Do you smoke different vitolas differently?

I mean, outside of the obvious - the size of the cigar. I pretty much never smoke Churchills because I can't carve out the amount of time to really enjoy it (not to mention Winter weather already impacting my smoking habits), but coming in with mostly NC experience, most of the cigars I smoked have been robusto or toro's. With CC there are a lot of really nice, smaller cigars. Petit robusto, petit corona, all kinds of stuff. 

Anyway, I feel like the last several petit coronas I've smoked started great but got really harsh at around the halfway point. Unsmokeably harsh at the last third. Maybe that's the "mongrel" I hear people talk about, but that last third isn't mongrel, it's like, a back of wild hyenas chasing young Simba. 

So do you puff slower with some vitolas than others? Do you light or draw any differently? Are petit coronas more susceptible to turning harsh because of their smaller size? Just trying to figure out where my experience puts me compared to others. Have tried various marcas, drybox, no drybox, most of the petit coronas just ended up rough. 

In general you don't change your "pull" with each draw.  This is why the smaller the ring gauge the stronger a cigar can feel.  The same amount of air traveling through a petit corona vs robusto will "heat up" the petit corona more since a higher velocity of air is required to move through a smaller opening.  There's more technically sound ways to describe this if you google the Venturi Effect.  So yes, the last third of smaller cigars will naturally be hotter.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jonboy4074 said:

I smoke everything as slowly as I possibly can and the cigar not go out. Cooler is always better no matter the vitola.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Same here I smoke every cigar as slow as I can without it going out.

• Like 3

Whatever the size, a good draw is the best draw. I like when it gives off a moderate to moderate plus amount of smoke for the effort I am putting into the draw. That way it doesn’t make me do a triple putf just to get smoke out of it. Poorly rolled cigars just ruin everything. 

I admit, when the cigar gets as skinny as a LGC MdO 4, I end up puffing on it so hard because i just feel like it should go down like a cigarette. Not at all the case though. 

• Like 1

I see how each cigar responds to my normal draw pattern.  If I'm not getting what I want with my rhythm, I alter to meet the needs of the cigar. Some come around and some are almost a lost cause. Try to enjoy it and not over think it. Here, the weather is getting cooler and burns can get a mind of their own. I want a razor burn but it isnt always in the cards but if I can have a great cigar without that, I will take it. I tend to take a double pull but will follow the cigar where it will take me.

• Like 1