Cohiba Sublimes

SigmundChurchill

I hate to post these cigars in a forum with the title “Suspect Cigars” because there is nothing “suspect” about them.  They are clearly fakes on several levels.  A friend just texted me this picture, saying that he was selling them for a friend.  I told him they were fake, and he asked me how I could tell, so I went down the list.  I even texted him a picture of a real Cohiba band from 2004 as well as a real new band.  He was pretty embarrassed, and angry with his “friend”.

D540EC08-8672-4FE4-A7B3-6692DEC974E8.thumb.jpeg.aa027120a7c09e41bdf7091daf1a9974.jpeg

For my own edification, what jumps out at you? (I’m trying to learn better myself how to spot fakes... best thing I do is simply always always always buy them from a reputable source so I don’t have to worry)

Buuut, from what I learned, a few things jump out at me:

1) they look way to veiny to be “premium” cigars
2) fakes are very frequently “limited editions” (and I think 2004 is a common one?)
3) did they offer sublimos in ‘04 for them even to exist?
4) one I’m uncertain about... 13 cigars in what I think would be a 10 cigar box? Or, it’s the top 13 of a 25ct box of cigars that I thought came in a 10x.

Beyond that, I can’t really comment on the bands... I’m sure they look fake, but they look nice enough to me.

Again, I’m just trying to learn better how to spot what’s wrong! What all jumped out to you?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

34 minutes ago, Ender1553 said:

For my own edification, what jumps out at you? (I’m trying to learn better myself how to spot fakes... best thing I do is simply always always always buy them from a reputable source so I don’t have to worry)

Buuut, from what I learned, a few things jump out at me:

1) they look way to veiny to be “premium” cigars
2) fakes are very frequently “limited editions” (and I think 2004 is a common one?)
3) did they offer sublimos in ‘04 for them even to exist?
4) one I’m uncertain about... 13 cigars in what I think would be a 10 cigar box? Or, it’s the top 13 of a 25ct box of cigars that I thought came in a 10x.

Beyond that, I can’t really comment on the bands... I’m sure they look fake, but they look nice enough to me.

Again, I’m just trying to learn better how to spot what’s wrong! What all jumped out to you?

What jumped out at me, instantaneously, is that these Cohiba bands didn't exist until a decade after the cigars were made.  

This is what the bands should look like...

EC5CBD0D-6856-4962-A611-17FFD641A8B1.thumb.jpeg.bdb7df1496f8e674aecb389ab2c5d72c.jpeg

And these new bands are even fake as well.  The first thing I look at on the new band, besides the holograms, is the position of the point at the very bottom of the Indian head.  The fake ones in my original post, show the point at the bottom to be smack in the center of 2 white boxes.  The point should be offset to the white box behind it.  Like this...

F1AD3647-02CC-4F34-80B2-1B9B4F57BE38.thumb.jpeg.8dc1b45a9ca429bed3561aaa8d2c278f.jpeg

VS a closeup of his band where the point is right in the center...

7E000582-6A8E-48F2-A9F9-E27143E8F55C.thumb.jpeg.4075da02483c54c45eef9f19993e7532.jpeg

I’m not sure the veins on these cigars would be a dead giveaway, but the cigars dont look very uniform.  Below is a box that is priced at 8000 British pounds in London...

Cohiba_Sublimes_Limited_Edition_2004.thumb.JPG.6feebc1c2307a9ae1d2db766f5970f84.JPG

I did not know that about the point on the head, that was something completely new to me! Is that true for all cohibas? I was also wondering about the nice holograms from a cigar that’s supposed to be from 2004.

By “veins,” I meant that the wrappers didn’t look like they were premium cigars... I’ve enjoyed Nicaraguan 2nds that had better looking wrappers.

15 minutes ago, Ender1553 said:

I did not know that about the point on the head, that was something completely new to me! I was also wondering about the nice holograms from a cigar that’s supposed to be from 2004.

By “veins,” I meant that the wrappers didn’t look like they were premium cigars... I’ve enjoyed Nicaraguan 2nds that had better looking wrappers.

Agree.  They do not.  In well aged cigars, the wrappers usually lose their oily sheen, but these wrappers look like crap.  And as I said, not very uniform like you would expect from a box of Cuban cigars.  These wrappers are very haphazard in their shades.  

It is true for all regular production Cohibas.  The Behikes are actually different.  If memory serves, they are offset to the front square, but that is actually a different band.