9 Things Banned in the US

Some crackers :D

https://www.newsmax.com/thewire/banned-prohibited/2019/08/28/id/930319/

There is a reason why America is heralded as the "land of the free" but while we have been granted numerous freedoms to ensure liberty and happiness, we also face some strange restrictions. For example: bear wrestling is illegal in Mobile, Alabama, while in Little Rock, Arkansas, you cannot honk your horn after 9 p.m. outside a sandwich shop, Reader's Digest noted.

These are just two weird things that are banned in the U.S. but there are dozens of others that are also prohibited, many of which are well-known things and activities. Here we take a look at nine things that are banned in parts of America:

1. Brass knuckles. It makes sense that lawmakers moved to ban brass knuckles, which were designed to be worn on a fist to inflict serious harm to a person's face. It is prohibited to sell, purchase and possess brass knuckles in several states, Stacker reported.
  2. Bushmeat. Wild game meat in Africa may be an exotic delicacy but its import is banned in America. This is largely due to concerns about spreading infectious diseases including Ebola. Despite this, bushmeat is often still smuggled into the country, according to Stacker.
  3. Kissing (on Sundays). Of all the things that are banned in America, kissing is the last thing you'd expect to find on the list but in Hartford, Connecticut, a man cannot kiss his wife on Sundays, Reader's Digest noted.
  4. Cuban cigars. It is illegal to buy and sell Cuban cigars in the U.S., but Stacker noted that these restrictions were eased by former President Barack Obama.
  5. Internet cafes. In an effort to crack down on illegal gambling taking place in internet cafes, a bill was signed into law in 2013 banning these in Florida. Although the law still stands, there are dozens of internet cafes operating in the state, according to The Reader's Digest.
  6. Kinder Surprise Eggs. Children across the globe share the excitement in opening a Kinder Surprise Egg and discovering the toy in the center of the hollow chocolate egg, but in the U.S. this delight is not something many kids understand. According to Mashed, candies containing any "non-nutritive" ingredients are banned in America. That includes Kinder Surprise Eggs.
  7. Pre-1985 children’s books. Older children's books contained trace amounts of lead and in 2009, a reinterpretation of lead statutes meant any products designed for children containing even the smallest traces of lead were made illegal, Stacker reported. After 1985, lead was removed from the manufacturing process of books but many libraries pulled all books printed before that.
  8. Texting and walking. This is an obvious health hazard and it is advisable not to do, but if you are in Honolulu, Hawaii, you are required by law not to look at your phone or text while crossing the street, Reader's Digest said.
  9. Mailbox vandalism. It is not advisable to grab a baseball bat and smash your noisy neighbor's mailbox. Not only is it disrespectful, but it is also illegal. According to Stacker, it is considered a felony offense to vandalize, destroy or deface a mailbox, along with any mail that may be inside.

Read Newsmax: 9 Things Banned in the US | Newsmax.com
Urgent: Do you approve of Pres. Trump? Vote Here in Poll

46 minutes ago, JoeyBones777 said:

I'm wondering what states have banned Kinder Eggs? Probably California and/or New York but we have them in Arizona. Isn't candy by definition "non-nutritive"??

They’re Federally banned. For a while US Customs was confiscating them on the WA/BC border.

1 hour ago, JoeyBones777 said:

I'm wondering what states have banned Kinder Eggs? Probably California and/or New York but we have them in Arizona. Isn't candy by definition "non-nutritive"??

What you are thinking of are not "Kinder Surprise" eggs, but "Kinder Joy" eggs. Kinder surprise has a toy inside the chocolate, Kinder joy has a toy and the chocolate separated, but within the same packaging. That way, they can say that the toy is not part of the chocolate, even though they are sold together.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, El Presidente said:

Mailbox vandalism.

Mailbox baseball is a surprisingly popular pastime of barely-driving-age boys in rural areas. I remember one particular mailbox near an old hunting grounds of mine. The home owner apparently placed a regular sized mailbox inside an oversized box, and poured in concrete to fill the gap. This was then bolted to a heavy steel post. Anyone who tried to knock that mailbox out of the park would receive a very painful surprise at the impact of the bat.

Rural america is really weird.

People also like to use road signs for firearms target practice. And plan for their retirement when they "finally win the lottery". They buy collections of commemorative plates on QVC, intent on capitalizing when their value skyrockets. I could go on.

Land of the free? Perhaps. Land of the free thinking? Not so much.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

Mailbox baseball is a surprisingly popular pastime of barely-driving-age boys in rural areas. I remember one particular mailbox near an old hunting grounds of mine. The home owner apparently placed a regular sized mailbox inside an oversized box, and poured in concrete to fill the gap. This was then bolted to a heavy steel post. Anyone who tried to knock that mailbox out of the park would receive a very painful surprise at the impact of the bat.

I moved out to the sticks many years ago and learned the mailbox lesson.    With my replacement mailbox I used the opposite approach.   I have a plastic mailbox--when I installed it I intentionally did not fasten any of the screws to the top of the box.   When hit by teens and/or snowplows it "breaks away" from the rest of the structure with no damage at all.

Someone new just moved into the area and replaced the previous owner's break-away box with a beautiful expensive firmly fastened box.    Everyone needs to learn the lesson the hard way (rural hazing).  ?

Just yesterday Massachusetts banned the sale of all all nicotine and THC vaping products for the next 4 months due to the "health risk". So if I wanted to, I can't go to the dispensary to purchase a legal THC vape cartridge that's been tested by a state facility. Plenty of black market vendors are still open for business, I'm sure those are safer.

3 minutes ago, WaffleHouse said:

Just yesterday Massachusetts banned the sale of all all nicotine and THC vaping products for the next 4 months due to the "health risk". So if I wanted to, I can't go to the dispensary to purchase a legal THC vape cartridge that's been tested by a state facility. Plenty of black market vendors are still open for business, I'm sure those are safer.

Call me old fashioned, but doesn't anybody just smoke joints anymore?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

37 minutes ago, WaffleHouse said:

The THC  vapes are pretty apparent they are irritants just after a couple tries.  Don't need a lab or medical professional to figure that out.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cfc1016 said:

35 minutes ago, WaffleHouse said:

That must be the true spirit of the ban.

It's vaping products only. You can still go to your local pot shop and buy your chronic. People will still be able to drive over the New Hampshire or Rhode Island borders for all their vaping needs.

Massachusetts is currently looking into allowing home delivery of weed.

5 hours ago, Hypersomniac said:

What you are thinking of are not "Kinder Surprise" eggs, but "Kinder Joy" eggs. Kinder surprise has a toy inside the chocolate, Kinder joy has a toy and the chocolate separated, but within the same packaging. That way, they can say that the toy is not part of the chocolate, even though they are sold together.

Ok, that makes more sense. I didn't realize they were different.?

3 hours ago, cfc1016 said:

You can buy 'em pre rolled in OR and WA and quite a few other states in the US.......

Automobile sales on Sunday were once a universal ban across the USA.  There may have been changes but my home state of Iowa still bans auto dealers from Sunday sales.  Destroying mail boxes with large firecrackers was once common recreation as bdw1984 pointed out and it can be charged as either a felony or serious misdemeanor under US federal law.

you guys have not even scratched the surface of absurd laws. i say this as an old lawyer. i did a piece on this some years ago (which i will plagerise and turn into a kenfessions) but meanwhile, some of the lunacy, which i should add is not restricted to america. some may have been amended recently but this list was up to date a few years ago. 

in the UK, it is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

in france, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

under the UK Tax Avoidance Act, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don't want him to know, though you don't have to tell him anything you don't mind him knowing.

in Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

in Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

in the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants and even, if she so requests, in a policeman's helmet.

in Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

in Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

in England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

in Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

in Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long. not sure if this still applies??

in the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

in Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

in London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

in Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman's genitals but he is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Sudzdaddy said:

Rural America is weird?  Perhaps where YOU’RE from...  ?

Well... I've lived in 11 states and traveled 40. I've lived in cities of millions, a town of 14, and everything inbetween. Sure there are colloquial traditions, broadly varying geography, and such, but overall, 'murika is 'murika... And 'murikans are weird. Americans are, too. ?