Cant get humidity below 65 in avallo humidor

Hani

Bello BOTL i just got my avallo 2000 temp control couple weeks back, i cant get the RH to go below 65 keeping temperature around 70, every time i try to bring temperature down RH goes up any suggestions i like to smoke my cigars a little drier than 65IMG_2243.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What’s the ambient RH in your room? I’m assuming you have the humidifier set below 65.

Its 70f and i have the rh set at 62 and temp at 70 my cigars feel wet

Ok. My only idea then would be that your cigars are giving off that extra moisture or the humidity canisters in the Avallo are passively letting out moisture even though the system isn’t calling for it.

I’m not that familiar with his canister system though.

• Like 1

Ok. My only idea then would be that your cigars are giving off that extra moisture or the humidity canisters in the Avallo are passively letting out moisture even though the system isn’t calling for it.

I’m not that familiar with his canister system though.

Am going to put some dry heartfelt beads 65 and see

• Like 1

I noticed in my basement, now in the summer my aristocrat humidity usually rises. My basement stays around 68 degrees. Usually were I like it. But my humidity it around 68% My unit hasnt ran in 3 months. Once winter comes it runs like a beast. Could just be a the change in temp. Where are you located?

• Like 1

I noticed in my basement, now in the summer my aristocrat humidity usually rises. My basement stays around 68 degrees. Usually were I like it. But my humidity it around 68% My unit hasnt ran in 3 months. Once winter comes it runs like a beast. Could just be a the change in temp. Where are you located?

Am in Toronto but i have my cabinet on main floor not basement, since its more humidity down there in Summer. Do you dry box?

If you need to remove humidity to lower RH in the hot sticky months. I've found that adding moisture is much easier than removing it. The Dry and Dry  product is the best I've found. 5 lbs will do it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Premium-Silica-Desiccant-Industry-Standard/dp/B01BLYLUSY/ref=pd_cp_328_3?pd_rd_w=X5sZt&pf_rd_p=ef4dc990-a9ca-4945-ae0b-f8d549198ed6&pf_rd_r=NTB006H272XQ256YS8T5&pd_rd_r=b4991b22-0ee8-4b15-817b-ce8315e43416&pd_rd_wg=C54Il&pd_rd_i=B071QX7228&refRID=NTB006H272XQ256YS8T5&th=1

• Like 2

I haven't dry boxed. I am in a position now that all my sticks are smoking real good. I am actually liking them more at 66-68 then 65 and below. I will have to see what happens when I get matt's Unit in. 

What temperature with this RH?

Leave the door open an inch or two, for a couple hours, then see where things are at.  I do that with my Staebell occasionally when the ambient RH creeps up in the summer.  Another forum I frequent has a great thread about humidor "Seasonal Mood Disorder" and it's effect on our cabinets.

For any of us with a cabinet humidor, I can't recommend the little wireless hygrometers from Sensor Push highly enough.  Salt test them when you get them, and then you have an independent and accurate way to check on things without opening the door.  I have two in my cabinet (top and bottom).

Another handy accessory is a cheap desktop humidor where you can "dry box" cigars for a couple days before you smoke them.  

Good luck..!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Hani said:

I did remove the water from the humidication unit but still hovering at 67 RH how are you doing with yours?

I was hovering around 66/67 RH . I added a pound of 60 rh beads and that did no help. So I’m still not as low as I’d like to be either

• Like 1

@Hani- if you lower the temperature, the Rh% will always go up. This is the reality of psychometrics. Your Avallo is fairly full, which means that if you lower temperature and RH, it will take at least a few days for the boxes and the environment to stabilize, maybe more. The other issue to consider is that your hygrometer in the unit may not be precisely accurate. I would suggest that you get a digital hygrometer and a calibration kit on Amazon and verify your actual conditions. 

As already stated, it is more difficult to remove humidity in the summer months, than to add humidity in the cooler months when the actual moisture content in the air is pretty low. 

I am looking for 65% or lower humidity in an IGLOO 160 for full boxes and a 50 box cabinet and admit to difficulties.  I unplugged the electronics at the beginning of summer and want to keep it off.  I have not pulled the trigger on beads but need at least a couple of lbs. for the IGLOO.  My question is buy 60% or 65% Heartfelt Beads?