Bourbon collecting methods

RicoIsHere

I've been absent due to business travel for most of the summer and see I've missed many great topics, and many offerings on 24/24. Hopefully no more travel this year! My consolation to missing  all the 24/24s is shopping for rare bourbons.

When I travel,  I'm always in these very small, remote towns. As a bourbon collector, I've found this is really the best way to find hard to find bourbons. And small liquor stores don't hike prices 10-fold. This trip I walked into a tiny store and they had three 1.75 liter bottles of Wellers Special Reserve, each at $45.00. I bought two, and will go back tomorrow to see if they received their weekly delivery, and hopefully they'll have Weller's Antique 107 ( I'm not greedy). Since many states will not shop liquor to DC or MD, I also managed to have Weller's 12yo shipped to my hotel. 

I'm curious what methods do other bourbon lovers use to get hard to find bottles? 

20190910_204127.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

It seems a popular strategy is to not tell anyone your strategy.

For me living in Ontario, Canada I can only go to one place. The government run liquor monopoly store also known as the LCBO. Unless I am traveling to the US, in which case I do basically the same as you. Hit as many liquor stores as I can until I come across something noteworthy I can't get here. Once I nearly came in my pants to find a several bottles of Weller 12 just sitting on the shelf in a liquor store in Florida while I was on vacation. You never know what you might find.

Happy hunting!

• Like 1

I collect it in a glass before I collect in my belly! JK My local Costco gets some good hooch on occasions.  I always make sure to swing by that aisle and look. I found some Hibiki 12, Harmony and some Peerless Rye. The price is usually really good. 

• Haha 1

I collect it in a glass before I collect in my belly! JK My local Costco gets some good hooch on occasions.  I always make sure to swing by that aisle and look. I found some Hibiki 12, Harmony and some Peerless Rye. The price is usually really good. 

What?! Hibiki at Costco? Better re-up my membership. I found Harmony at Trader Joe’s of all places for the best local price I’ve seen so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, ThePolskiOgorki said:

It seems a popular strategy is to not tell anyone your strategy.

For me living in Ontario, Canada I can only go to one place. The government run liquor monopoly store also known as the LCBO. Unless I am traveling to the US, in which case I do basically the same as you. Hit as many liquor stores as I can until I come across something noteworthy I can't get here. Once I nearly came in my pants to find a several bottles of Weller 12 just sitting on the shelf in a liquor store in Florida while I was on vacation. You never know what you might find.

Happy hunting!

know a few guys that feel that way! My thoughts are it's only booze, what the hell....same approach to cigars.  I've established pretty good relationships with a few liquor store owners and now have a steady pipeline all year long. I always buy 2 bottles, uness there's only 2, so others can enjoy. I keep it low stress

17 hours ago, jackupster said:

Dont sleep on Costco! In NM I walked into one and they had King Louie XIII !

• Like 1