Pig vs Cow

OK... I didn't even think this was argument, I always thought everyone believed cow to be the superior meat. After talking to a friend, (from St. Louis) last week, he told me pig was the most magical animal. We compared cuts, and preferred pig every time.

I went to a stag this week and there was another conversation that pig was superior to cow. Now, my father was from Texas. A rib eye is a standard and a smoked brisket is the ultimate art.

Any BBQ artists want to chime in on your favorite animal? 

Pig is more forgiving than cow, and amazing when done right. Brisket is regarded the most difficult to do well. 

For me cow wins over pig if it is done right.

• Like 2

For me it is very hard to beat a perfectly cooked prime bone in Ribeye.  And would put well prepared rack of lamb(mine ?) over most pork. But all tastes are different. 

• Like 1

Grilling some beef filets as we speak, easy as pie to have some great meat. I love me some Duroc pork chops, but they require more preparation, which equals less time kicking back with a fine Cuban. Yep, I’m lazy. Beef it is.

Now bacon.. that’s a no brainer. 

• Like 1

Pig is definitely a superior meat to cow. The blend of fibrous structure of the flesh, the ratio of fat:flesh, and the way the fat and flesh blend. It's not really worth arguing between the two. You can do plenty of wonderful things with beef, but pork is starting the race a few laps ahead, every time

As far as farm animals go, lamb is the perfect meat.

Better than all of those, still, though, is elk. Elk is the meat of the gods. It is transcendent.

• Like 2

Meat eater here. I prefer beef but pork done right will do just fine.

Lambs not a big thing in MN but is getting more popular. The lamb chops Andy Ryan and his wife Nicola made us in Dublin were devine.

Cant wait for Dana to take a shot at making them.

Generally beef, I’ll teak a steak over a pork chop any day of the week. For barbecue though pig. It just depends on the dish. I think pig is a more versatile meat, but on its own and unseasoned I prefer beef. I’ll have to try elk, I’ve never had it, but do enjoy both venison and lamb. Every meat has its place though.

• Like 1

Pig all day long.

We have our own pig raised each season that I split in half with friends.  Special diet and all that; just fantastic.  We buy grass fed beef from Vermont (half a side at a time) and prefer the pig.  

Love them both but have to lean beef for the steak and hamburgers it delivers and brisket done well is the holy grail.  I would choose beef if I had only one but saying goodbye to bacon would be a tearful departure. 

I had to ponder on this one for a bit.  Harder than I thought! 

Tough one. Have to go with cow. Ribeyes, burgers, short ribs, really good chile, ossobuco, beef stew, brisket, veal chops, chateaubriand with some bearnaise...man, I’m hungry. 

I would say, though, probably the best thing I have ever eaten is whole slow cooked pig down in Dominican Republic. The skin and fat below the skin are out of control good. 

I refuse to choose! I say PigOw!

Look, there are few moments that top taking that savory bite of a perfectly cooked cotton candy prime rib, or that fleshy slightly crusty bite of a perfectly grilled bone-in ribeye. Yes! But man;  bacon..bacon..bacon..bacon..  and don't overlook the roasted rack of pork ribs with a salty, peppery, crust finished on the grill... candy!

For personal health and environmental reasons I've cut back drastically on meat, but I still enjoy these things at least once or twice a year. 

Meat polygamist here.... when smoking meats it’s pork butt (shoulder) and brisket, with an occasional pork or beef tenderloin for grins. When grilling it’s ribeyes, filets, bacon-wrapped pork filets, or marinated beef skirt. Beef would be my favorite of the two.

• Like 1