Flying from Toronto to Havana

I'm booking a return flight from Toronto to Havana, looking at one with a short stopover in Miami both ways. Has anyone had any experience bringing cigars back through the US enroute to Canada? It's a much better flight but I'm worried about the cigars getting confiscated/duties etc. Any help is greatly appreciated. 

Can't speak to Cuba --> USA, but landing from other countries has not been a problem for me. 100 cigar pp, $800 duty free limit. Just came back with a stuffed suitcase and no issues.

"Do you have any alcohol and/or tobacco?" 

Yes, I have both. 

"How much alcohol?"

A fifth.

"OK."

Going from US to Canada (I've done both flight and drive, multiple times over the past few years), it's a breeze. I believe 50 cigar pp, I forget DF limit for visitors (and it sounds like you're a Canadian resident anyways.)

• Thanks 1

It is legal to bring in Cuban cigars from Cuba as per the normal duty free limits of 100 cigars / $800 as per above. Anything over that you would just pay duties if they assessed them. Although you could be assessed duty from the US, and then assessed duty in Canada as well if you were over the 50 duty free limit for Canada.

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like trying to go through the US to Havana can be tricky. Tried to book on American Airlines and tourism isn't considered a  valid reason to go through the US enroute to Cuba. Might be better off going direct from Canada and not risking it. 

• Like 1