Humidity spike.

Frozen North

I have been using a wineador now for 3 years. It has not moved location since being set up. It was holding a steady 64% humidity for a long time. Recently, it has now gone up to 68%. I can’t figure out why the increase. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It happens to me as well. Humidity is relative to temperature, so as temp goes down, relative humidity goes up. So don't be in panic mod.
Are you using beads to maintain humidity? A relatively full humidor with plenty of beads should stay stable pretty easily unless you are opening it constantly or have added wet sticks as havanaclub already mentioned.

• 5 weeks later...

I’m using a cigar oasis 3.0. Which has had its issues in its own

Right now I have it in the middle of my wineador. It set at 69%RH but holds at 72%. I have two other hygrometers. One at top usually the same reading. The bottom one usually 2% more. I don’t know what the issues are

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does your system dehumidify? If no, that is a problem!

As intimated above. If you wish to debug one of these devises, you need to post more data about your ranges of temperatures and rH both in and out of the humidor.

Cheers! -Piggy

• 1 month later...
On 11/16/2019 at 9:11 AM, PigFish said:

Does your system dehumidify? If no, that is a problem!

As intimated above. If you wish to debug one of these devises, you need to post more data about your ranges of temperatures and rH both in and out of the humidor.

Cheers! -Piggy

+1

It will also be difficult to control if it's on the empty side. Add some empty boxes to take up some space if possible. 

On 12/25/2019 at 7:46 AM, Burningman said:

+1

It will also be difficult to control if it's on the empty side. Add some empty boxes to take up some space if possible. 

A true working actively controlled humidor does not require contents. My humidors work full or empty. Humidors requiring contents to stabilize themselves is just one more compromise that the industry has piled on the consumer as they sell things that don't work.

In my world the packed full humidor does not work well. This is because one wants control over their contents, not contents having control over the humidor. The distinction is important.

The full humidor does not allow for airflow/water vapor flow. If you cannot move the variables that control your space, air and water vapor, then you have no control over your humidor.

Cheers! -the Pig

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, PigFish said:

A true working actively controlled humidor does not require contents. My humidors work full or empty. Humidors requiring contents to stabilize themselves is just one more compromise that the industry has piled on the consumer as they sell things that don't work.

In my world the packed full humidor does not work well. This is because one wants control over their contents, not contents having control over the humidor. The distinction is important.

The full humidor does not allow for airflow/water vapor flow. If you cannot move the variables that control your space, air and water vapor, then you have no control over your humidor.

Cheers! -the Pig

That's because your Kung Fu is greater! I use beads and or Bovedas. It takes longer for them to rebound when the box is empty. I keep it super simple since I do not require temp control.

52 minutes ago, Burningman said:

That's because your Kung Fu is greater! I use beads and or Bovedas. It takes longer for them to rebound when the box is empty. I keep it super simple since I do not require temp control.

You are confusing Kung Fu with Feng Shui... Lord, what you people would do with out me...! -LOL

You make an important point here. What matter is not what any one of us does. What matters is what works for you. I coined the term here, the heuristic humidor. One should use what experience has taught him is best for him(her).... Have a great New Year mate! -Piggy

• Thanks 1