AFL Finals thread

Bill Hayes

For those in the southern states of Aus and in the west, the Australian Rules Football (AFL) finals start tonight! But I would like to think our Queensland brothers will be tuning this weekend. The mighty Brisbane Lions have shot up the ladder this year to be challenging for the Premiership. This week Geelong play Collingwood in a blockbuster at the MCG in Melbourne in front of close to 100,000. Should be a ripper. I'm picking the Geelong Cats to get up even though the Collingwood Magpies have a host of stars returning from injury. But will they be match fit? We'll find out. Tonight, the West Coast eagles are at home in Perth, against Essendon Bombers. I think the Eagles will be too strong on their own ground. The Greater Western Sydney Giants take on a resurgent Western Bulldogs in Sydney. The Giants have some stars back and the Dogs are on a roll, just making it to the finals in the last round of the year. I think the Giants forwards will be too tall and too good for the Dogs backs but the Dogs midfield is on fire. Will be a close one and these two teams have recent finals history, playing a thriller in 2016. I think the Giants might just get up but with no confidence. Lastly, on Saturday night my mighty Richmond Tigers travel to the GABBA to take on the Brisbane Lions. Strangely, Richmond hosted Brisbane in the last round of the year two weeks back at the MCG with the Tigers winning. Now, they play each other in Brisbane where home ground advantage may come into play. It's sure to be a cracker and I'm hoping my Tigers get up of course. Let us know your thoughts and who will be tuning in or going along. And is there much hype up there in Brisbane?

• Like 2

As a Lions fan I'm hoping someone knocks us out in the next few matches so we don't have to lose to Richmond in the grand final. Tonight was pretty dismal, but hey, none of us expected to be playing in September so mood is still positive for the season!

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 12:49 AM, ayedfy said:

As a Lions fan I'm hoping someone knocks us out in the next few matches so we don't have to lose to Richmond in the grand final. Tonight was pretty dismal, but hey, none of us expected to be playing in September so mood is still positive for the season!

Mate, the Lions played very well in the first quarter. It was just a lack of composure with a lot of Lions players in their first final game. Brisbane actually had more scoring shots than Richmond. I reckon the Lions are a good chance to win against the Giants at the GABBA. My Tigers will most probably play West Coast in the Preliminary which scares me a lot. I think on their day, they are the best in the comp, especially with Nic Natanui back. Will be a nervous couple of weeks.

the lions would have more of a chance if they worked out that you got more points if you kicked it between the two big sticks. seriously, you can't kick like that in a final. especially against a good team. 

i'd be more than happy for them to make the grand final, even if they did face the tigers (and most likely a whomping). the experience of playing in a final is something you can't buy or coach. and hey, two horse race. tigers or whoever have an off day? and...

remember that when that greatest team of all started its run (and before anyone wants to argue that, remember that they gave the world the never-ending gift of beating collingwood two years running in the final), they were up against a top essendon side which were massive favourites and they ran them down and flogged them.

just on beating collingwood those years, a good mate of mine who did some wine writing (his day job was head of victorian homicide) was a good mate of eddie's. there was a debate about whether it was better to lose a grand final by a lot or by a whisker. it was a general debate not specifically aimed at the pies, but my mate said we'll find out. next morning on the way back to the airport, he rings eddie. gets him at the breakfast table. turns out it was not a question eddie was very interested in answering but to his credit, in the end, he did say it was worse to lose by a lot, though he still had nightmares about the year they got so close. 

and i agree with bill. the lions, if they are half serious and deserve where they finished, they should beat GWS at home. 

just as long as someone beats collingwood, i'm happy - i'm here in the barossa with a mate who is a mad pies fan so please, please, anyone. beat the pies. 

• Like 2

I do feel for Geeelong...Finished on top and no home final. I thought that was terrible. Now Collingwood walk into a prelim against GWS or Brisbane. At home .

Although WestCoast play the Cats at the G again on Friday night. I think the odds are with us. Up at Geeelong no way. I think the same could be said for last Friday  against Collingwood.

As for Richmond ...for the love of Christ .Dusty is only warming up.

I dispise Collingwood with a passion  

• Like 1

And then there was 4. Unfortunately for Brisbane they continued with their lack of accuracy and composure going forward and lost by only a few points. The Eagles seemed affected by the loss of  Willie Rioli the day before the game because of a urine test where he tried to fill up the jar with sports drink. It's almost inconceivable that he would try something like that. Totally ridiculous and will cost him his career and the Eagles a shot at a second premiership in a row; although the cats bounced back well. Joel Selwood and Dangerfield were superb. Now it's do or die - Tigers v Cats and Magpies v Giants for a spot in the Grand Final. Very hard to pick a winner. I got tickets to see my Tigers so hopefully they get over the line. If Collingwood make it to the GF as well, it might just be a modern record crowd, although I think 1970 (Collingwood v Carlton) GF is the record with 121,000. Anyone else going along or watching, let us know your thoughts.

Some really hard fort football played over the weekend. Great viewing. I think a Collingwood Richmond GF is probable and would be great. I will be cheering for Richmond this weekend and I hope GWS can get up . 

• Like 1

Just now, westg said:

Some really hard fort football played over the weekend. Great viewing. I think a Collingwood Richmond GF is probable and would be great. I will be cheering for Richmond this weekend and I hope GWS can get up . 

the lions overachieved, even with the disappointing result on the weekend. looking forward to next year. 

as a lifelong person of sense and taste, i have always detested the pies. but i also, and this was well before the weekend, really dislike gws. i hope that they belt the living crap out of each other and whoever gets up cops a flogging in the final. pies winning a GF is definitive proof that there is no god. 

• Like 2

On 9/16/2019 at 4:58 PM, Ken Gargett said:

the lions overachieved, even with the disappointing result on the weekend. looking forward to next year. 

as a lifelong person of sense and taste, i have always detested the pies. but i also, and this was well before the weekend, really dislike gws. i hope that they belt the living crap out of each other and whoever gets up cops a flogging in the final. pies winning a GF is definitive proof that there is no god. 

Well said. I agree .?

44 minutes ago, westg said:

Richmond were bloody brilliant last night. I hope they win it next weekend...a big week for you Bill . :party:

And what about the part where the rest of Australia hopes Collingwood makes the Grand Final only to lose again? Who said 'schadenfreude' is bad for the soul? ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

And what about the part where the rest of Australia hopes Collingwood makes the Grand Final only to lose again? Who said 'schadenfreude' is bad for the soul? ?

i don't want the pies anywhere near the GF unless they bought tickets to seats in the stands. but then i do not want GWS near it either. let's hope the tigers have a huge game and that today is full of suspensions and (not that you want anyone hurt) short term injuries. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, westg said:

Richmond were bloody brilliant last night. I hope they win it next weekend...a big week for you Bill . :party:

Thanks mate, it wasn't looking good at half time but I was hoping last week's game took it out of the Cats and my Tigers would run over the top of them. And that's the way it panned out. Very croaky voice this morning from barracking with the Tiger faithful at the mighty MCG. Now we wait to see who we play. Personally, I'm sweating on getting tickets. I'm in the ballot and will find out Monday. I reckon one of the best efforts to come out of the game was Jack Graham, who dislocated his shoulder then got it strapped up and played on so we wouldn't be down on rotations off the bench, meaning we could run over the top of the Cats. He may not be able to play next week but his efforts will be remembered for a long time. Go Tigers!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

well, that was unlucky for collingwood. so close. such a great comeback. and yet, all over. on yer bike. 

i reckon the tigers could win next week by 60 or 70 at least. 

Ken, I reckon the Giants are a real chance to win. They are getting two stars back. At their best, I think they play the best football. But they will only play as good as they are allowed to. So I hope the Richmond system stands up again under finals pressure. Very nervous. I was lucky enough to get tickets, albeit not very good ones. But I will be there to the end no matter what!

• Like 1

Just now, Bill Hayes said:

Ken, I reckon the Giants are a real chance to win. They are getting two stars back. At their best, I think they play the best football. But they will only play as good as they are allowed to. So I hope the Richmond system stands up again under finals pressure. Very nervous. I was lucky enough to get tickets, albeit not very good ones. But I will be there to the end no matter what!

bill, i reckon they have played their grand final, hanging on yesterday. they were very lucky to get that close and very lucky to be there at all. it ain't happening a third time. plus, they have not been there before. richmond has. and has some genuine finals performers. beating us and the pies is well short of beating the tigers in a grand final. 

in my tipping comp, i am going tigers by 66. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ken Gargett said:

bill, i reckon they have played their grand final, hanging on yesterday. they were very lucky to get that close and very lucky to be there at all. it ain't happening a third time. plus, they have not been there before. richmond has. and has some genuine finals performers. beating us and the pies is well short of beating the tigers in a grand final. 

in my tipping comp, i am going tigers by 66. 

Tigers average winning margin for the last winning streak is around 27 to 30 points. I think with the couple of injuries to the Tigers and GWS defensive contested stoppage style, I'm tipping Richmond by 24 points but I hope you're right Ken and we blow them away.

Well, the Grand Final was a bit of a blowout. Great if you're a Tigers fan like me (just getting over the hangover now) but probably not much of a spectacle for neutral supporters. It was great being in a huge crowd of Tigers fans all going crazy, although not the best of views from standing room. Now we  move to the crazy trade period, then horse racing, cricket then horse racing again then back to Footy! Go you mighty Tigers!

IMG_4734.jpg

59134507455__681125A0-F767-4CC3-B869-3188C78FB6D0.JPG

3 hours ago, Bill Hayes said:

Well, the Grand Final was a bit of a blowout. Great if you're a Tigers fan like me (just getting over the hangover now) but probably not much of a spectacle for neutral supporters. It was great being in a huge crowd of Tigers fans all going crazy, although not the best of views from standing room. Now we  move to the crazy trade period, then horse racing, cricket then horse racing again then back to Footy! Go you mighty Tigers!

IMG_4734.jpg

59134507455__681125A0-F767-4CC3-B869-3188C78FB6D0.JPG

the blow out that was expected and congrats tigers. mind you, i gave up watching by half time. 

• Like 2