2019 MLB Playoffs

The LA Dodgers not only have to make the World series this year, they have to win it. If you could be a 'fly-on-the-wall' in their organisation, behind closed doors and in their critical decision-making administration offices with the people that matter, I'd say the talk right now is that failure is not an option. If the Dodgers win the NLCS and make the World Series, I'd back them this time to get there.

However, having said this, my goodness...how does ones look past the Astros? They simply have an incredible roster don't they?

I think it will end up being LA and Houston in the WS. I’d like to see LA win it all, but I won’t be surprised if Houston wins it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And who saw today's events coming? A 10-run first inning by the St Louis Cardinals and a come-from-behind rally topped off by a Howie Kendrick grand slam to see the Nationals in the National League Championship Series for the first time since 1981 (when they were the Montreal Expos, of course).

Great baseball today. Bring on Houston and Tampa Bay tomorrow. How can Gerrit Cole be beaten at home?

Kelly pitched one brilliant (ninth) inning for the Dodgers, so they decided to bring him back out for the next (tenth) inning.     Walks the leadoff man.   Gives up double to Rendon.   Intentional walk to next hitter.    Then the Kendrick grand slam.    Oops.

Game 3 of the NLCS is now become the definition of a must-win game for the Cardinals. Winning 4 out of 5 games is difficult enough, but if it goes to 3-0 down I only recall the Red Sox doing that to the Yankees in the ALCS in 2004. And off the top of my head, the Cardinals turning their hitting around and winning 4 straight after being 2-nil down would emulate the Yankees doing that to the Braves in the '96 World Series. Yes, the Nationals have pitched well in the first two games.

On 10/21/2019 at 6:06 AM, JohnS said:

Did anyone foresee a Houston Astros vs. Washington Nationals World Series in 2019? I hope it's a great series, like the seven-game classics we had in 2016 and 2017.

Nationals, no way. NL-wise, I thought LA would possibly go a step further this year and win it all. AL-wise, Astros were always going to be a good chance to make it. That starting pitching is crazy good. And their offence and defence is as good as anyone's. As a Boston fan, I've already had my victory by watching them bundle the Yanks out. In heartbreaking fashion, too. A wee bonus!  :party:

Interesting that the Nats shed Harper and make it to the big show the first year without him! 

Rooting for the Astros. Although I've always been a big fan of Max Scherzer. And that young Soto is something very special. 

Should be a great series! Hope it goes to 7 games. 

• Like 1

World Series Game 1: Washington Nationals 5 Houston Astros 4 (Washington leads the 2019 World Series 1-0)

Juan Soto hit 3 RBIs, George Springer broke a consecutive home run record (in World Series games) held jointly by Reggie Jackson and Lou Gehrig, Gerrit Cole conceded 5 earned runs for the first time since May and the Washington Nationals bullpen prevented a Houston comeback. Welcome to the delightful anomalies that Postseason Baseball serves up.(I) Can't wait for Game two!

P.S. I forgot to mention that Houston left 11 baserunners on base, the most in a one-run loss in a World Series game since 1981, so it's not like Houston didn't have their chances.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, JohnS said:

World Series Game 1: Washington Nationals 5 Houston Astros 4 (Washington leads the 2019 World Series 1-0)

Juan Soto hit 3 RBIs, George Springer broke a consecutive home run record (in World Series games) held jointly by Reggie Jackson and Lou Gehrig, Gerrit Cole conceded 5 earned runs for the first time since May and the Washington Nationals bullpen prevented a Houston comeback. Welcome to the delightful anomalies that Postseason Baseball serves up.(I) Can't wait for Game two!

P.S. I forgot to mention that Houston left 11 baserunners on base, the most in a one-run loss in a World Series game since 1981, so it's not like Houston didn't have their chances.

Juan Soto, baby! Springer incredible. I'm a bit surprised at Bregman's poor showing. If he starts to fire they're basically unstoppable. 

Astros lost the first to the Yanks, too. I still see them winning the series. But you never know!... 

• Like 1

World Series Game 2: Washington Nationals 12 Houston Astros 3 (Washington leads the 2019 World Series 2-0)

Who would have thought Kurt Suzuki would hit a home run off Justin Verlander to break open this game? The Nationals ended up with 6 runs in the 7th to take an unassailable lead in the game. Just don't mention the intentional walk!

World Series Game 3: Houston Astros 4 Washington Nationals 1 (Washington leads the 2019 World Series 2-1)

I thought Anibel Sanchez pitched okay but today it was Washington's turn to strand runners in scoring position. Michael Brantley hit a pair of RBI singles and Robinson Chirinos hit a home run to spoil Juan Soto's 21st birthday. In strictly mathematical terms, Washington's 8 win postseason streak had to end, as did their last 20 game run of 18 wins and 2 losses. Now Game 4 is most critical, because history suggests that a Washington win will favour them greatly to win the Series this year, whereas another Houston comeback will even up their chances.

World Series Game 4: Houston Astros 8 Washington Nationals 1 (2019 World Series tied 2-2)

Jose Urquidy pitched magnificently for 5 innings, Alex Bregman hit a grand slam and Houston kept Washington to 4 hits in total for a comprehensive 8-1 win. The series in now tied 2-all, which means the rest of the series is a best-of-three match-up.

With this victory by the Houston, my personal view is that the series is evenly matched 50-50 because Game 5 will see Gerrit Cole take on Max Scherzer and Game 6 will see Justin Verlander take on Steven Strasburg. Houston have been excellent in the nation's capital but don't discount a Washington resurgence with Max Scherzer on the mound. On the other hand, Gerrit Cole will be determined to have another quality start in Game 5. His 5 runs allowed was the first time he allowed so many runs in Game 1 since May. He has been exceptional in-between.

2 hours ago, gkallos said:

Oooof was I way off regarding Game 4...

Don't be too hard on yourself. I think you'd need the wisdom of Solomon to predict what Jose Urquidy did for Houston. That set up the win.

Haha thanks. With Scherzer out for game 5 and Cole on the mound it’s looking like a heavy lift for the Nats. Shame, I’m rooting hard for them. 1 because they haven’t won before and 2 the astros knocked out my Yankees.

World Series Game 5: Houston Astros 7 Washington Nationals 1 (Houston Astros lead the 2019 World Series 3-2)

Gerrit Cole struck out nine batters over seven innings and the Astros hit three homers (including that man that continues to do it in the postseason, George Springer) to win Game 5 and take a 3-2 series lead. Max Scherzer was a late non-starter due to neck spasms. In the last three games Houston have been totally dominant in all statistical areas to win all three games on the road by a margin of 19 runs to 3 to emulate the 1996 Yankees in losing their first two games at home and win the next three away.

World Series Game 6: Washington Nationals 7 Houston Astros 2 (2019 World Series tied 3-3)

Washington re-ignited their hitting to force a Game 7 decider. Stephen Strasburg recovered from allowing 2 runs in the first inning to pitch into the 9th and take the win. Anthony Rendon homered and batted-in 5 runs, Juan Soto also homered.

No 7-game series has ever had the first 6 games won by the road team before. Across all American professional sports (NHL, MLB, NBA) this is a first. Tomorrow's Game 7 is now a 50-50 each-way bet.

• Like 1