Box of the Day : Peek at the PCC Aged.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:09 AM, Nico said:

To be fair, the añejados have the old band and tube.

And that's exactly what they would do...

I love how the RyJ Churchills Anejados has a special faux-wood cardboard outer box with the same white square sticker Cohiba Maduros have with the box code.

So clearly they weren't boxed in 07 because the guaranty seal is the current one yet they have the white box code sticker...so obviously that code sticker was made after the boxes--and if we could find out who made the boxes we'd have an answer there.

I hate to say it, but the RyJ Churchills Anejados might be the shadiest of all the Anejados so far and that's saying something.

12 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Let me get this right. You prefer buying cigars with mold, to cigars without? If so, why? What makes a moldy cigar better than one without?

Yes, but a specific presentation. Not any globular or blanketing mold, but very tiny punctate colonies that looks like a dusting of powder or granular at the largest. Why? Because that’s been a common factor of amongst the best Cubans I smoke-  all tye best ones have some degreee of it.  

As I stated earlier, most mold and the mold on the cigars pictured above isn't a deal breaker for me. But it makes me take pause when the frequency rate of molded cigars from a supplier approaches 100%. I understand mold on cigars in or straight from Cuba, climate control and ambient climate being what it is. I don't understand how or why PCC would put away beautiful cigars for 5 years without investing in the proper climate control needed to store them properly. I'm guessing where talking hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars worth of stock, so money shouldn't be an issue.

If these are the "best" examples imagine the science experiments they have brewing. Mold only grows if cigars are stored too wet and/or to warm, occasionally during shipping, if the cigars had extra water content before they where shipped. You never know the journey a cigar has taken during its life, so I've always preferred to buy young, high quality stock and age it myself. This program is an easy pass for me at this point. 

I did see that. But the Lusi's where the worst offender, and unfortunately not unique. All the cigars looked beautiful, and most looked poorly stored. That's confusing to me when the premium that will be demanded is because they have been stored for 5 years. It seems like PCC is shooting themselves in the foot.  

To me, the Lusi’s look perfect and I hope I can snag a box!  

16 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Take a sealed mastercase out of Havana today, store it at 5 years in my warehouse (68% RH and 16 Centigrade) and in 5 years lets open them. we will find specks of mould on 50% of the boxes to different levels. Mold spores are there from the factory, not the warehouse. 

I was recently wondering about this because I just opened my 898 box from 2 years ago and it has some specs of mold. Is there no way to prevent it? Does wiping it down and/or storing at a lower temperature help slow mold growth? My cigars aren't currently cooled.

18 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Cory, that is because you are incorrect in this instance. 

Take a sealed mastercase out of Havana today, store it at 5 years in my warehouse (68% RH and 16 Centigrade) and in 5 years lets open them. we will find specks of mould on 50% of the boxes to different levels. Mold spores are there from the factory, not the warehouse. 

Now don't get me wrong, we can wipe them before taking a photo or call them plume to make people feel better.  Let's face it my friend, it's what has been done for as long as any of us can remember.

Don't kid yourself ;)

... this is because 60F and 68rH is too wet. Just sayin'. Mold spores are everywhere. However they need capillary water to live. Deny them the water... no mold on the cigars.

Cheers! -R

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeyBones777 said:

I was recently wondering about this because I just opened my 898 box from 2 years ago and it has some specs of mold. Is there no way to prevent it? Does wiping it down and/or storing at a lower temperature help slow mold growth? My cigars aren't currently cooled.

It is ok. It is normal. They use to call it plume.?

You can wipe down and store at a lower temp. If you have had your 898 for 2 years already , they should be moisture stable.  It is unlikely to happen again.

• Like 1

I concur with Cory - and to put that straight: mould is NOT a quality token.

That being said, the main issue with that is - in particular with aged cigars - to be sure you are getting an "honest" box. And here's big kudos to be given to Rob & team for not glossing-over boxes! Lightly mould-speckled sticks are then showing that you are not dealing with a potentially "bigger-issue" box. I would always prefer those over a massively (mis-)handled and wiped down box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeyBones777 said:

Ever find mold in the refrigerator? Most people have. If 40F is not going to stop mold, cigar storage temps above that won't either. Limit the water, stop the mold. Mold will grow in low temps, but not where it has not water to live!

Cheers! -Piggy

16 hours ago, Deeg said:

Prez, will there be any quarter-box samplers on any of these or full box only?

on some, quarter boxes will be available. On others no. It is a matter of quantities received for each. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, El Presidente said:

... in retrospect, that didn't make much sense. But it makes about as much sense to now pointing a crucifix at anything with a spec of mould. :D

That’s why I have this guy stop by and check out boxes when they arrive...

2567CC2E-724B-495C-99D3-ED32C219ECE7.jpeg.05cd9e86ba136f41220bdb4a8349b829.jpeg

• Haha 3

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Canoli said:

Does PCC grade the aged stock as well or is it the standard Cuban mix from garbage to gold?

I don't think anyone does it outside of ourselves.

Our team ensures no rubbish slips through however. 

On 9/12/2019 at 1:18 AM, El Presidente said:

It really varies. Some will last minutes and others a day. the quantities are not uniform. 

OK--we have seen a lot of "minutes" ones.     Looking forward to the "a day" ones.  ?

Great stuff--thanks for doing this.

7 minutes ago, Cairo said:

OK--we have seen a lot of "minutes" ones.     Looking forward to the "a day" ones.  ?

Great stuff--thanks for doing this.

OK, don't miss the D4's at the end of the week. Brilliant. 

Does anyone remember if the churchill's already went up? I dont remember seeing them, so I'm hoping there's still a chance. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk