WINNER ANNOUNCED!! Potential Fakes in Cuba : your stories

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Forget the shake down tax. I'm still thinking about condom pizza. I mean wtf? Seriously wtf am I going to eat all week when I go there? Is coffee brewed with dirt? Is rum rusty water? Is bread full if

I agree with you @El Presidente that it is hard to get surprised by scams anymore in Cuba - the ingenuity is limitless ... from Cristal beer cans containing water to fake Santiago rum to using melted

One of by bucket list wishes is to meet and have a long sloppy lunch with the guy who makes, markets/distributes the glass top boxes . They are everywhere in central and south america....every bar, ev

33 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

Its funny listening to people who just spent several thousand dollars on travel, cigars and booze bitch about losing 10 bucks to someone who earns that in a lifetime. Scarily out of touch. 

Huh?  So you are okay with government officials extorting money.  Every time I go down I bring a lot of donations and make sure that the people get them.  I visit independent places and make sure hard working people get money they need.  There is no justification for corrupt agents shaking down people in the bathroom stall.  Your response amazes me.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Huh?  So you are okay with government officials extorting money.  

To be fair, everyone in Cuba who has a government owned job (restaurant/hotel/currency etc) dealing with the public (local and international) is stealing in one way or another.   If you work for a privateer it is a little more complex. 

It is the system that they have set up.  You pay people so little that they are forced to steal.  That instills fear of being caught. No one talks outside of their immediate circle. Govt does what it wants because almost everyone is afraid of speaking out just in case the spotline is shone upon themselves and their family.  Technically, almost everyone is committing a crime at some level due to  necessity. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

To be fair, everyone in Cuba who has a government owned job (restaurant/hotel/currency etc) dealing with the public (local and international) is stealing in one way or another.   If you work for a privateer it is a little more complex. 

It is the system that they have set up.  You pay people so little that they are forced to steal.  That instills fear of being caught. No one talks outside of their immediate circle. Govt does what it wants because almost everyone is afraid of speaking out just in case the spotline is shone on themselves and their family.  Technically, almost everyone is committing a crime at some level due to  necessity. 

Understood. But this isn't my issue.  Corrylax calling me "out of touch" because I'm not okay with a small amount of people benefiting themselves by abusing their power is my issue.  They are not taking that money and sharing it around with the populous.  So a few people get to take advantage of their situation and because I'm not okay with that, I'm "out of touch".  Giving as much as I can to the people while I'm there and doing all that I can to avoid the shakedown of corrupt government officials is what I aim to do.  Not giving a second of concern to the same guy fleecing one passenger after another apparently warrants me out of touch.  Alright then!

9 minutes ago, Monterey said:

Understood. But this isn't my issue.  Corrylax calling me "out of touch" because I'm not okay with a small amount of people benefiting themselves by abusing their power is my issue.  They are not taking that money and sharing it around with the populous.  So a few people get to take advantage of their situation and because I'm not okay with that, I'm "out of touch".  Giving as much as I can to the people while I'm there and doing all that I can to avoid the shakedown of corrupt government officials is what I aim to do.  Not giving a second of concern to the same guy fleecing one passenger after another apparently warrants me out of touch.  Alright then!

I understand where you are coming from  but simply point out that this is not a case of  "a small amount of people benefiting themselves by abusing their power"

It is fricking near everyone.  

Police, doctors, harbour officials, car licensing, visa issuers, business license issuers, tax officials, casa evaluators etc etc etc all the way to meter readers or the guy weighing tobacco bales. 

From top to bottom, side to side, every-one has been brought up to shakedown a little in order to make ends meet. 

I don't think anyone enjoys the process. Certainly I don't and when I feel I am really being screwed, I will buck up and the issue is renegotiated or dismissed. However I accept it is part of Cuba.   Que voy a hacer :D

31 minutes ago, Capt. Corona said:

Just make sure you keep around 40-50 cuc, in denominations of 10's, in your pocket (not all in the same pocket either) when leaving and you should have no problems. ?

:unknown:

I'd be their least favorite target if they ever decided to shake me down -- both times I went I had spent literally every CUC I had before heading to the airport :) ;) :)

1 hour ago, SenorPerfecto said:

I'd be their least favorite target if they ever decided to shake me down -- both times I went I had spent literally every CUC I had before heading to the airport :) ;) :)

It is amazing what you find when they are holding your passport ;)

18 minutes ago, Ritch said:

Forget the shake down tax. I'm still thinking about condom pizza. I mean wtf? Seriously wtf am I going to eat all week when I go there? Is coffee brewed with dirt? Is rum rusty water? Is bread full if saw dust? Is that chicken or rat? Pork or person?

And to top it all it seems like every one is selling fake cigars, even the lcdh's. May as well stay at home, buy some fakes, bbq a rat and order a condom dominoes. 

My one trip was enough for me for this very point...the food is the main reason I will likely never go back...call me spoiled or a baby I dont care...way too far for me to travel to be miserable when my plate of food arrives...

Desperation setting in as the economy further tanks. Word of this is starting to make the rounds from recent visitors to Cuban resorts. The aggressiveness for tips and all the shortages from theft on resorts is being reported , food getting Gros and scarce, folks will spend the vacation money elsewhere . 

5 hours ago, PrairieSmoke said:

Wow! These are not encouraging stories for someone hoping to visit the island for the first time. ?

Don’t let it deter you. Cuba is such a unique and interesting place. I can’t wait to go back. Just do your research and ask a lot of questions before you go. Aside from our adventure at the airport, we didn’t feel uneasy at all. The worst we experienced was pretty similar to touristy areas in Europe as far as the occasional street hustler, rounding up on restaurant bills, wrong change, etc. 

• Like 2

Interesting to hear so many of these stories of shakedowns, paying off officials, confiscating boxes, asking for fractures etc. I am just making an observation but they seem to target Americans...?

I am Canadian and have never experienced any of this and I have been to Cuba 7 times. And all my Canadian friends have never had issues either. Maybe it’s just shear luck, I am not sure. Or maybe this just happens at HAV airport as I have always used other airports.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, GinFizzLove said:

Don’t let it deter you. Cuba is such a unique and interesting place. I can’t wait to go back. Just do your research and ask a lot of questions before you go. Aside from our adventure at the airport, we didn’t feel uneasy at all. The worst we experienced was pretty similar to touristy areas in Europe as far as the occasional street hustler, rounding up on restaurant bills, wrong change, etc. 

Too bloody right its unique. Condom pizza. I have had pizza that tastes like rubber before but never rubber that tastes like pizza.

I can handle street hustlers and I normally round the bill up for the tip anyhow. But still condom pizza? I cam handle most things in life, I have had a varied and interesting life. But jesus christ condom pizza. Just why? Why? 

6 hours ago, PrairieSmoke said:

Wow! These are not encouraging stories for someone hoping to visit the island for the first time. ?

Some of the sticklers for the rules actually do confiscate the marble ashtrays, so the option for bribery is actually a feature, not a defect.

• Like 3

Three quick stories from our trips to Havana over the years.

I always wanted to visit the Partagas factory as they are one of my favourite brands of cigar. Before we went on the tour (ten years ago ow I think) the guide told us we should not buy any cigars from the rollers during the tour as this was not allowed. Throughout the tour so many were holding little cards with cigars and prices on as we walked past. I was amazed at the brazen nature by which they were showing them. As we finished the tour and enjoyed a genuine cigar at the bar downstairs, I said to my wife "Can you believe how many of the rollers were trying to sell us cigars, all those signs and hand actions they had?" She just looked at me blankly and had completely missed them all.

Our second trip we went back to the Partagas factory to spend a few hours at the bar as we found it a great place to chat to people and while away a few hours. As I was sat there with a Siglo III a guy sat next to me and asked if I wanted to buy any cigars as he could do me a special deal. I just turned round to the shop behind me and told him I could by all I wanted there for great prices whilst knowing they were genuine.  He got really upset when I told him I wasn't interested in his fakes at all. We were sat right at the bar and he was not subtle when he was talking to us.

Finally, on that same trip, my wife decided we should do a day trip to Viñales and see a little more of the country. We had a young tour guide and were the oldest in the group by many years. As we were on the way the guide said that if any of us were cigar fans then he could arrange for us to visit a special shop to get good prices. I rolled my eyes as the younger guys in the group all said they were ready to buy. Later in the day we stopped at this shop in the middle of nowhere, boxes of cigars with glass tops (Montecristo, Cohiba), special bundles wrapped in ribbons. All at "amazing prices, straight from friends in factories". They were all obviously fakes, even my wife knew they were, so we passed on the generous offers, much to the guides disappointment.

14 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

WHAT SMOKING LOUNGE

The VIP smoking lounge at T 2 where my flights leave out of HAV ... it's upstairs and open if your flight has a First or B/C section ... use is included in the ticket.
If not there is a "Cuban" way to use it ... :whistle:

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

In Terminal 2 there is a "VIP" Lounge upstairs. I believe it is reserved for first class passengers, but its Cuba, so there must be a way to buy yourself in. 

Correct - Yes, there is a way ... will tell you in November.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ritch said:

Forget the shake down tax. I'm still thinking about condom pizza. I mean wtf? Seriously wtf am I going to eat all week when I go there? Is coffee brewed with dirt? Is rum rusty water? Is bread full if saw dust? Is that chicken or rat? Pork or person?

And to top it all it seems like every one is selling fake cigars, even the lcdh's. May as well stay at home, buy some fakes, bbq a rat and order a condom dominoes. 

I'd like to nominate your post as "Post Of The Year" - you had me laughing m.a. off for 10 minutes !!

And now to calm down everybody on the "rubber pizza" excitement I started - it was used duing the Special Period in the 90's when Cuba was in dire straits ...
I have not heard about the toppings being used last 20 years - so you are safe.

See The Economist in 2018 on the topic :

Where the rubber hits the road - The many uses of condoms in Cuba

They’re good for fishing, too

CHILDREN in Havana use them as slingshots. At birthday parties and concerts they are makeshift balloons. Women use them to secure their ponytails. Drivers use lubricated ones to shine the dashboards of their vintage Chevys. Revellers sneak them into nightclubs, filled with rum. Fishermen use inflated ones as floats. Winemakers stretch them over the necks of large glass bottles, which they use instead of oak casks. An erect one means fermentation is still producing carbon dioxide; a deflated one means that the process is complete.

Condoms have lots of uses in communist Cuba, where many essential goods are in short supply. Islanders claim, implausibly, that during the “special period” of hardship that followed the collapse of the Soviet Union in 1991, people used them as pizza toppings.

https://www.economist.com/the-americas/2018/08/30/the-many-uses-of-condoms-in-cuba

10 hours ago, mbflash80 said:

My one trip was enough for me for this very point...the food is the main reason I will likely never go back...call me spoiled or a baby I dont care...way too far for me to travel to be miserable when my plate of food arrives...

I am no gourmet - just like decent, good food.
My first culinary experiences in Cuba were terrible as I was eating in Hotels and state restaurants. Miserable food.

Then I discovered the recently allowed Paladares - private restaurants. Best eating experiences, never looked back.

If you do some research and look out for private restaurants you will have good to memorable meals.

I look forward to eating in Havana now ....

10 hours ago, havanaclub said:

Interesting to hear so many of these stories of shakedowns, paying off officials, confiscating boxes, asking for fractures etc. I am just making an observation but they seem to target Americans...?

I am Canadian and have never experienced any of this and I have been to Cuba 7 times. And all my Canadian friends have never had issues either. Maybe it’s just shear luck, I am not sure. Or maybe this just happens at HAV airport as I have always used other airports.

No, they target anybody - not racist in that respect. Have several Canadian friends with similar stories.
But it is mostly concentrated at HAV airport - I have flown out of VRA many times and it is not as pronounced.

9 hours ago, bpm32 said:

Some of the sticklers for the rules actually do confiscate the marble ashtrays, so the option for bribery is actually a feature, not a defect.

My problem with the bribery at the airport concerns air safety/security. If you can bribe an airport official to let pass something, who guarantees the next thing he lets pass is not a danger ...

9 hours ago, bpm32 said:

No rule, but they can be considered a weapon in carry-on luggage and confiscated, but if you put them in checked luggage they’re fine.

Correct.