team for the world cup.

I honestly have no idea why they are there. Are we protecting players? Is this a reward for being almost good enough? Did the clown lose a bet? Is there an attempt to lull every other team into a false sense of security (or a real sense of security)?

There has been a bucketload of jaw-dropping stupidity surrounding this team for a very long time but this leaves it all for dead. Or am I missing something? Why? I cannot think of any even vaguely sensible reason to do this. Some of the 31 have not played for a fair while. But why not keep them in cotton wool.

There have been times when I have been prepared to give the clown and mophead the benefit of the doubt (okay, not many) but this is beyond explanation??

Can anyone explain this?

To be honest, if Australian rugby was an even vaguely competent entity, they should take one look at this fiasco and thank the coach and wish him well and put up photos of him at every rugby ground in the country with strict instructions he is not allowed anywhere near anything.

Spare me.