Romeo y Julieta Coronitas en Cedro RAU SEP 16 (RJRW)

I will start this review off with saying I was a little preturbed after I purchased these and when they arrived the box code was cut off.   Everything else looked legit so I am fairly sure they are real.  The previous box I purchased from the same retailer (HdM Epicure Esp) had the code in tact and it all checked out.  Anyways after that experience I have exclusively ordered from our hosts and have been 100% happy with every order.

These cigars have a ton of mongrel to them.  They are getting better but I don't know if any amount of age will ever get them to a decent cigar.  I really like the Petite Corona format and some of my favorite cigars are PLPC, Monte 4's, and Punch Petite Coronations.  Cold draw is deceptive it is light tobacco with creme.

1164292401_ryjcoronencedro04.thumb.jpg.29998c7f2e49626c8c5cd2274c5d64c3.jpg

First third seems to be fairly mild I mostly get vegetal and it seems pretty mild compared to previous ones I have smoked.

875517138_ryjcoronencedro01.thumb.jpg.af1193e91666d7935f328dd2af664949.jpg

The second third it really starts to pick up.   Tons of black pepper, a decent amount of cedar.  It gets strong fast.

387533928_ryjcoronencedro02.thumb.jpg.fb2d8faef0bfb3a4becb331f208d8f75.jpg

Last third is just a ton of black pepper and some acrid flavors in the background.   I spend most of my cigar smoking years smoking NC so I am used to very full strength cigars.   But there there is some off acrid flavors that just turn me off with this cigar.  I smoked it pretty far but not even close to where I usually smoke cigars.   Like the beer I drink I like to have cigars with several different flavor profiles.   But I don't know if these will ever turn the corner and be one of my goto cigars.  I am thinking I will wait another 6 months to smoke one.  I will say draw wise it was excellent and the burn was perfect.   I am wondering if I just got a really bad example of this cigar.  I would be interested to see what others experience are with this cigar.

1872342591_ryjcoronencedro03.thumb.jpg.5cbc61bb6cd5d058f37aa065321ef23d.jpg

• Like 3

I have a few left from a May 18 WBM box. Basically they have almost no flavor. Light toasty tobacco and that's about it. No progression, nothing interesting about them.

I kept them in the humidor for six or eight months so far, very little improvement with time. Maybe they picked up a bit of wood overtone. Been using them as dog walking sticks to clear out the space in my humi. I don't sense that these will improve with more rest. There's nothing there to work with.

Oddly, some reviews talk about how strong and flavorful they are and how they give up trademark RyJ black cherry vibe on the cheap, yada yada yada, but for me they were totally blah air bombs. I've had $2 short filler NCs that blow these away.

The price is surely right and I like the vitola. I am somewhat inclined to give these another shot but it would be encouraging to smoke a good specimen first!

1 hour ago, J-ROB said:

I have a few left from a May 18 WBM box. Basically they have almost no flavor. Light toasty tobacco and that's about it. No progression, nothing interesting about them.

I kept them in the humidor for six or eight months so far, very little improvement with time. Maybe they picked up a bit of wood overtone. Been using them as dog walking sticks to clear out the space in my humi. I don't sense that these will improve with more rest. There's nothing there to work with.

Oddly, some reviews talk about how strong and flavorful they are and how they give up trademark RyJ black cherry vibe on the cheap, yada yada yada, but for me they were totally blah air bombs. I've had $2 short filler NCs that blow these away.

The price is surely right and I like the vitola. I'd am somewhat inclined to give these another shot but it would be encouraging to smoke a good specimen first!

I had heard some people mention that about the RyJ cherry flavor.   I would love these if they had some of that.   Mine are from 2016 so they currently have 3 years on them.   Maybe the earlier ones like mine are stronger.   Only way I would buy them again is off a 24:24 with of a description of having cherry.

On 9/9/2019 at 9:24 AM, JayHabanos said:

Coronitas en Cedro is a cigar that ages well in my experience. It was a terrible cigar fresh but after 5 years it turned the corner- nice floral elements to the cigar. Put them down for a long sleep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My first post past my intro post was asking about CC with floral aroma to them.   One of the responses was Coronitas en Cedro which is one reason why I purchased the box of them.   I guess I will let them rest.