Cigars Assigned to Personal Goals

Over the past few years, I've ended up with a few cigars that for one reason or another, I thought should be saved for a special occasion.  Maybe they are rare, aged, expensive, or all of the above.  The problem with this, of course, is deciding if a particular occasion warrants one of these cigars - I've already decided they are special after all.  So at the start of the year, I decided to designate some of these cigars to achieving some personal goals.  I was already trying to achieve these regardless, but setting a special cigar aside for when I manage these gives some further motivation.  And none of these goals are particularly easy.

For me, my list looks like this:

Flying Trapeze:

• Double Tuck In Lines Catch - 15 La Gloria Cubana Revolution 
  • Double Tuck Out of Lines - 07 Cohiba Robusto
  • Double Tuck Out of Lines Catch - 07 Cohiba Siglo VI
  • Double Layout In Lines Catch - 17 Cohiba Talisman
  • Double Layout Out of Lines - 14 Diplomaticos Bushido
  • Double Layout Out of Lines Catch - 08 Hoyo De Monterrey Le Hoyo des Dieux

Juggling:

• 100 Catches of 7 Balls - 09 Ramon Allones Celestiales Finos

I don't know if I will achieve all of these.  When I started flying trapeze two years ago, the double layout was my dream trick, and realistically I won't make this one which is why I have assigned the out of lines catch for this trick the most sentimental cigar from my collection - my very last des Dieux, from the very first box of Cuban cigars I ever purchased.  But as for the other goals, they are definitely within the realm of possibility.  I'm heading to Bryon Bay for a trapeze intensive this weekend, and I'm taking that Cohiba Robusto with me.

Does anybody do anything similar to this?  If so, what are your goals and the cigars allocated for these?

• Like 4

I have accumulated a few ones that are outside my normal budget, are limited production (which inevitably also makes them outside my normal budget) or are discontinued that I’m saving for either goals or milestones. Most are as of yet undesignated but I have a few that I’ve decided on for specific events.

Im currently applying to doctoral programs and if I get into my top school, I’m going to celebrate with a 2003 Des Dieux. Otherwise I’ll save it to smoke when I finish my undergrad. I’ve never had one, so it will be a big treat and something to look forward to as I desperately try to squeeze in time for applications between school and work.

A close friend and fellow member @daleighan gifted me a Talisman for my 28th birthday in March, and I’m saving it to smoke on my 30th. Feel like it may be better with a few years on it, and that at least gives me a set time frame to shoot for haha. That will likely be the most expensive cigar I have ever smoked as well, so something big for the end of my 20’s.

I've done that with both CC and Non-CC. Now I do it for birthdays and just because. Certain goals, Ive got some mentally aside for but I keep it to a minimum. Goals nearby not years away. I could be dead by then.

As much as I've wanted to put cigars aside for "investing", most I know I will never sell. I also know from this forum and from day to day, that life is too damn short. So as of this year, when I go in my humidors, I stop myself from thinking that and smoke what I actually want to smoke. 

(Siri... play Drake "in My feelings") Dont mean to be a Debbie Downer.

As a general rule I have tried to avoid this. However, I have somehow managed to be in a position where I have earmarked an aged Monte Especial for when I achieve promotion (to the next level in my hobby as a football referee). I am unsure how/when this happened!

I think ahead quite a bit w cigars and, less so, wine. Goals, big sporting events...and now birthdays with my new little son in the mix. 

Coming up I have Yankees ALDS, my son’s first birthday in early December, Christmas Eve/Day, and running a marathon in February while pushing my little buddy in his stroller. 

Still thinking about Friday night’s ALDS cigar, have some time on the others. 

• Like 1

"The daring young man on the Flying Trapeze,

His movements are graceful,all the girls he does please,

and my love he has purloined away."

and then the rope broke............?

6 hours ago, MrGlass said:

Over the past few years, I've ended up with a few cigars that for one reason or another, I thought should be saved for a special occasion.  Maybe they are rare, aged, expensive, or all of the above.  The problem with this, of course, is deciding if a particular occasion warrants one of these cigars - I've already decided they are special after all.  So at the start of the year, I decided to designate some of these cigars to achieving some personal goals.  I was already trying to achieve these regardless, but setting a special cigar aside for when I manage these gives some further motivation.  And none of these goals are particularly easy.

Flying Trapeze:

Juggling:

I don't know if I will achieve all of these.  When I started flying trapeze two years ago, the double layout was my dream trick, and realistically I won't make this one which is why I have assigned the out of lines catch for this trick the most sentimental cigar from my collection - my very last des Dieux, from the very first box of Cuban cigars I ever purchased.  But as for the other goals, they are definitely within the realm of possibility.  I'm heading to Bryon Bay for a trapeze intensive this weekend, and I'm taking that Cohiba Robusto with me.

Does anybody do anything similar to this?  If so, what are your goals and the cigars allocated for these?

Surely the thing everyone actually wants to see, is you lighting a Monte 80th with a single cigar match..............the match however, needs to be gathered from the opposite podium.......and struck with your toes.......................over a swimming pool of petrol 50ft beneath.          Now thats entertainment

I always deserve a good cigar. Sometimes I take the time to smoke one! I seem to smoke less these days, but I always look for a good one, if that is even an achievable goal, telling a cigar is good by looking at it.

I don't look at smoking a particular cigar as an achievement. I cannot say I ever have.

An achievement is getting my fat ass off the floor if I dig around the bottom shelf of a humidor.... 

-the Pig

• Like 1

I admire your goal setting with rewarding yourself with cigars. With young kids..I reward myself anytime I have open time and I'm not working or on dad duty. It's much to difficult to place specific goals for me these days to what I'll smoke. It used to be I'd reach some business goal and then fire one up but that isn't the case anymore. I see an opening and I just take it if I can. I'm more in tune with how long I think they will nap to the size of the cigar I'll smoke. If not it goes into my glass tubes the extra cigar which I prefer not to do.

I picked up a box of Sir Winston's last year in Havana.  Decided that I'll smoke only 1 per year on my birthday.  That will last me to my 75th birthday should I last that long.  Otherwise my son can pass those out or continue the tradition.  FWIW, the first one this year was a little rough.  Will be fun to see how they progress.  

I also have a box of 898's to smoke on NYE.

And Lusi's for my anniversary (I may have extras.) 

• Like 1

Just now, 99call said:

Picture of Ray, firing up the forklift, to access his collection. 

erskine_murray_warehouse.jpg

... way to clean for anything under my control. Just ask Lady Piggy!

Reminds me of an anecdote.

A buddy and I used to smoke cigars in the stacks at Powell library (UCLA) back in the day. We would hide out in a dark corner and light up cheap dutch cigars. If we heard anyone coming we would just put it up on a stack and come back and retrieve it later. Mo (my buddy) almost always with a brown bag over a bottle of Lucky or similar swill beer...

Probably some of my half burnouts still resting on shelves in that library!!! -LOL

-the Pig

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MrGlass said:

Flying Trapeze:

Juggling:

My list is similar...

Walking:

• Walking 100 yards without tripping on my own feet:  Cohiba Robusto
  • Walking from one end of the house to the other without bumping into a wall: Lusitania
  • Walking upstairs without stubbing my toe on one of the stairs:  Esplendido
  • Walking in a straight line for 25 ft or more: Partagas 898
  • Walking while carrying sheet pan from oven to table without dropping food:  Cohiba Corona Especiale

Eating:

• Eating spaghetti without causing more than 10 drops of marinara sauce splattering on my shirt: RA Giagantes
  • Eating Cheerios with no more than one dozen Cheerios falling on the floor:  VR Don Alejandro

• Haha 3

I dont have a lot of these (maybe because I don't set too many goals in life) but I do have a 2014 box of Punch DCs from my sons birth month that I am saving for when he turns 18 and can smoke one with me...and I do have some Cohiba Robusto Supremo 2014 as well for the same purpose but I have been tempted to light those sooner since I am not too sold on the way EL wrappers age...

*Mine are special occasions when a particular movie or mixed martial arts sports event comes on. And I gravitate between premium NC's and CC's for the events.

38 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Brilliant thread

At dinner with Di having a laugh ?

Two ways to read that my friend...

1) You're laughing whilst eating dinner with Di

2) Di's laughing whilst having dinner with you

Surely it's the first one...surely? ?

Haven't assigned particular cigars though I generally will pull out something on the more special side when a goal is achieved or momentous occasion comes along.

Just closed on a deal with NYSE this week so plan to pull out something special tomorrow night!

I guess there is that box of Monte A's from which I partake each New Year's Eve to celebrate making another one....

Staring down the barrel of the mrs giving birth this week. Have the whiskey picked out, hard part is finding the cigar. 

4 hours ago, Duxnutz said:

Staring down the barrel of the mrs giving birth this week. Have the whiskey picked out, hard part is finding the cigar. 

One of your best brother. No time like the present and birth of a child!

• Like 1

I have a thing for special occasion cigars. Big fan.

had a davidoff no 1 last May to celebrate my daughters graduation. Paired with blantons...absolutely fantastic. I have another Davi no 1 for my sons graduation. I’ve had two Davi 1’s so far and both cigars have been top 5 if not best I’ve had. Both have had excellent draws (my greatest fear w laguito 1’s)...Long skinnies with aged complex perfection.

i had a partagas 155th anniversario salomones at my own last graduation about 14 yrs ago. I don’t remember shit about it...drinking beer and talking with folks too much. I remember thinking time and again this is a damn good cigar, but still too many distractions.

I think I’ve learned my lesson. If it’s a special occasion cigar only smoke when I have the time to really enjoy it. Otherwise do it later when you have time to contemplate (i smoked the Davi with my brother the day after my daughters graduation). I ended up finishing the bottle of blantons and a few vieux carre’s and transformed into a wonderful deconstructed but still self contained and stained piece of gorgeous humanity. I did a lot of trapeze acts but they were all in the fifth dimension.

Edit to say..I consider my kids graduation a personal goal...didn’t mean to derail the the topic.

also, when doing the flying trapeze...has anyone ever farted on you? That would totally break my concentration. Asking for a friend.

• Like 1