Band on or off.

Bands and lighting a cigar.   

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was asked Friday how many of our members take the bands off their cigars before smoking them. 

I said I didn't know but would hazard a guess that at  least 20% would take the band off before they lit the cigar. 

Let us know in the poll and let's see if I was right or wrong. ;)

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve found out the hard way a few times that it’s too easy to ruin a cigar right at the start by removing a band early. The bands stay on for me.

Band on.  I enjoy the experience of smoking the cigar and looking at it too.  Taste, smell, and see. 

*I'd prefer to leave the bands on, but if it's a band taking up 3/4 the length of the cigar, then after smoked for awhile & the glue on the band loosens it; off it comes.

1 minute ago, Islandboy said:

I’ve found out the hard way a few times that it’s too easy to ruin a cigar right at the start by removing a band early. The bands stay on for me.

Agreed. Though i almost always remove the band, i rarely do so before lighting, unless it very loosely slides off. I'd say most frequently I remove the band around the 1/3-2/3 points

• Like 1

*I'd prefer to leave the bands on, but if it's a band taking up 3/4 the length of the cigar, then after smoked for awhile & the glue on the band loosens it; off it comes.

• Like 3

I'm a band on guy because I like to take photos to keep track of what I've been smoking.

Sometimes I feel even getting to final third the band just doesn't want to come off and have damaged quite a few wrappers but normally at the end of the smoke so I'm ok.

I like to keep my bands so dont like peeling them but rather taking them off whole.  Follow up poll...who slides or peels bands off....

• Like 2

I take the band off before smoking if it comes off easily. If it gives me resistance I wait until it heats up enough to remove it. I don't like the feel of it it my fingers if that makes sense.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I've always smoked with the band on, up until the burn gets close, then I take it off. Never thought to ever take the band off beforehand, unless there were multiple band that covered half the cigar. And even then, I still kept the last band near the head, just because.

• Like 1

Band stays on until the ember reaches roughly the halfway mark, or maybe slightly further if it's something bigger like a churchill/double corona.  If there are two bands, both come off at the same time.  And unless the band is really loose, I don't bother trying to slide it off anymore - I've torn too many wrappers trying to do this in the past, and typically the band ends up in the bin at some point anyway.

As stupid as it sounds, I prefer the band removed while smoking, but I leave it on in case the wrapper starts to unravel as I can use band to help manage this.  

• Like 1

English custom is to remove the band before lighting but outside of there, and at the risk of seeming ostentatious, I leave the band on until the cigar burns down to it for the simple reason that removing a band can easily damage the wrapper. I'd rather have 3/4 of the cigar smoked before that happens.

• Like 3

Bands on for me.except at the very end.if it gets that far ? then the band comes off ...

• Like 1

I always leave the band(s) on until the cigar has burned up to them, unless they are really loose and just want to slide off, as is often the case with piramides and belicosos.

I used to follow supposed etiquette in the early days of smoking and removed the bands as that was supposed to be less ostentatious, but tore too many wrappers on cigars where the applier of cigar labels was a little too generous with the glue.

Letting the cigar burn up to the band heats up and softens the glue. And, putting manners and politeness aside, these days I couldn't give a toss about supposed cigar etiquette.

I remove the band beforehand unless I specifically know that I want to take pictures of the cigar. I’ve only ever damaged a cigar trying to slide the band off, so I always peel them these days. Often destroy the band in the process, but haven’t really had any issues damaging the cigar itself even with one box of secretos where they seemed to have just drizzled glue all over the cigars as a topping before closing the box. Like there was seriously glue on the cigar half an inch from the band.

i agree with those who have said they enjoy the tactile feel of the nude cigar. I also don't want to deal with trying to get the band off a lit cigar while I’m smoking it. Kind of a pain and also just breaks up the mood. I always smoke past where the band was, so why not get it off before there’s an ember attached to it?