First Lady

2019 FOH BLIND TASTING CIGAR NUMBER 2

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Did anyone notice on arrival that the cigar was a little boxpressed?

Mine wasnt box pressed

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Markspring1978 said:

This site encompasses some of the most dedicated connoisseurs of Cuban Cigars and less than 20% of the people who are participating in this contest answered correctly for the H Upmann.

If multiple robustos are the same but have different bands, that doesn't necessarily make them a joke. Personally, I greatly prefer Cuban tobacco to others, regardless if the band is white or red.

I am not making  any sort of allegation that all CCs are the same. Clearly there are some big differences and we all have our favorites. A Sir Winston isn't a RyJ Churchill. My point is that there are some vitolas that are mass produced, most notably the robusto. Many are rolled in the same factory, with the same rollers. I just find the "blending" voodoo to be a bit suspect. And the fact that the guesses for cigar #2 in this competition are going to be all over the map, with a majority of dedicated smokers on this site getting the guess incorrect, I think it proves my point.

still doesn't change the fact last years winner went 4/5, the fact that 20%? got it right (idk how you got the official numbers but ok..) just goes to my point they were bad examples of up2's hell i made a post saying "mine lasted nothing like a uppmann" and got a ton of likes others said it was the worst up2 they ever had, i very much doubt any of those would make the PSP cut

i don't even know what your arguing about other then just to do so, and as for the "mass produced" being random bait and switch more likely they make so many the quality control is lacking

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nKostyan said:

Did anyone notice on arrival that the cigar was a little boxpressed?

Mine was, slightly. Not sure how much to read into based in this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoking mine now, have to say it’s not very enjoyable. And it’s not an array of flavors, or lack thereof, that I recognize at all. There are a few robustos I have not tried, so I suspect it’s one of them, or just a dud. 

I will say I’ve tasted a similar grassiness mixed with off-putting sourness and dryness from a box of Hermosos #4’s I have, but it’s hard to believe this swelled in size that much. 

Edit: I considered chucking this a few times as the finish is quite dry and irritates my throat a bit, but I’m soldiering through. Now in the final third it’s turning quite peppery. Needless to say I haven’t a clue. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Edit: I considered chucking this a few times as the finish is quite dry and irritates my throat a bit, but I’m soldiering through.

I weighed the cigars before and after acclimatization-number 1 and number 2 did not increase the weight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Smoking mine now, have to say it’s not very enjoyable. And it’s not an array of flavors, or lack thereof, that I recognize at all. There are a few robustos I have not tried, so I suspect it’s one of them, or just a dud. 

I will say I’ve tasted a similar grassiness mixed with off-putting sourness and dryness from a box of Hermosos #4’s I have, but it’s hard to believe this swelled in size that much. 

Edit: I considered chucking this a few times as the finish is quite dry and irritates my throat a bit, but I’m soldiering through. Now in the final third it’s turning quite peppery. Needless to say I haven’t a clue. 

Sounds like we had two different cigars.  Mine was rich, flavorful, and not at all dry.  It turned harsh at the end of the final third, but I attribute that to age. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was beautiful and probably the best cigar I have smoked for sometime. Perfect burn and very tasty.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say, this one was not an enjoyable smoke. I guessed it was one of 3 robustos I have not tried. But could be wrong. Mine may have been a dud, but that is surprising because it seems to be an experience shared by many here. I got no distinct flavors. It was not unpleasant but it didnt have any zip or wow factor to it. I await the reveal. 

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine was also bland but I did get some brief moments of flavor that I can narrow my guess down to two choices.  Would be very surprised if it turned out to be something else. Then again, probably not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dominattorney said:

Mine may have been a dud

If everyone is saying theirs is a dud / bland, they must be correct while mine, being quite flavourful with lots of honey, must be the dud instead.....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Meklown said:

If everyone is saying theirs is a dud / bland, they must be correct while mine, being quite flavourful with lots of honey, must be the dud instead.....

1385125909_download(1).jpeg.a3759522ddcc22c99df6119c3192a0ec.jpeg

We are living in the matrix 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/7/2019 at 1:55 AM, nKostyan said:


I weighed the cigars before and after acclimatization-number 1 and number 2 did not increase the weight.

Next level stuff here.

 

I submitted my answer.  The next night had one of my own and have second guessed myself since...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just smoked mine, tasted some grassiness at the start and then nada. The burn was however perfect throughout. No clue, have a sneaking suspicion I am going 0/5 (that has to be impressive in its own right, right?)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smoked it, didn't like it, was pretty bland......got no idea what it is, why do I even bother?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Beautiful cigar, rich, medium full, sweet cake, coffee and orange peel, not a hint of youth. 

I have no idea. I'm 50/50 and on that basis I know I'll pick the wrong one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great cigar. Leather earth cream  twang and paprika; nubbed it. 
 

much better than #1 to me but I’m a novice so who knows 
 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm sure I'm overthinking it, and literally had it sitting next to my option 2, but sent in my pic.  I didn't get much from it.  We shall see. 

 

BlindCigar2.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sometimes you have to take one for the team... As was the case with cigar #2.  My example was a bit veiny with green patches in the wrapper.   The flavor mirrored the appeance - green and rough.  There were occasional hints of berries, hay, and caramel, but the overall profile was marred by bright vegetal flavors that I associate with under-cured tobacco.  

I'm kicking myself now for not doing a more careful job of comparing this stick to others in collection.  I'm wondering whether it could be a Hermoso No 4, or whether it could only be a robusto?  

IMG_20191012_163504219.jpg

IMG_20191012_164611738.jpg

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, mwaller said:

Sometimes you have to take one for the team... As was the case with cigar #2.  My example was a bit veiny with green patches in the wrapper.   The flavor mirrored the appeance - green and rough.  There were occasional hints of berries, hay, and caramel, but the overall profile was marred by bright vegetal flavors that I associate with under-cured tobacco.  

I'm kicking myself now for not doing a more careful job of comparing this stick to others in collection.  I'm wondering whether it could be a Hermoso No 4, or whether it could only be a robusto?  

 

I measured mine, it was a Robusto.  Sounds like you got a dud!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2019 at 2:48 PM, nKostyan said:

7933742b2f2e66872de84c21968623df.jpg

c63a20b0ab521b998fe02ba5fcda28e7.jpg

The girls sent me hearts emoji177.png

 

About cigar: two profiles

- first half: grass, butter, salt, sweet and sour;

- second half: wood, espresso, ash, nut, sweet and sour molasses, salt.

This time there's DNA, but the two of them.

Again the fork on the two brands...

 

Mine was pretty muted, but I got similar tastes to you good sir. 1 of 2 for me as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am honestly at a loss as to what #2 is. I smoked my hunch of what it was afterwards, and I was way off. I smoked another Robusto and was able to cross that off too. I guess that just means I can narrow the potential robustos down by 2... Decisions decisions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well that was interesting...

Far from the bland cigar some have written of. If this were a blind tasting of the cigars of the world, I would probably have guessed it was a Nicaraguan puro, and a brutally strong one at that.

There were some very nice flavors, but they were overwhelmed by nicotine and pepper.

As a side note, this was probably the toothiest Cuban cigar I've ever smoked. (See photo).

20191018_110811.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, tigger said:

Well that was interesting...

Far from the bland cigar some have written of. If this were a blind tasting of the cigars of the world. I would probably have guessed it was a Nicaraguan puro, and a brutally strong one at that.

There were some very nice flavors, but the were overwhelmed by nicotine and pepper.

A a side note, this was probably the toothiest Cuban cigar I've ever smoked. (See photo).

20191018_110811.jpg

Perhaps these are made of scraps from the nudies project...!

Clearly, this a highly inconsistent cigar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no f$&@“)! idea!

Not sure the Elijah 135 Proof helped...BUT IT SURE DIDN’T HURT!

EDIT: This is truly an awful cigar, I bricked it just over the 1/3 rd way in. Assuming I was correct on choosing  the vitolas class and all the eligible Marcas therein, cross referenced against my typical Cubano preferences, I think I might get this one correct! (Yeah Right 😡)

97EF4CEC-1D1E-4311-963B-CC9FD81776FB.jpeg

E6A67BFE-BD65-46E8-82CB-6B48936C4FB8.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just smoked #2 with some sparkling wine, good cigar. lots of earth, some leather, roasted nut, toasted bread, slight sourness. very reminiscent of a cigar in my regular rotation.

-dobbs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.