Hunting in Cuba

7 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

I think I’d skip the nightmare of bringing in my Browning and just rent one of theirs. Sounds like fun though. 

In theory it's possible... not so sure it would be as easy to get it back home though! 

I haven't heard of it before but Toby Brocklehurst would be the person to ask.  Shoot me a PM and I will give you his email. 

I would be quite amazed if there is any semblance of a professional (what we consider a safari/lodge) operation going on. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I haven't heard of it before but Toby Brocklehurst would be the person to ask.  Shoot me a PM and I will give you his email. 

I would be quite amazed if there is any semblance of a professional (what we consider a safari/lodge) operation going on. 

I believe there is for bird shooting. Just how professional would be open to judgement...

I would love to hunt in Cuba. But I wouldn't even consider trying to bring my own gun. Most police officers don't even carry guns in Cuba, and I believe they're completely forbidden for the average citizen. 

Those prices are ridiculous. Even more so when you realize they are for the 2013 into 2014 hunting season. If the prices/dates haven't been updated in 6 years, I think the chances of this still being active are slim to none. 

Along similar lines, I've heard great things about the game fishing in Cuba. My personal experience doesn't  match the lore, but I had enough fun not catching anything that I would go again. 

Those prices are quite cheap. I pay in the UK 300gbp a day on our syndicate shoot  for 100 birds between ten of us. E.g we each pay 300 each. Plus tips and drinking money.

A big day of 500 birds or so is 1500gbp each.

A week of shooting for 2300 Euro is cheap. Probably some of the cheapest shooting I have encountered. That is of course providing it is driven shooting. And comes with accomodation too.

The one website indicates that it is possible to take two guns with you. My problem would be getting those said guns back into the UK. I would imagine the Cuban authorities are somewhat more laidback about firearms than the UK authorities.

2 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

I suspect that you are in for one massive surprise.

The likely scenario (if it follows others) is that the license was sold to foreigners, they were kicked out and the government kept the money, the website continues, your guns are confiscated at entry never to be seen again, your driver isn't at the airport, you manage to find the lodge the next day by your own ingenuity, the family living there has never heard of the outfit but are willing to take you out to shoot on their neighbours farm for 20 CUC and they will provide lunch (rum for all not included), you have to use a slingshot, you manage to kill a bird which unbeknown to you becomes lunch for all, you are offered Cohiba Sublimes from the factory, the neighbours find you on their farm and chase you off, you hitch hike the highway back to the airport, your sublimes are confiscated at the airport. 

Honestly sounds just like the kind of adventure I am in desperate need of. Sans losing my guns. Only just purchased these ones and as they are not hand me downs from the old man but rather guns I purchased myself after seeing them all sparkly and them looking seductively in the shop whilst taking my usual gun in for yet another repair I really couldn't resist. As such I'm a little attached to them...

2 hours ago, Ritch said:

Those prices are quite cheap. I pay in the UK 300gbp a day on our syndicate shoot  for 100 birds between ten of us. E.g we each pay 300 each. Plus tips and drinking money.

A big day of 500 birds or so is 1500gbp each.

A week of shooting for 2300 Euro is cheap. Probably some of the cheapest shooting I have encountered. That is of course providing it is driven shooting. And comes with accomodation too.

The one website indicates that it is possible to take two guns with you. My problem would be getting those said guns back into the UK. I would imagine the Cuban authorities are somewhat more laidback about firearms than the UK authorities.

That is pricey.  Consider coming down to my neck of the woods and stopping by Pursell Farms.  In addition to pheasant and quail hunts and since they’re affiliated with Orvis, they also offer fly fishing (even though I think the lakes are stocked with bass and bream which are easily fished with an old Zebco 33 and a red wriggler).

• Like 1

6 hours ago, argrovesjd said:

My advice is to go to Cuba for the history, the cigars, the rum and the people.  And leave the hunting for elsewhere.

Best advice so far.

One does enough "hunting" in Cuba anyway as it is ....

• Like 2