Band on or off.

Bands and lighting a cigar.   

202 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Bands on! It shouldn't, I know, but this idea of English etiquette dictating that it should be removed so as not to appear showy etc irritates me a little bit. So the angry little rebel that's still very much alive and well in me goes polar opposite and keeps it on, although not solely for that reason, I should say. If anyone happens to see me smoking and wishes to judge me, they're more than welcome to, but I'm the one that's put the hours in and done the work that's afforded me that moment of R&R!

• Like 1

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’ve found out the hard way a few times that it’s too easy to ruin a cigar right at the start by removing a band early. The bands stay on for me.

Band on.  I enjoy the experience of smoking the cigar and looking at it too.  Taste, smell, and see. 

*I'd prefer to leave the bands on, but if it's a band taking up 3/4 the length of the cigar, then after smoked for awhile & the glue on the band loosens it; off it comes.

Like many discussed above, I've damaged too many wrappers trying to remove bands too soon. The bands come off when they are ready, not at any other specific time. Maybe partly a problem of having mostly newer cigars in my stock. Aged ones seem to come off much easier. 

If it comes off easily pre light then it comes off. Otherwise it stays on.

I’ve had a run of cigars I either haven’t been able or haven’t been interested in nibbling lately, so I haven’t really had a need to get past the band unfortunately.

Band(s) stays on until it needs to come off. The heat from the cherry will soften the glue a bit as well. I’ve damaged wrappers fiddling with bands. With that said some sticks will have loose bands after dry boxing and they can easily slide off if you are a collector. No harm there.

13 hours ago, Cubadust said:

I always slide the band off, for the same reason. A bandless cigar is a beauty.

Same reason, opposite result. You enjoy, I enjoy! 

• Like 1

Gents

When removing the band (if snug), just apply a little bit of lighter heat to the bottom of the overlapping band section (don't apply it directly...just a little way away). The band will come off as easily as hooks on a bra. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Leave the band on until last third. Don’t want to risk destroying the wrapper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same approach I take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

18 hours ago, Burningman said:

I prefer band off but will leave it on if the band doesn't easily come off.

Ditto - 

As much as possible, I prefer mine in the nude....