Sign in to follow this  
David88

Rugby World Cup 2019

So with the World Cup kicking off at the end of the week what are everyone’s thoughts? 

I actually think it’s going to be a very close tournament. I don’t think New Zealand have hit their peak this year and they look their most beatable in recent memory. The New Zealand South Africa game on Saturday should be a cracker! I think if South Africa win they could build enough momentum to go all the way. 

I am also picking  South Africa despite the loss to the ABs the other day.  I think Joe Schmit has been boxing very cutely. Irelands improvement against Scotland was smothering. I think he's been putting out soft experimental performances through the warm ups.  If England could muster a bit of direction, and in-game adaptability/intelligence, they could be worth a shout (but I just dont see it happening).  Loving that Wales looked to have developed a clinical edge, just need to do it against the Aussies now.

I think it will be an SA Ireland final

Come on Wales.....lets not let this slip. 

Love the collective' boo's" for Toxic Eddie in the stands

Goddamnit, Haylett-Petty!  I'm going to stop in-play commenting now, as I'm affecting bad ju-ju

Thank God. Fair play to Aussie. very dynamic line breaking runners, just let down by 9 and 10

Jesus Christ!!    Micheal Cheika needs to realise that listing all the things that he's not going to whine about, (during a post match interview), is exactly the same as whining.

Grow a bloody spine man!.   Hooper did excellerate the shoulder into Biggar, and was lucky to only come away with a penalty.    Patchell yes, terrible tackling technique, but Poite also pinged Josh Adams for a similarly soft pen, so in balance Aussie still lucky. 

The annoying content of Cheika's words in only matched by the 'nails down a chalkboard' nasal pitch of his voice. How about, "Good hard, close test match, gutted to be on the wrong side of the result, I thought we could have sneaked it, but congratulations to Wales"  this is what a classy coach would have said......but no!. it's all "couldawouldashoulda" 

My nerves are shot after that. I knew the Aussies were going to come back at us but I didn't think they would run us that close.

• Like 1

It’s been a great World Cup so far. The refereeing has been fairly poor though. While Cheika shouldn’t whine in the post match interview, he was spot on when he said that world rugby’s open criticism of refereeing in the first week has put undue pressure on them. 

The Kerevi penalty was a strange one today, but I remember seeing Parisse given a red card for something very similar last year. 

Wow,  Wales v Fiji......it's safe to say my finger nails are shredded.   Although there is massive relief for me and all Wales fans,  the over-riding feeling for me is that it's such a bloody shame that world rugby cant find some way to provide Fiji with world class coaching, frequent world class opposition. With regards to natural talent, physique they look to have the potential to beat anyone. 

It strikes me as incredibly sad that it's possible to have the Jaguares supported in Super rugby, (basically the Argentinian national side),  but not Fiji.   If a super rugby franchise club could be set up in Fiji, it would provide players the ability to stay in their country of Origin,   Stop the likes of Aussie, NZ and France harvesting their best players. Given time, I reckon they would put a great deal of NZ teams to the sword......and there you have it, exactly why it wont happen.

Come on, lets give Fiji rugby the chance it deserves 'Golden Palms'?........ is there a better name that doesn't sound like a massage parlour?

What I can't believe is the lack of contingency for the cancelled England vs France and New Zealand vs Italy games. Let the storm pass and play the games a few days later? Surely it's not that hard, is it?

5 minutes ago, JohnS said:

What I can't believe is the lack of contingency for the cancelled England vs France and New Zealand vs Italy games. Let the storm pass and play the games a few days later? Surely it's not that hard, is it?

Completely agree.  Calling off France v England is massive.   This would of proved to be a massively physical game, and both teams avoiding it gives them a very easy path into the tournament.   It must be a ball ache for the hosts, but get them all on a train to Kyoto and get them to play it on a car park (it doesn't matter if nobody is watching it live), it should be played.  If either team win the RWC personally I wont respect the result.     The margins of performance are so finely measured in international rugby, that giving two of the major teams a game off, is massive.   

Wow!! one of the best games you'll ever see. Congratulations Japan, 🇯🇵🌸👏👏🌸🇯🇵. You could easily argue, A, more enjoyable to watch than the AB's and B, crisper handing skills. 

Commiserations to Scotland, but considering the talent within the pool, I think even hardened fans would say they didn't deserve to get out of the pool. 

Bring back big Vern! i think Townsend project is on the ropes now.

Cracking game today and glad to see Japan get their first quarter final spot as group winners no less. I normally support the home nations but I can’t resist an underdog! 

Will we see a repeat of 2015 against South Africa now? 

3 hours ago, David88 said:

Will we see a repeat of 2015 against South Africa now? 

Would it be, dare I say it, like lightning striking the same place twice?

19 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Would it be, dare I say it, like lightning striking the same place twice?

Yep, sadly I cant quite see it.   SA are a million miles away from the shambolic poorly hung together team, they were back in Brighton 2015.   I think Japan will score a few tries, but the South Africa of today, is not only more brutal, but Pollard is now a composed marshal at 10, and the back line is just as rapid and illusive as Japans.

That said, they are just the best team to watch, I hope they do it.

Good luck against England, I see the two Jokers 'toxic Eddie' and "cup half full Cheika', have already begun their war of words.    Eddie commented the other day "the Typhoon gods were on Englands side".........what an incredibly crass comment.     Are we to assume the Typhoon gods were not on the side of the 18 people who have died.   I thought I couldn't detest this walking turd anymore, but he keeps on surprising me.