Last Look? Toronto LCDH

On 1/7/2020 at 11:12 AM, JohnS said:

I think @Luca can verify better than myself, but my understanding is that they are glued over the original band.

Yep....glued over the original band. From memory I think the Gov here want the plain band to remove/destroy the original band if someone tries to take it off.

• Thanks 1

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cigars and tobacco are a tough business in Canada.  And with the idiotic plain packaging rules that are coming into effect; the death march begins.  The Toronto LCDH will shutter its' doors forever De

I know that this might not seem like much consolation, but there is the black market. Support our local black-marketeer, pirate!!! All hail the King!.   On a more somber note... I will

You are suggesting he smoke on his private property ? Is that Legal in Canada ?   

51 minutes ago, Luca said:

Yep....glued over the original band. From memory I think the Gov here want the plain band to remove/destroy the original band if someone tries to take it off.

Correct. The glue used must be strong enough to destroy the original band if someone attempts to remove the plain packaging band.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Fuzz said:

Correct. The glue used must be strong enough to destroy the original band if someone attempts to remove the plain packaging band.

Is this accurate? I would say it's been about a year since I last did it, but I have occasionally bought a single of a limited cigar of some kind (LE, RE etc) from either Alexanders or the LCDH in Melbourne. I have always found that the green band was paper, held at the back with sticky tape. Easy to remove by unpicking the tape, no damage to the real bands underneath, definitely no glue. If it was a double banded cigar sometimes they would have removed one of the bands presumably as the green label wasn't big enough to cover both.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ATGroom said:

Is this accurate? I would say it's been about a year since I last did it, but I have occasionally bought a single of a limited cigar of some kind (LE, RE etc) from either Alexanders or the LCDH in Melbourne. I have always found that the green band was paper, held at the back with sticky tape. Easy to remove by unpicking the tape, no damage to the real bands underneath, definitely no glue. If it was a double banded cigar sometimes they would have removed one of the bands presumably as the green label wasn't big enough to cover both.

The legislative intent is accurate. 

The execution is "lenient"

Let's not discuss it too openly ;)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 year later...

This is so sad.  I am moving to Toronto in the new year and have been searching the forum for places to smoke.

Maybe a sill question, but are there private clubs for smoking cigars in TO?

or places that a group of BOTL can share the rent on for private smoking?

52 minutes ago, Ghabanos said:

This is so sad.  I am moving to Toronto in the new year and have been searching the forum for places to smoke.

Maybe a sill question, but are there private clubs for smoking cigars in TO?

or places that a group of BOTL can share the rent on for private smoking?

How about just smoke in your soon to be house?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

In Canada we get leasehold. No citizen actually owns land. We lease it from the crown.

So technically private property isn't truly private. 

I don't think that applies everywhere. Most of the land is owned by the crown/government state (like most countries) but I think the stat according to Wikipedia is that 11% of land is privately owned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Land_ownership_in_Canada

https://www.squareone.ca/resource-centres/homeowner/fee-simple-ownership#:~:text=Fee simple or freehold ownership,duration%3B it does not expire.

Edit: although from the same source

Fun fact

Thanks to the aforementioned British connection, Canadian landowners don’t technically own their land — they have “land tenure.”

Land tenure sounds kind of feudal, but it’s not really different from outright ownership in practice.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

In Canada we get leasehold. No citizen actually owns land. We lease it from the crown.

So technically private property isn't truly private. 

Sounds like Arizona where land leases are very common.

12 minutes ago, Hammer Smokin' said:

any private land ownership in Canada would have been deeded before 1867.

I mean in practical terms.

I believe most private land in Canada is not leasehold, it is freehold (Fee simple).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fee_simple

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allodial_title

Now theoretically the crown may have some higher claim. But it amounts to the same as US private ownership, since even there the state can expropriate land (eminent domain), and collect taxes, etc.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/21/2021 at 7:44 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

How about just smoke in your soon to be house?

Revisiting this. I don’t think I can afford a house here. What the heck is going on with the property market. Crazy!

• Sad 2