50/50 FOH's Weekly Poll Comp: #24

50/50 Poll #24  

108 members have voted

1. 1. Who's your pick from these heavy hitters of the metal scene?

This poll is closed to new votes

Battle of the Bands, this week. @Auspaul submitted Black Sabbath v Metallica. You know the drill: read the question, vote on the poll, elaborate in the thread if you so desire. Voting participants go into the draw for an El Pres sampler! - Drawn next Wednesday (Aus local time). :spotlight:

5050-flagpole1.jpg

All about 50/50...

50/50 is a weekly poll where we find out whether or not some serious bones of contention questions can be finally be buried or will instead remain above ground as a fleshy 50/50 debate... you know, such weighty issues as these...

If given no other option:

do you prefer Hunnicutt or Trapper in M*A*S*H? 

Connery or Moore as Bond?

Apple or PC?

Smooth or Crunchy peanut butter? 

do you prefer wearing men's or women's underwear?

Sacrificing chickens or virgins?

...that sort of standard fare. 

Vote in the poll and further bolster your standpoint in the thread below if you wish. Poll Votes are public and there's a couple of sticks up for grabs for participants. :party:

Also, PM me Polls that you'd like me to conduct on 50/50 and there'll be a prize for those we decide to use. :thumbsup:

Never was star struck. Grew up in NYC. For certain reasons I have been in intimate settings with a lot of different celebrities during the late 80’s. Liza Minnelli, James Taylor to name a couple. Shook their hands, small conversation. But one night about 4 years ago I am sitting on a couch, I was on the end seat and only the middle seat was open. Right before the beginning, like the last minute in walks this guy about 5’7”, Long black coat, black shirt, black leather pants, Lennon blue sunglasses and sits right next to me on the middle seat of the couch. He turns to me and says with a heavy cockney accent,”you want a pice of gum” I look at him and in my head I’m like HOLY SHIT(star struck) it’s F’in Ozzy! So I say yeah to the gum pop it in my mouth and I am sitting there just thinking this animated character that I listened to growing up is sitting right next to me. I am star struck the first time. Then during the event he keeps leaning over to me and saying something then laughing 3 or 4 times. I couldn’t even understand him but I would look at him and just shake my head yes and laugh with him. Actually had no clue what he was saying! ? it was freaky sitting next to this guy. To me when I was growing up he, how could I explain this.......just wasn’t a real person, he was........I have no words. ? I’ll never forget that.

Ride the lightning. My brother was a big brother influence on this. He was an 80s rocker. Loved Ozzie and Metallica. But I did my first 30 second long burn out in his 77 Chevy Nova while blasting for whom the bell tolls. Carried over into my teen years. Went to a lot of Oz Fests, and black Sabbath is a true legend. But the nostalgia...

• Like 1

Pretty different musical eras here.

I listened to Black Sabbath in the late 70’s (high school) as much as I listened to Led Zep. Never considered them “metal”, wasn’t even a thing then. 

Metallica came on board in the 80’s, giving birth to “metal” as far as I know. “Metal” seems to be largely a generational thing, just not mine. 

Sabbath it is. 

Sabbath without question. They really started the genre, and their first 3 albums are masterpieces which manage to stand their own as both classic rock and metal albums. I own the self-titled on vinyl. Their legacy might be a little stronger if they had stopped making music when they were relevant, but hey if Ozzy wants to keep going, more power to them. Metallica may be well known, but honestly they aren’t even one of the better thrash bands and thrash is definitely one of me least favorite sub genres of metal. While I’m not a fan of a super arpegiated treble riffs or laser gun guitar tones, slayer is without debate a better band. Would still take sabbath over either any day, by a large margin.

I suspect poll responses may fall along generational lines.....Given my age I got to see Sabbath in '75 with Brownsville Station. For all the old guys with old memories, had to go with Black Sabbath. And as @Islandboy said, "Never considered them “metal”, wasn’t even a thing then."

http://

Metallica for me:

- more understandable instrumental music, ballads and thrash metal

- good arrangements

- vocals are perfect for this music

Further evolution of my music preferences on a mix of vocals and alternation of instrumental music, ballads and pressing thrash - Nirvana

Utterly surprised to see Metallica ahead.  Disregarding their fall off the precipice with the "Load" album (and boy was it ever a load!), Sabbath's music has aged so much better.

• Like 3