Best Cigar Scissors Question

When I asked about "Colibri V-Cut vs XIKAR VX2", "XIKAR Xi1 vs XO", our folks recommended cigar scissors too. So, I wonder what are the best cigar scissors that can cut both thin (38 and below 38RG) and thick cigars (60RG at least), have excellent cutting performance (surgical grade blades)?

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

Let me see which ones we carry, they are cheap cheap like less than $4 or something, they have an extra hole for Lanceros.......I'll report back. I believe they are on Amazon as well.......just give me some time to find the info.

Well that didn't take long, here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/Credo-Special-Blade-Cigar-Cutter/dp/B07VZW7Q29/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=credo+cigar+scissors&psc=1&qid=1570646948&sr=8-3

• Thanks 1

Over the years I’ve found that scissors get dull and cannot be sharpened. I’ve tried all price points. The more expensive  scissors stay sharp longer but they still get dull over time. I got 2 years out of a pair of Davidoff’s, the best results I had. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Davidoff's are pretty impressive for scissors.  Not leaps ahead of lesser brands, but certainly "better".

Thanks! I found that Davidoff Cigar Scissors gets many positive reviews as the best cigar scissors. The only one con is it is more expensive than great guillotine cutters like Lotus Jaws Serrated Cutter.

8 hours ago, irratebass said:

Let me see which ones we carry, they are cheap cheap like less than $4 or something, they have an extra hole for Lanceros.......I'll report back. I believe they are on Amazon as well.......just give me some time to find the info.

Well that didn't take long, here ya go:

https://www.amazon.com/Credo-Special-Blade-Cigar-Cutter/dp/B07VZW7Q29/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=credo+cigar+scissors&psc=1&qid=1570646948&sr=8-3

Thanks, but too bad that the seller doesn't ship that cutter to my country... ?

49 minutes ago, JY0 said:

Over the years I’ve found that scissors get dull and cannot be sharpened. I’ve tried all price points. The more expensive  scissors stay sharp longer but they still get dull over time. I got 2 years out of a pair of Davidoff’s, the best results I had. 

Yeah, I also saw the cigar scissors cannot be self sharpened which is the con for cigar scissors from articles of pros and cons for each cigar cutter type. I'm really surprised that even expensive cigar scissors are prone to get dull ?! I'll just buy Lotus Jaws Serrated Cutter (it is cheap, highly rated, can be shipped to my country which is +1 for me) instead for straight cut experience ?...

1 hour ago, irratebass said:
Sorry about that, yeah I love my Lotus

Yeah, it is more expensive than Lotus Jaws Serrated Cigar Cutter too. So I'm going to get Lotus Jaws Serrated Cutter instead of spending pricey Credo Cigar Scissors which cannot be shipped to my country.

17 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Davidoff's are pretty impressive for scissors.

I've had the exact opposite experience with Davidoff scissors.  As the cutting blade is 3-4mm thick I find it's pretty clumsy as cutting through cigars, giving lots of resistance, even when sharp. They look nice, but thats about it for me. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 99call said:

I've had the exact opposite experience with Davidoff scissors.  As the cutting blade is 3-4mm thick I find it's pretty clumsy as cutting through cigars, giving lots of resistance, even when sharp. They look nice, but thats about it for me. 

Thank you for providing earnest and honest experience with Davidoff Cigar Scissors! Surprised to hear that you aren't satisfied with blade of Davidoff Cigar Scissors ?! This really makes me decide to get Lotus Jaws Serrated Cutter for my personal peace...

10 minutes ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Thank you for providing earnest and honest experience with Davidoff Cigar Scissors! Surprised to hear that you aren't satisfied with blade of Davidoff Cigar Scissors ?! This really makes me decide to get Lotus Jaws Serrated Cutter for my personal peace...

Personally I feel no need to pay for cigar cutters, for me there is nothing wrong with the free ones cigar shops give you.  If it's good enough for Simon Chase, then it's good enough for me. Ha!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, 99call said:

Personally I feel no need to pay for cigar cutters, for me there is nothing wrong with the free ones cigar shops give you.  If it's good enough for Simon Chase, then it's good enough for me. Ha!

FOH members recommended me to get Colibri V-Cut and Lotus Jaws Serrated Cutter (pure_lunatic, irratebass) when XIKAR suddenly gone downhills in this year. I agree that super expensive cigar accessories aren't always necessarily better in cigar world (e.g. Elie Bleu Humidor vs Coleman 150Qt Marine Xtreme 6 Cooler)!

For Colibri V-Cut and Lotus Jaws Serrated Cutter, I found that they are one of the super reliable, great cigar cutters including FOH by the way (reason why I purchased Colibri V-Cut, will get Lotus soon). ?

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, 99call said:

I've had the exact opposite experience with Davidoff scissors.

I have only used the Davidoff ones a few times.  A friend of mine has the gold ones, but she's hardly ever used them.  Those scissors got me to buy a cheap one from JR or the like and I have been happy with them.  They have to wiped off with acetone a couple of times a year, but have stayed sharp.   I can't imagine the scissors I bought cost more than $20

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BrightonCorgi said:
I have only used the Davidoff ones a few times.  A friend of mine has the gold ones, but she's hardly ever used them.  Those scissors got me to buy a cheap one from JR or the like and I have been happy with them.  They have to wiped off with acetone a couple of times a year, but have stayed sharp.   I can't imagine the scissors I bought cost more than $20

What a huge treat! I've never seen Davidoff Cigar Scissors being sold $20 except knock off ones! Thank you for telling useful info!

5 minutes ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

What a huge treat! I've never seen Davidoff Cigar Scissors being sold $20 except knock off ones! Thank you for telling useful info!

I did not buy Davidoff scissors, just cheap no name scissors that I am quite happy with. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 99call said:

That's the main issue I am having with scissors (and also with some cutters). The thicker the blades the higher is the lateral offset during the cutting move.

1 hour ago, 99call said:

Absolutely this! - while lighters can be sort of a 'fetish for me' :D, cutter is not! Just about function. Most cheapos beat the expensive ones in their performance due to their usually thinner blade. And a regular replacement does way more for the cut, than shelling out serious dosh for a so-called "quality" one, which you keep (unserviced) for years. It's an expendable really.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Fugu said:
2 hours ago, 99call said:

That's the main issue I am having with scissors (and also with some cutters). The thicker the blades the higher is the lateral offset during the cutting move.

2 hours ago, 99call said:

Absolutely this! - while lighters can be sort of a 'fetish for me' :D, cutter is not! Just about function. Most cheapos beat the expensive ones in their performance due to their usually thinner blade. And a regular replacement does way more for the cut, than shelling out serious dosh for a so-called "quality" one, which you keep (unserviced) for years. It's an expendable really.

Much agreed! Luxurious torch lighters like S.T. Dupont Defi Extreme can be cherished (still love FOH Torch). However, for cigar cutters, I'd rather get reliable and excellent ones such as Colibri V-Cut, Lotus Jaws Serrated Cigar Cutter than pricey non functional gimmicky cigar cutters.

13 hours ago, JY0 said:

You try touching up the blades with an Arkansas stone?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Most cheapos beat the expensive ones in their performance due to their usually thinner blade. And a regular replacement does way more for the cut, than shelling out serious dosh for a so-called "quality" one, which you keep (unserviced) for years. It's an expendable really.

That's why I am fine with the cheap stainless scissors I bought.  I can't go too aggressive when cutting, but it comes out super clean.  I normally wet the head of the cigar before cutting unless I am sure it's not going to crack.  I normally cut cigars over the kitchen sink.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

That's why I am fine with the cheap stainless scissors I bought.  I can't go too aggressive when cutting, but it comes out super clean.  I normally wet the head of the cigar before cutting unless I am sure it's not going to crack.  I normally cut cigars over the kitchen sink.

?????

Xikar MTX scissors are great. Priced well and lifetime warranty too! Plus they fold up so you can carry them safely in a pocket.   There are tools for bleeding and adjusting the flame on a lighter built into the handles.  Just don't try to use the "bottle opener" feature or you'll definitely be filing a warrant claim. 

The Lotus Jaws is a great cutter, both straight and v cut versions.   I personally can't stand v cutters and think the colibri v cuts too deep.  

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, 5thStarChicago said:

Xikar MTX scissors are great. Priced well and lifetime warranty too! Plus they fold up so you can carry them safely in a pocket.   There are tools for bleeding and adjusting the flame on a lighter built into the handles.  Just don't try to use the "bottle opener" feature or you'll definitely be filing a warrant claim. 

The Lotus Jaws is a great cutter, both straight and v cut versions.   I personally can't stand v cutters and think the colibri v cuts too deep.  

Thanks! I agree that XIKAR MTX scissors are one of go to recommended Cigar Scissors (same goes on Lotus Jaws Straight and V-Cut cutters)! However, I saw the post about XIKAR QC and Warranty went downhill after being acquired by the Quality Importers, which caused me to be skeptical about XIKAR products (has Executive II, still works well though). Is XIKAR now managed to restore its former glory?? If yes, I'll definitely look into it!!