2019 FOH BLIND TASTING CIGAR NUMBER 3

Enjoyed cigar No. 3

Nice and smooth, good burn.

Under medium most of the way, with cream, roasted nuts, roasted coffee, and toasted tobacco. 

Don't think I have smoked many of these. Narrowed it down to 2..now to find a coin to toss...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Riverstyx said:

This one is impossible to me.  If it is a petit corona, Habanos.com shows 13 different potential cigars.  I think I've narrowed it down to 11.

When I pulled up the possible full list I knew I was going to blow this as I rarely smoke any of this size so I don't even have a basis to guess from!

I am so torn with this cigar. mine has a slight box press as others have mentioned which doesn't seem to coincide with the flavours I am tasting. I've smoke three petit corona that were box pressed and this has a different profile to me. Cream and nuts with a pleasant rich flavour that lingers. Excellent cigar that I'm certain to guess wrong.

Is it possible a tightly packed bundle could create a mild box press look? 

This Cigar was very good.   It was one of those cigars that burned as perfect as a hand rolled cigar could.   Also it never wanted to go out.   I let is sit for longer than I should have and a couple puffs and it was still going.   I think I know exactly what it is but I am sure my guess will be totally wrong.

• Like 1

Smoking #3 now, into the first third. Tightly packed with a tighter draw than I prefer, it tastes wonderful so far. I’m getting a distinct butterscotch flavor, with an intense concentrated sweetness to match. So far so good. 

• Like 1

Second third, the intense sweetness mellows. I get a brief period of fruitiness - apple a la SLR Regios. Delicious, but it doesn’t help. 

Burn is sharp, and the ash hangs on like an Opihi....until it suddenly doesn’t. Damn. 

• Like 1

Transition to the final third started with a change to sharp cedar, luckily brief. Sweetness returned...it’s definitely a flavor profile I’ve experienced, though probably not in this vitola as PC’s are not really my thing. 

All I can say is this cigar almost makes up for the putrid experience I had with #2...almost. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Islandboy said:

Transition to the final third started with a change to sharp cedar, luckily brief. Sweetness returned...it’s definitely a flavor profile I’ve experienced, though probably not in this vitola as PC’s are not really my thing. 

All I can say is this cigar almost makes up for the putrid experience I had with #2...almost. 

great review thanks,

but man I had a great experience with #2 cigar. I was either really lucky or I have a special taste for dog rockets I guess haha.

I just realized #3 was due the same day as #2 so I ran out and lit it up. I sent my guess in only 1/3 of the way in but now I am regretting the decision as I get into the half way point. More cedar and leather than at first which leads me to a completely different guess.  Oh well, one thing I learned in school was never to change your guess if that’s even possible. Hell, at this point I’m just happy if Lisa counts my guess since it was due 2 days ago!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Head83 said:

I just realized #3 was due the same day as #2 so I ran out and lit it up. I sent my guess in only 1/3 of the way in but now I am regretting the decision as I get into the half way point. More cedar and leather than at first which leads me to a completely different guess.  Oh well, one thing I learned in school was never to change your guess if that’s even possible. Hell, at this point I’m just happy if Lisa counts my guess since it was due 2 days ago!!!

Dang, I forgot to email my guess! Just did it now thanks to your reminder. Hopefully not too late too.

10 minutes ago, MigsG said:

Dang, I forgot to email my guess! Just did it now thanks to your reminder. Hopefully not too late too.

Yeah I thought I had at least another 2 weeks!

Just now, Head83 said:

Yeah I thought I had at least another 2 weeks!

I thought we had till the 31st! ?

35 minutes ago, MigsG said:

I thought we had till the 31st! ?

I have a feeling there were a few in the same boat. I think the reveal should have been done by now but maybe delayed to accomodate a few stragglers lol 

More fun if everyone gets their guesses in so I'm fine to accomodate a delay 

I did smoke this well before the cut-off, just adding my review;

light colored wrapper, box pressed, triple cap required a close inspection to verify (thought it was a double cap initially)
Aroma is *very* light baking spices
Pre-light draw is caramel sweetness
1. Pepper on the tip of the tongue, Cuban twang immediately, citrus, salted popcorn, spice on the tongue (different from earlier noted pepper), retrohale is char and wood (but not charred wood)
2. Ash is grey and whiteish, not the best I've seen but it holds on fine despite being loosely packed. A bit of sourness is coming through, but nothing in the "bitter" realm according to my palate. Spices abound, as well as wood (minus the char through most of this third).
3. Getting more citrus here, though I did just pour a beer that is influencing (Maui Brewing Pineapple Mana Wheat). Not really getting that much from the final third that is different but am enjoying the cigar.

20190924_164057.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...