2019 FOH BLIND TASTING CIGAR NUMBER 2

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The girls sent me hearts   About cigar: two profiles - first half: grass, butter, salt, sweet and sour; - second half: wood, espresso, ash, nut, sweet and sour molasses, salt. This time there's DNA

I seriously doubt that poor quality samples are being sent for this tasting. I doubt even more that even the most experienced smoker on this forum could go 5/5. If a very experienced smoker could go 3

Mine was beautiful and probably the best cigar I have smoked for sometime. Perfect burn and very tasty.

I gotta say, this one was not an enjoyable smoke. I guessed it was one of 3 robustos I have not tried. But could be wrong. Mine may have been a dud, but that is surprising because it seems to be an experience shared by many here. I got no distinct flavors. It was not unpleasant but it didnt have any zip or wow factor to it. I await the reveal. 

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, dominattorney said:

Mine may have been a dud

If everyone is saying theirs is a dud / bland, they must be correct while mine, being quite flavourful with lots of honey, must be the dud instead.....

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Meklown said:

If everyone is saying theirs is a dud / bland, they must be correct while mine, being quite flavourful with lots of honey, must be the dud instead.....

1385125909_download(1).jpeg.a3759522ddcc22c99df6119c3192a0ec.jpeg

We are living in the matrix 

• Haha 2

On 10/7/2019 at 1:55 AM, nKostyan said:

I weighed the cigars before and after acclimatization-number 1 and number 2 did not increase the weight.

Next level stuff here.

I submitted my answer.  The next night had one of my own and have second guessed myself since...

Just smoked mine, tasted some grassiness at the start and then nada. The burn was however perfect throughout. No clue, have a sneaking suspicion I am going 0/5 (that has to be impressive in its own right, right?)

Beautiful cigar, rich, medium full, sweet cake, coffee and orange peel, not a hint of youth. 

I have no idea. I'm 50/50 and on that basis I know I'll pick the wrong one. 

• Like 1

Sometimes you have to take one for the team... As was the case with cigar #2.  My example was a bit veiny with green patches in the wrapper.   The flavor mirrored the appeance - green and rough.  There were occasional hints of berries, hay, and caramel, but the overall profile was marred by bright vegetal flavors that I associate with under-cured tobacco.  

I'm kicking myself now for not doing a more careful job of comparing this stick to others in collection.  I'm wondering whether it could be a Hermoso No 4, or whether it could only be a robusto?  

IMG_20191012_163504219.jpg

IMG_20191012_164611738.jpg

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, mwaller said:

Sometimes you have to take one for the team... As was the case with cigar #2.  My example was a bit veiny with green patches in the wrapper.   The flavor mirrored the appeance - green and rough.  There were occasional hints of berries, hay, and caramel, but the overall profile was marred by bright vegetal flavors that I associate with under-cured tobacco.  

I'm kicking myself now for not doing a more careful job of comparing this stick to others in collection.  I'm wondering whether it could be a Hermoso No 4, or whether it could only be a robusto?  

I measured mine, it was a Robusto.  Sounds like you got a dud!

On 10/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, nKostyan said:

7933742b2f2e66872de84c21968623df.jpg

c63a20b0ab521b998fe02ba5fcda28e7.jpg

The girls sent me hearts emoji177.png

About cigar: two profiles

- first half: grass, butter, salt, sweet and sour;

- second half: wood, espresso, ash, nut, sweet and sour molasses, salt.

This time there's DNA, but the two of them.

Again the fork on the two brands...

Mine was pretty muted, but I got similar tastes to you good sir. 1 of 2 for me as well.

I am honestly at a loss as to what #2 is. I smoked my hunch of what it was afterwards, and I was way off. I smoked another Robusto and was able to cross that off too. I guess that just means I can narrow the potential robustos down by 2... Decisions decisions

Well that was interesting...

Far from the bland cigar some have written of. If this were a blind tasting of the cigars of the world, I would probably have guessed it was a Nicaraguan puro, and a brutally strong one at that.

There were some very nice flavors, but they were overwhelmed by nicotine and pepper.

As a side note, this was probably the toothiest Cuban cigar I've ever smoked. (See photo).

20191018_110811.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/19/2019 at 1:36 AM, tigger said:

Well that was interesting...

Far from the bland cigar some have written of. If this were a blind tasting of the cigars of the world. I would probably have guessed it was a Nicaraguan puro, and a brutally strong one at that.

There were some very nice flavors, but the were overwhelmed by nicotine and pepper.

A a side note, this was probably the toothiest Cuban cigar I've ever smoked. (See photo).

20191018_110811.jpg

Perhaps these are made of scraps from the Hermanos Always project...!

Clearly, this a highly inconsistent cigar.

I have no f$&@“)! idea!

Not sure the Elijah 135 Proof helped...BUT IT SURE DIDN’T HURT!

EDIT: This is truly an awful cigar, I bricked it just over the 1/3 rd way in. Assuming I was correct on choosing  the vitolas class and all the eligible Marcas therein, cross referenced against my typical Cubano preferences, I think I might get this one correct! (Yeah Right ?)

97EF4CEC-1D1E-4311-963B-CC9FD81776FB.jpeg

E6A67BFE-BD65-46E8-82CB-6B48936C4FB8.jpeg

• Like 2

I thought #2 was fantastic, leaps better than #1.

First third was some slight cedar which turned to pure cream.

Second third was sweet, honey and grass, some citrus but it was not orange. Maybe a lemony/lime

Final third was less sweet and much more earthy, ending with a bit of spice/cedar.

I nubbed it to about half a cm!

Whatever that was...I want a box!

1 hour ago, zyxwvu44 said:

I thought #2 was fantastic, leaps better than #1.

First third was some slight cedar which turned to pure cream.

Second third was sweet, honey and grass, some citrus but it was not orange. Maybe a lemony/lime

Final third was less sweet and much more earthy, ending with a bit of spice/cedar.

I nubbed it to about half a cm!

Whatever that was...I want a box!

#2 must be an incredibly inconsistent cigar.  Reviews are all over the place!  Mine was pretty terrible...

• Like 1

I don’t know but that first cigar wasn’t anything like the H Upmann no 2’s I’ve been smoking and I smoke them very frequently.

Cigar number 2 for me was all honey and grassy hay taste. Even smelled grassy barnyard type smell.

• Like 1

I consider myself a lucky one as my #2 was quite enjoyable. Hay barnyard citrus mild medium. Excellent cigar as was the first one. 

• Like 1