LGC MdO #2 Officially discontinued?

We all know that this cigar had been out of production since 2014, but there had been no official discontinuation. Well I just logged onto CCW and there it was now listed as officially discontinued. I'm pretty sure that I logged on there a few months back and it was still showing as a current vitola... Does anyone have any more info on this? I'm so glad I have a pristine box of these babies in my collection, but this is really sad. LGC has always been my favorite marca and now it looks as if there is only one standard production vitola left, the #4. How long will it last?

• Sad 1

This is a terrible loss. Especially for those of us who honor the classic 898 vitola. I have found this delicacy to age particularly well, with a core that is reminiscent of the 898 Partagas, but enhanced with sweet herbal and floral essences. I'm now smoking from a box of 2008's, with another box awaiting its' moment of glory. 

• Like 1

Just makes me less likely to rush into smoking the precious few i have left. Shame. They'll be missed, surely.

I have to admit though - the few erdm choix supremes I've smoked of recent production, have all been reminiscent [to my palate, anyway] of the unmistakable dna of old strain lgcs. Atleast there's still something in current production that kindles the old lgc memories for me - even if it wears a different band.

• Like 1

Hmm...it's also now showing Hoyo DD and SLR DC as discontinued back to 13 and 14. 

I'm thinking @ATGroom just reached the point where he's given up on them. It is unlikely that they'll be coming back after 5 and 6 years now but without official confirmation it's hard to pencil in a discontinued status.

If so, LGC desperately needs a shot in the arm. One cigar of the Palmitas vitola isn't going to cut it. At least Dip's one model is a Piramides. And the new Sublimes isn't stirring my passions since the Inmensos has been out for years anyway.

3 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm thinking @ATGroom just reached the point where he's given up on them. It is unlikely that they'll be coming back after 5 and 6 years now but without official confirmation it's hard to pencil in a discontinued status.

... it had been - unnoticed by most. There was a run of discontinuations with notice from mid 2013 by Habanos. That had been published at least through 5th Ave at that time (see my post in the CCW-group club, in the discontinuations thread, NSX). That list included all of those 'MIA' sticks we were all wondering about for so long. Among them MdO2, DesD, SLR SerieA, SLRDC etc. A corresponding amendmend had even been made to the official vitolario on HSA's website (there, they were once relatively quick with updating....).

Therefore, CCW is correct in this respect, not just a 'personal' assessment and decision by Alex - it is official. And - just to top it off - what we actually see (not) being made since half a decade is in tune with that, too, unfortunately. Some of those vitolas' boxing dates dripped over into 2014, but that essentially was it.

So, yes, MdO No. 2, as well as LCDH Inmensos are gone - only one format left for LGC. There are rumours of a Sublimes / Geniales or the likes of a Double Robo being planned as regprod - ....whoohoo!! That'll be the day when they'll kill my beloved No. 4.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Fugu said:

... it had been - unnoticed by most. There was a run of discontinuations with notice from mid 2013 by Habanos. That had been published at least through 5th Ave at that time (see my post in the CCW-group club, in the discontinuations thread, NSX). That list included all of those 'MIA' sticks we were all wondering about for so long. Among them MdO2, DesD, SLR SerieA, SLRDC etc. A corresponding amendmend had even been made to the official vitolario on HSA's website (there, they were once relatively quick with updating....).

Therefore, CCW is correct in this respect, not just a 'personal' assessment and decision by Alex - it is official.

Yes, this pretty much.

None of these sources is infallible;5th Avenue discontinuation lists have been known to be wrong, as has the HSA website, and things that aren't produced for years sometimes come back, but all together ... it passes my bar for "official". Will gladly hear the case for them still being around if someone wants to make one.

This is why I haven't marked of the 2019 5th Avenue discontinuations btw... thus far it's just one source.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2019 at 3:52 AM, Fugu said:

Therefore, CCW is correct in this respect, not just a 'personal' assessment and decision by Alex - it is official. And - just to top it off - what we actually see (not) being made since half a decade is in tune with that, too, unfortunately. Some of those vitolas' boxing dates dripped over into 2014, but that essentially was it.

So, yes, MdO No. 2, as well as LCDH Inmensos are gone - only one format left for LGC. There are rumours of a Sublimes / Geniales or the likes of a Double Robo being planned as regprod - ....whoohoo!! That'll be the day when they'll kill my beloved No. 4.

Could we see the documentation?

On 9/15/2019 at 6:52 AM, Fugu said:

Great... just what we need, more extra fat vitolas from HSA!? I mean, I am appreciative and would love to see the brand salvaged but they should come out with a robusto or something of the like, or maybe a standard production belicoso shape. That would be cool...

So my one full box is even more valuable. 
Their most likely all plugged. I'll take it off your hands for the original msrp.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Anyone ever considered the possibility that Tabacuba has found a problem with the general vegas they use for the LGC blends to not be producing what they want when it comes to flavor?  Like maybe the specific farms are in an area of risk when it comes to soil, climate, mold, new seed varietials not working, or any other factors that may lead to reduced yields of the tobacco they associate with LGC.  Just trying to throw out possibilites other than profit that could be the cause of this dwindling brand.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, bbguardsp said:

Anyone ever considered the possibility that Tabacuba has found a problem with the general vegas they use for the LGC blends to not be producing what they want when it comes to flavor?  Like maybe the specific farms are in an area of risk when it comes to soil, climate, mold, new seed varietials not working, or any other factors that may lead to reduced yields of the tobacco they associate with LGC.  Just trying to throw out possibilites other than profit that could be the cause of this dwindling brand.

Funny, I was recently thinking the same thing. 

On 9/19/2019 at 2:06 AM, bbguardsp said:

The same could be asked about Sancho Panza, Diplo, ERDM, Saint Luis Rey, Vegas Robaina....
And they have no issues throwing out regular ERs of LGC.

No - if they wanted to make them they would make them. The tobacco is needed for other, more profitable in-fashion format cigars.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fugu said:

The same could be asked about Sancho Panza, Diplo, ERDM, Saint Luis Rey, Vegas Robaina....
And they have no issues throwing out regular ERs of LGC.

No - if they wanted to make them they would make them. The tobacco is needed for other, more profitable in-fashion format cigars.

That is what so frustrating about the choice to ax them. I would think if there were a release of regular production MdO2, RA 8-9-8s that they would sell tremendously. I loved the VR Classico, by the time I was able to try a few Dip 5s and MdO2s stock was drying up, there were random sightings, and then they were axed. I think all of those cigars would be decent sellers. Is it just that skinner cigars require more skill to roll lead to more quality issues? One would think that with less overall tobacco required to produce cigars like ERDM Grades de Espana, Mdo1, Partagas SdC 1, 2, &3 that these would be more profitable to produce. I miss all the skinnies greatly. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fugu said:

Sure:

HSAdeletions2013.jpg.4d6c1e8ffb90774f645b3dfa6901b766.jpg

If true, this confirms a lot of suspicions. What a shame! DD, Serie A, MdO2, and SLR DC all gone. Some of the best. 

Not to mention the Mag46 50 cab, my most sought after 50 cab.