Last Look? Toronto LCDH

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cigars and tobacco are a tough business in Canada.  And with the idiotic plain packaging rules that are coming into effect; the death march begins.  The Toronto LCDH will shutter its' doors forever De

I know that this might not seem like much consolation, but there is the black market. Support our local black-marketeer, pirate!!! All hail the King!.   On a more somber note... I will

You are suggesting he smoke on his private property ? Is that Legal in Canada ?   

@Hammer Smokin' Sounds like you had a great day!  And that's what this "forced" closure is going to ruin.  Potentially great days for people who just want to enjoy a cigar in the company of other cigar lovers.  Francisco and Julian are great guys.  I'm surprised Julian was there though. He quit a few weeks ago and opened up a coffee shop.  He called it "Chaveta"  :2thumbs: For you locals, I highly recommend dropping by.  He's on Bathurst a few blocks south of Dupont.  I'm surprised they know my FOH handle. :D  It will be a real shame when the doors close.  The staff are great, the location is too.  The regulars defiantly smoke on the sidewalk and they all come from different walks of life.  I'm sure most will find another spot to hang out.  Their fallback is usually the Rock Park just one street south of the LCDH.   

10 hours ago, bundwallah said:

@Hammer Smokin' Sounds like you had a great day!  And that's what this "forced" closure is going to ruin.  Potentially great days for people who just want to enjoy a cigar in the company of other cigar lovers.  Francisco and Julian are great guys.  I'm surprised Julian was there though. He quit a few weeks ago and opened up a coffee shop.  He called it "Chaveta"  :2thumbs: For you locals, I highly recommend dropping by.  He's on Bathurst a few blocks south of Dupont.  I'm surprised they know my FOH handle. :D  It will be a real shame when the doors close.  The staff are great, the location is too.  The regulars defiantly smoke on the sidewalk and they all come from different walks of life.  I'm sure most will find another spot to hang out.  Their fallback is usually the Rock Park just one street south of the LCDH.   

Maybe it wasn't Julian, but I believe that is what I recall. Tall thin gentleman, who discussed his training in Cuba to be a ... well, I forget the title, but a sommelier of cigars basically. :)

We did have a great time.

A shame what is going in this country.

• 3 months later...

Well.  As of Dec 31, 2019. The Toronto LCDH has closed it's doors forever.  About 6 people were put of of work as a result.   The anti-tobacco climate in Canada is just getting worse.  Despite the high taxes, this store did pretty good business. It had its' daily regulars who'd come by for a break to smoke a JLP and those who would come in to buy full boxes.  I've heard the Windsor LCDH might follow suit too.  The Montreal LCDH has legal, indoor smoking in it's lounge. Hopefully, it will continue to operate.  

• Sad 4

1 hour ago, bundwallah said:

Well.  As of Dec 31, 2019. The Toronto LCDH has closed it's doors forever.  About 6 people were put of of work as a result.   The anti-tobacco climate in Canada is just getting worse.  Despite the high taxes, this store did pretty good business. It had its' daily regulars who'd come by for a break to smoke a JLP and those who would come in to buy full boxes.  I've heard the Windsor LCDH might follow suit too.  The Montreal LCDH has legal, indoor smoking in it's lounge. Hopefully, it will continue to operate.  

Was very glad I made a couple visits over the past year before it closed!

*GASP* NOOOOOOOOO :coverears::coverears::coverears:  Aw, Man what a RIPPP. And what a loss. The ONLY thing keeping me out of there was MONEY - and that was getting rectified shortly after 4 more paychecks! :no:   WAAAAAHHHHHH!!!! :( 

So sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, bundwallah said:

I agree, this is sad news. In regards to the Montreal LCDH, is this because of its location in Quebec and French-Canadian history/culture @bundwallah? I'm curious why it's still around and even has indoor lounge smoking whilst the Toronto LCDH is now closed?

Surprised and felt furious to hear LCDH closed permanently due to anti smoking ban laws. Kudos to all Canadian BOTLs.

By the way, is this happens in other countries too? If yes, I would be enraged for sure.

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

• Thanks 1

Sad days indeed. 

Great store. From all accounts great people, cigar people. 

Kicked to the sidewalk largely due to impending plain packaging.  Democracy....where the majority persecute the minority. 

• Sad 1

I better clarify something. The Toronto LCDH was not closed due to gov't decree.  The bosses decided it wasn't worth keeping it open given the impending plain packaging laws.  Plus, their location was going to be demolished for a new building. If they stuck around they'd have to move for a 4th in 2 years. That's not cheap. I actually paid the guys a visit tonight. They're closed but packing things up. Accessories, cigars, etc.  The plain packaging we're getting in Canada involves the green bands being applied in Cuba. Not in Canada. And they will be glued on to the existing bands.  And I think this includes the boxes as well.  IIRC, the UK and Australia's green bands are applied over top of the bands by the distributor/retailer?  But not here. Somehow, Canada managed to get the Cubans to apply them directly before being shipped up here.

As for Montreal. The whole Province of Quebec has grandfathered laws for tobacconists and lounges. Their customers get to smoke indoors. Cigars only. Anything else would be a violation of their license.  From what I understand, the Quebec politicians were fond of cigars and didn't want to eradicate it completely, so they fought for the provision.  Maybe someone from Montreal/Quebec can describe it better?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/11/2019 at 11:13 AM, bundwallah said:

For cigarettes, November 2019. I think cigars have until Feb 2020 IIRC.

From my understanding, I think cigar manufacturers have until November 2020 to comply and cigar retailers/tobacconists have until February 2021 to comply. But maybe things have now changed, which would be even worse.

45 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

IIRC, the UK and Australia's green bands are applied over top of the bands by the distributor/retailer?  But not here. Somehow, Canada managed to get the Cubans to apply them directly before being shipped up here.

Yes, that's correct. Cigars for Australian retailers get olive green plain bands administered in Hong Kong prior to delivery.

1 minute ago, JohnS said:

Yes, that's correct. Cigars for Australian retailers get olive green plain bands administered in Hong Kong prior to delivery.

Are they wrapped around the original bands and adhere to themselves? Or are they glued on to the original bands?

52 minutes ago, bundwallah said:

The plain packaging we're getting in Canada involves the green bands being applied in Cuba. Not in Canada. And they will be glued on to the existing bands.  And I think this includes the boxes as well. 

That's interesting. i would have thought given PCC involvement, it would have been done in HK/China and sent across. 

Still, that is a huge step for the Cubans :spotlight:

8 years ago they said it was all a fad and likely to go away. "nothing to see here" .....apparently :rolleyes:

The LCDH is closed but there remains some work to do.  Went to visit my friend Daniele.  They stripped down the humidor, moved all the major display furniture too.  Here are the "after" pics.  Very sad.

A look out from the humidor.

IMG_20200114_1514240.thumb.jpg.d3e9f1c444516a3e78319566d6dba668.jpg

Seating area (where no cigars could ever be enjoyed)

IMG_20200114_1514504.thumb.jpg.db976aa7519c135a000a1ba980da4374.jpg

The bar where at least drinks could be enjoyed.

IMG_20200114_1514535.thumb.jpg.b0a1d658635f7ce2958063982bb992a3.jpg

Wide shot from seating area towards front desk.  (Humidor in the top left area)

IMG_20200114_1515444.thumb.jpg.b4227f6a89ef63892963e4eefaf06cf2.jpg

8 foot wide LCDH sign. People wanted this, but they had to toss it out.  :( 

IMG_20200114_1515199.thumb.jpg.425fe58984726b9bb69af832750bdc74.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Very sad state of affairs. Used to go there for smokes when I traveled up to Canada regularly in the early 2000's

Was in Toronto the day the ban went into effect, one of the last to smoke legally inside.

I was there on the 31st of December as they were winding down and then closing up. I believe I made the last purchase there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2