Rugby World Cup 2019

David88

So with the World Cup kicking off at the end of the week what are everyone’s thoughts? 

I actually think it’s going to be a very close tournament. I don’t think New Zealand have hit their peak this year and they look their most beatable in recent memory. The New Zealand South Africa game on Saturday should be a cracker! I think if South Africa win they could build enough momentum to go all the way. 

I am also picking  South Africa despite the loss to the ABs the other day.  I think Joe Schmit has been boxing very cutely. Irelands improvement against Scotland was smothering. I think he's been putting out soft experimental performances through the warm ups.  If England could muster a bit of direction, and in-game adaptability/intelligence, they could be worth a shout (but I just dont see it happening).  Loving that Wales looked to have developed a clinical edge, just need to do it against the Aussies now.

I think it will be an SA Ireland final

Jesus Christ!!    Micheal Cheika needs to realise that listing all the things that he's not going to whine about, (during a post match interview), is exactly the same as whining.

Grow a bloody spine man!.   Hooper did excellerate the shoulder into Biggar, and was lucky to only come away with a penalty.    Patchell yes, terrible tackling technique, but Poite also pinged Josh Adams for a similarly soft pen, so in balance Aussie still lucky. 

The annoying content of Cheika's words in only matched by the 'nails down a chalkboard' nasal pitch of his voice. How about, "Good hard, close test match, gutted to be on the wrong side of the result, I thought we could have sneaked it, but congratulations to Wales"  this is what a classy coach would have said......but no!. it's all "couldawouldashoulda" 

It’s been a great World Cup so far. The refereeing has been fairly poor though. While Cheika shouldn’t whine in the post match interview, he was spot on when he said that world rugby’s open criticism of refereeing in the first week has put undue pressure on them. 

The Kerevi penalty was a strange one today, but I remember seeing Parisse given a red card for something very similar last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wow,  Wales v Fiji......it's safe to say my finger nails are shredded.   Although there is massive relief for me and all Wales fans,  the over-riding feeling for me is that it's such a bloody shame that world rugby cant find some way to provide Fiji with world class coaching, frequent world class opposition. With regards to natural talent, physique they look to have the potential to beat anyone. 

It strikes me as incredibly sad that it's possible to have the Jaguares supported in Super rugby, (basically the Argentinian national side),  but not Fiji.   If a super rugby franchise club could be set up in Fiji, it would provide players the ability to stay in their country of Origin,   Stop the likes of Aussie, NZ and France harvesting their best players. Given time, I reckon they would put a great deal of NZ teams to the sword......and there you have it, exactly why it wont happen.

Come on, lets give Fiji rugby the chance it deserves 'Golden Palms'?........ is there a better name that doesn't sound like a massage parlour?

What I can't believe is the lack of contingency for the cancelled England vs France and New Zealand vs Italy games. Let the storm pass and play the games a few days later? Surely it's not that hard, is it?

5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

What I can't believe is the lack of contingency for the cancelled England vs France and New Zealand vs Italy games. Let the storm pass and play the games a few days later? Surely it's not that hard, is it?

Completely agree.  Calling off France v England is massive.   This would of proved to be a massively physical game, and both teams avoiding it gives them a very easy path into the tournament.   It must be a ball ache for the hosts, but get them all on a train to Kyoto and get them to play it on a car park (it doesn't matter if nobody is watching it live), it should be played.  If either team win the RWC personally I wont respect the result.     The margins of performance are so finely measured in international rugby, that giving two of the major teams a game off, is massive.   

Wow!! one of the best games you'll ever see. Congratulations Japan, ????????. You could easily argue, A, more enjoyable to watch than the AB's and B, crisper handing skills. 

Commiserations to Scotland, but considering the talent within the pool, I think even hardened fans would say they didn't deserve to get out of the pool. 

Bring back big Vern! i think Townsend project is on the ropes now.

Cracking game today and glad to see Japan get their first quarter final spot as group winners no less. I normally support the home nations but I can’t resist an underdog! 

Will we see a repeat of 2015 against South Africa now? 

19 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Would it be, dare I say it, like lightning striking the same place twice?

Yep, sadly I cant quite see it.   SA are a million miles away from the shambolic poorly hung together team, they were back in Brighton 2015.   I think Japan will score a few tries, but the South Africa of today, is not only more brutal, but Pollard is now a composed marshal at 10, and the back line is just as rapid and illusive as Japans.

That said, they are just the best team to watch, I hope they do it.

Good luck against England, I see the two Jokers 'toxic Eddie' and "cup half full Cheika', have already begun their war of words.    Eddie commented the other day "the Typhoon gods were on Englands side".........what an incredibly crass comment.     Are we to assume the Typhoon gods were not on the side of the 18 people who have died.   I thought I couldn't detest this walking turd anymore, but he keeps on surprising me.

10 hours ago, 99call said:

Yes Wales!! get in!

And they're playing South Africa next Sunday. All the best! I can't see England upsetting New Zealand next Saturday. If they do, it would be monumental the way the All Blacks are playing at the moment.

4 minutes ago, JohnS said:

And they're playing South Africa next Sunday. All the best! I can't see England upsetting New Zealand next Saturday. If they do, it would be monumental the way the All Blacks are playing at the moment.

Cheers John. 

I'll regret these words, but in a strange way, I would prefer SA to Japan.   We have played SA quite a bit over the last few years beating them 5 times in the last 6 meetings.  SA present a different level of brutality than we can offer, but we can definitely live with them (or at least have done). I think where we hold the dominance is patience, determination, and a cool head. 

Two things that I feel sure of, before going into it, is that we will miss less tackles, and concede less penalties...............I hope!

With respects to the AB's and England......as long as they absolutely batter each other, well see the walking wounded on the other side Ha!

Should be a really good couple of games...cant wait. 

Good lord,  if we are able to beat South Africa.......which is a big IF.  a England Wales RWC final will be the biggest game ever.      Southern Hemisphere fans sadly wont really be able to get it.   its basically Bledisloe x400.       The win ratio is nearly 50/50 largely thanks to the form of the 1970's teams and this current Welsh team.  but this is big brother little brother stuff. If that turns out to be the game, then Jesus.........!!!...............EPIC.    hold your breath,  this just might get crazy

• Like 1

Neither should we consider and England-South Africa or England-Wales Final a 'fait accompli'. The last four meetings of both these match-ups stand at 2 wins a piece.

England vs South Africa

9 June 2018 Ellis Park, Johannesburg 42 – 39 South Africa 2018 England rugby union tour of South Africa

16 June 2018 Free State Stadium, Bloemfontein 23 – 12 South Africa 2018 England rugby union tour of South Africa

23 June 2018 Newlands, Cape Town 10 – 25 England 2018 England rugby union tour of South Africa

3 November 2018 Twickenham, London 12 – 11 England 2018 Autumn International

England vs Wales

February 2018 Twickenham, London 12 – 6 England 2018 Six Nations Championship

February 2019 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 21 – 13 Wales 2019 Six Nations Championship

August 2019 Twickenham, London 33 – 19 England 2019 Rugby World Cup Warm-up

August 2019 Millennium Stadium, Cardiff 13 – 6 Wales 2019 Rugby World Cup Warm-up

2 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Neither should we consider and England-South Africa or England-Wales Final a 'fait accompli

Yep great stats John.  Both Wales and SA have been good in all these encounters, but the reality is, is that England 'should' win, they have the resources, and in a way when they don't win, it should be a massive embarrassment to them.  Interestingly when England were knocked out of their own RWC in 2015, South Africa were given the run of Penny Hill Park (Englands training facility) many of the SA players remarking that they couldn't believe the resources available to England rugby......and that it was a different world, compared to what they are used to. 

The story has always been, What is England?  who are England? and as a brand or a concept they are both a densely rich, and in the same breath, a water thin nation in terms of identity, and what they are about.  Teams like Wales and Ireland have on many occasions in the recent past, have seemed to 'want it more', and this has cast a massive shadow over English Rugby.  On so many occasions they've had it in the bag, but them crumbled  to show themselves as mentally weak........sadly this most recent performance looks like Vader (aka Eddie Jones) has finally got the Death star operational.  

• Like 1

Well, there you have it .....gutted.   But in reality we didn't have the depth to go to the final anyway, so whats the point.     The boys have done us proud, good on them.   The only way Wales can go a step further, is to breath life back into rugby at schools level.  Try and drive out football and other sports.   Love what Warren Gatland and this team have done for Wales,  I can still remember a time when we never used to beat England, and it sucked major balls.   Here's hoping this breeds a whole new era under Wayne Pivac....but to be honest I'd be surprised. 

Good luck to England and South Africa....I loath you in equal measure HA!.......no but seriously Go Bokka!  lekker lekker!