Seems like a counterfeit box of RyJ to me? What do you all think?

Rhinoww

So maybe 2012 we went to the Dominican Republic for vacation. Well in advance of learning where and how to properly acquire CC I picked up a box of RyJ Torpedoes at the beach. I figured they were less likely to be counterfeit than the Montes and they looked well made. Who cares really, I was on vacation and wanted a few cigars  

I was rooting around looking for a bottle of wine tonight and came across the box. Does not have a lot of the characteristics of a genuine Habanos like a date code and the box looks a bit off to my eye although I don’t have any RyJ in my collection. No bar code but not sure when that came into use. 

I tried to input the number into the verification tool but came up w errors. 

They smoked OK but nothing remarkable. A decent smoke. Likely Dominican I guess. 

What do you all think from the box?  Legit/genuine RyJ or more likely not?

Im curious to hear what this esteemed group thinks. 

37684C6C-1D59-4897-B482-57646153DF71.jpeg

D1F3BEB3-6B47-4CF1-A0F7-50BF94A40017.jpeg

722FE4BB-895B-4FCD-8254-E03D0DC50191.jpeg

E822478C-3496-4151-9B98-6431CB7634C8.jpeg

1 hour ago, Rhinoww said:

I don’t have any RyJ in my collection

You still don't.

Those things aren't quite as bad as glass-top Cohiba but not far behind.

FYI, don't ever buy cigars in the DR. There is a close to zero chance of getting the real CCs anywhere there. They have a huge domestic market and work hard to move their own product. I don't believe there are any sanctioned Habanos retailers there nor would the Dominicans want any.

Even their cheap cigars can look very good and they use that to their advantage in scamming unsuspecting buyers. I'm sure they also get a kick out of having people think CCs suck after smoking their fakes.

2 hours ago, Rhinoww said:

So maybe 2012 we went to the Dominican Republic for vacation. Well in advance of learning where and how to properly acquire CC I picked up a box of RyJ Torpedoes at the beach...  

Gonna stop reading right there...

By the way, that’s a box of non-Cuban R&J. So technically, they’re the genuine R&J. But made with non-Cuban tobacco.  Some enterprising young buck applied the Habanos stamps and DOP label. 

After looking them up, even the DR version isn’t exactly cheap. Maybe they’re knock offs of the DR version?  Now my head  is spinning. A knock off of a knock off...

Like others said, there is no official RyJ Piramides (used to be in the market in the past, but discontinued in 2003) other than Belicosos, HSA Selección Pirámides, Anejados if I am not mistaken. Also, the RyJ font on this box looks like non Cuban RyJ (thicker than CC RyJ) rather than CC RyJ. Besides, HSA stamp on bottom of this box looks fishy and bad (no factory and date code at all), tax stamp is misplaced that are the signs of fake CCs.

Here goes the picture of RyJ Piramides from good ole CCW. 

797193188_RyJPyramid.png.f5cc4c15e8701b1637a5410ca92b8bc4.png

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄