Any Woodworkers on the forum make your own cigar cabinet?

I am about to fill my first Coolidor. As I think about how to store my increasing collection I am starting to think about making a large storage cabinet instead of using my other cooler that I actually periodically use as a cooler.

As background one of my other hobbies is woodworking. I have what amounts to a decent collection of hand and power tools that could double as a one man pro shop. Like cigars, I have also collected a large assortment of local rough cut to my region (walnut, maple, cherry etc). No Spanish cedar though. Unless Spanish cedar is a requirement I could easily make something from the 2,000 odd bf of rough lumber I have on hand.  

I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has built their own cigar cabinet?  

I’m looking mostly for construction and materials tips, as well as how you achieved a good seal for humidity control while having good access to your stock?

the cabinet I would build would go into a basement closet so this would be much more of a function over looks exercise. 

So, has anyone made your own cigar cabinet?

There's building your own and repurposing of course. if function (and cost) are your sole concerns, the tupperdor route is hard to pass over. If your going to go through all the effort to build a wood cabinet, visual appeal would be just as important for me. I've long admired @BuzzArd icebox humidor.

• Like 3

I have a 36x36 kitchen base cabinet lined with Spanish cedar veneer that I use myself.  The bottom 4 shelves easily hold 50 boxes and the top drawer will handle 100 singles.  I've done two curio cabinets for others mainly because of my abundance of Spanish cedar veneer.  These units were easy to seal using ready to glue on drawer sealer but alas, I live in an area that is usually too humid and about ready to throw in the towel on machines and work only with the beads.  My basement stays pretty constant at 65 degrees and 70% humidity except for a couple of winter months when I turn on the Le Veil due to lower humidity.  I await winter to see if I can finally dry things out better.

On 10/3/2019 at 3:42 PM, Rhinoww said:

I am about to fill my first Coolidor. As I think about how to store my increasing collection I am starting to think about making a large storage cabinet instead of using my other cooler that I actually periodically use as a cooler.

As background one of my other hobbies is woodworking. I have what amounts to a decent collection of hand and power tools that could double as a one man pro shop. Like cigars, I have also collected a large assortment of local rough cut to my region (walnut, maple, cherry etc). No Spanish cedar though. Unless Spanish cedar is a requirement I could easily make something from the 2,000 odd bf of rough lumber I have on hand.  

I’m wondering if anyone on this forum has built their own cigar cabinet?  

I’m looking mostly for construction and materials tips, as well as how you achieved a good seal for humidity control while having good access to your stock?

the cabinet I would build would go into a basement closet so this would be much more of a function over looks exercise. 

So, has anyone made your own cigar cabinet?

I admire your wanting to build a nice piece of furniture.  However, you'll play hell trying to keep it from warping and leaking if you go solid wood.

Even my Aristocrat is built out of MDF for stability.

I have a built in wardrobe space going spare and the wife has said I can convert it to a humidor.  Up to now my best idea is using shower boards (mermaid boards).  They are water tight, lock together really well and come in a million finishes.  Put a glass door on with a good seal (Im thinking fire door) and your done! 

Typical house humidity where I live runs between 50-55% without electrical help so a closet with a goal of 65% is not an unreasonable stretch.  I also have a large 160 IGLOO with unopened boxes purchased in the past year and it's nearly full.  Boxes are still gassing as 2 different meters measure 67% without assistance.  Many boxes come cellophane sealed with Boveda 69% included and I cut all of those out.

On 10/12/2019 at 5:58 PM, joey rockets said:

Typical house humidity where I live runs between 50-55% without electrical help so a closet with a goal of 65% is not an unreasonable stretch.  I also have a large 160 IGLOO with unopened boxes purchased in the past year and it's nearly full.  Boxes are still gassing as 2 different meters measure 67% without assistance.  Many boxes come cellophane sealed with Boveda 69% included and I cut all of those out.

Pretty much my current situation. Was thinking about making some built in space for boxes. Sounds like the igloos are easier to acquire and store etc. 

i am still grimy sea legs as it were but since I moved my Coolidor to the basement and have two humidors upstairs for singles I only find myself going to dig into the open boxes in the Coolidor once or twice a month. It ain’t broke so I don’t think I’m going to fix it

1 hour ago, Rhinoww said:

Pretty much my current situation. Was thinking about making some built in space for boxes. Sounds like the igloos are easier to acquire and store etc. 

i am still grimy sea legs as it were but since I moved my Coolidor to the basement and have two humidors upstairs for singles I only find myself going to dig into the open boxes in the Coolidor once or twice a month. It ain’t broke so I don’t think I’m going to fix it

I like the Coolidor as it's reserved for full boxes only and too many recent purchases need long timeouts.   The oak kitchen base has over 40 opened boxes and probably over 100 singles so no reason to dig around in the Coolidor that often, lately just with new additions.  Now I've grown keen on a much drier cigar and electronics are out the window.