Last Look? Toronto LCDH

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cigars and tobacco are a tough business in Canada.  And with the idiotic plain packaging rules that are coming into effect; the death march begins.  The Toronto LCDH will shutter its' doors forever De

I know that this might not seem like much consolation, but there is the black market. Support our local black-marketeer, pirate!!! All hail the King!.   On a more somber note... I will

You are suggesting he smoke on his private property ? Is that Legal in Canada ?   

Bummer. 

Its been too long since I visited family in Toronto and was looking forward to going to a place like this on my next visit now that I’m getting my CC sea legs. 

I think my very first Cuban cigar, smoked at a cottage on lake simco when I was maybe 18, was a “house branded Cuban” from Yitz’s deli that my uncle picked up while getting some cold cuts. That was a LOOOONG time ago, but I remember he kept them in the freezer, perhaps to dry them out a bit  

off topic, but thanks for bringing back a memory of smoking a Cuban with someone who passed away 20 plus years ago

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Rhinoww said:

Bummer. 

Its been too long since I visited family in Toronto and was looking forward to going to a place like this on my next visit now that I’m getting my CC sea legs. 

I think my very first Cuban cigar, smoked at a cottage on lake simco when I was maybe 18, was a “house branded Cuban” from Yitz’s deli that my uncle picked up while getting some cold cuts. That was a LOOOONG time ago, but I remember he kept them in the freezer, perhaps to dry them out a bit  

off topic, but thanks for bringing back a memory of smoking a Cuban with someone who passed away 20 plus years ago

Great story. Yitz's still stands and I believe they still have a humidor, albeit much smaller.  

Was there on Monday afternoon smoked a 2008 SCdLH Mercaderes which was absolutely fantastic! Smoked out front for a couple of hours with the workers and regulars. Had a discussion with the manager on plain packaging but did not realize they were closing. I see they had a big placard with the plain packaging notice which probably had the closure details but I didn’t read it.

The fellas out front told me it’s so bad with the government that they would not put a wooden bench in front of the LCDH store where they could sit and smoke despite the city putting several benches up along that street one notably outside the ice cream shop a few storefronts down the road. Apparently LCDH had to pay the city $2,800 for a simple wooden bench. Unreal.

Some great BOTLs there!

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

How long before Montreal LCDH closes?

Unknown.  It has more going for it due to the grandfathered lounge laws.  It could stick around longer than the Toronto location.  Here's another little FU the gov't added in.  The Toronto location finally got their liquor license I believe late last year, but tossed in with the plain packaging are the following new restrictions on tobacconists.

• You can't sell alcohol.
  • You cannot serve coffee or other non-alcoholic beverages.
  • You cannot sell coffee beans or grounds.

So, basically any consumable product related to cigar / smoking culture cannot be offered as it would potentially expose people to tobacco products.  Sheesh.... But because this shop is closing down, the powers that be aren't going to enforce these points.  

1 hour ago, bundwallah said:

Unknown.  It has more going for it due to the grandfathered lounge laws.  It could stick around longer than the Toronto location.  Here's another little FU the gov't added in.  The Toronto location finally got their liquor license I believe late last year, but tossed in with the plain packaging are the following new restrictions on tobacconists.

• You can't sell alcohol.
  • You cannot serve coffee or other non-alcoholic beverages.
  • You cannot sell coffee beans or grounds.

So, basically any consumable product related to cigar / smoking culture cannot be offered as it would potentially expose people to tobacco products.  Sheesh.... But because this shop is closing down, the powers that be aren't going to enforce these points.  

Between what you state, the high rent district the LCDH Montreal is in, and general lack of business at the location.  I can't see how they are going to stay in business unless they own the building.  Davidoff use to be a few doors down and they closed a while back.

7 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Between what you state, the high rent district the LCDH Montreal is in, and general lack of business at the location.  I can't see how they are going to stay in business unless they own the building.  Davidoff use to be a few doors down and they closed a while back.

I agree. Plus there are other alternatives in Montreal for those who wish to smoke indoors.  And you can BYOC at the other lounges.  

I feel your pain fratello.  Montreal is getting so pathetic for cigar smoking, very few places left. Whiskey cafe, Stogies, LCDH and Rib n’Reef. Basically four places for a city of 4 million. Hopefully things figure themselves out but I don’t expect miracles. Mingia ?che vergogna ?

• Haha 2

So sorry to hear

The whole cigar wars continues to roll on like military stage play. 

We have lost another foothold and are falling back to regroup. We all know that in the end it will be a guerilla campaign. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Buck14 said:

Was there on Monday afternoon smoked a 2008 SCdLH Mercaderes which was absolutely fantastic! Smoked out front for a couple of hours with the workers and regulars. Had a discussion with the manager on plain packaging but did not realize they were closing. I see they had a big placard with the plain packaging notice which probably had the closure details but I didn’t read it.

The fellas out front told me it’s so bad with the government that they would not put a wooden bench in front of the LCDH store where they could sit and smoke despite the city putting several benches up along that street one notably outside the ice cream shop a few storefronts down the road. Apparently LCDH had to pay the city $2,800 for a simple wooden bench. Unreal.

Some great BOTLs there!

Great BOTLs there.  Such a shame.

For what is worth, I recently spoke with the manager of the LCDH in Montreal and he said he was not aware of any plans to close that one. I hope he is right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1