Your go-to cities and towns of the world...

Live?  It'd have to be Rome.  Even though it's a madhouse of traffic there's just so much to take in.  The history, the food, the wines, the architecture, etc, etc.  I speak the language so that makes it easier for me too.  

Vacation? Havana.  I've only done short jaunts (4 - 7 days). Would love to spend 3-4 weeks there at a time.  

• Like 3

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’d probably live in Paris. Always love it there Holiday? Venice or Kyoto!

1, Tokyo 2, Anywhere and everywhere in Japan  

1. Lusanne, Switzerland would be a great place to live.  Really beautiful and great mix of tropic to alpine.  Nice quality of life.

2. Tel Aviv, Israel for a vacation locale (if I had to be away from Cape Cod).  Great beaches, food, good looking people, and cool vibe.  Not to mention all the history which is just a drive away.

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Habana Mike said:

We've had the discussion regarding this is the past. 

Brussels in Europe. Coffee farm on Kailua Kona for the secondary,

I did the Greenwell Farm Tour a couple years back. Was fun to see the process since I haven't traveled to a coffee producing country before. I'm a homeroaster so I got an extra kick out of it. Really nice coffee, albeit crazy expensive due overwhelmingly to marketing. But...when in Kona...

10 hours ago, Islandboy said:

1. Maui. My home by default and birthright. 

2. Hood River Oregon. A laid back place with micro-breweries and wilderness, and close enough to the city charm of Portlandia. 

Too cool. Maui would be on my stay for an extended period for vacation (went in May) and I live about 2hrs south of Hood River. We'll have to organize a house swap :P

• Haha 1

Live:  Boston. (actually a suburb outside Boston) Great place to raise kids and a very manageable city

Visit:  Last vacation was Chamonix in the winter.  I would do that again.  But would love to try many places on the bucket list also

• Like 1

Live in?  Sancreed.  It's hard to base such a decision on one vacation, but this is the internet and you won't hold me to this (though you are utterly welcome to bankroll my move there).

Visit?  Crud - I've been many of the places I wanted to go.  Uppsala, Sweden looks nice or else the village in Poland my great grandparents are from (the name escapes me at the moment).

I turned 40 in 1990, newly divorced but a fairly high commission sales earner.  Approximately this time, I discovered that from where I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, I could purchase a round trip ticket to Schiphol, AMSTERDAM for the same money as the ticket to Las Vegas.  It was game on with me visiting Europe as much as 4 times a year.  I saw a lot of the continent but the end of each trip was always Amsterdam which was the warmest city in Europe.  I got married in 2004 and spent my honeymoon there which was also my last trip to Europe.  I had to show my new wife that A-dam wasn't total depravity.  My younger bride continues to visit the continent.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, bdw1984 said:

Most amazing place on earth for me.  I'm sure I could make it work if i had to live there, but it is definitely isolated.  Last time I was there they'd had a huge mud slide which knocked the bridge out.  Only way in/out was helicopter or hike.  Not the easiest place to live for sure.

If you ever get a chance to stay at the Post Ranch Inn I highly recommend it.

Have you stayed at Post Ranch?? That's probably my #1 bucket list hotel in the world.

On 10/16/2019 at 3:23 AM, Meklown said:

1. London - love the diversity and the weather, though the politics there is a joke

2. Machu Picchu - an extinct city, but would love to have the time/money to visit one day

I have to say, London is a great place to visit, but I've lived their twice, and us Northerners just don't have the right mind set for it, everyones agenda seems writ large on their faces.   I think Alan Partridge captured it brilliantly.     But as I said great place to visit, and to those who love living there....well hats off to them....someone has to HA!

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Have you stayed at Post Ranch?? That's probably my #1 bucket list hotel in the world.

I have stayed at Post Ranch a few times, on the last trip we took a helicopter in and out. Definitely added to the experience! In fact, the pic on my FOH profile was taken on the back deck at the restaurant at Post Ranch enjoying some wine and beer overlooking the marine layer. One of my favorite places on Earth. 

Not sure I would want to live in Big Sur but it makes for a super relaxing vacation. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, bdw1984 said:

Yeah man. It’s out of control. Went there on our honeymoon. 

3 hours ago, El Hoze said:

I have stayed at Post Ranch a few times, on the last trip we took a helicopter in and out. Definitely added to the experience! In fact, the pic on my FOH profile was taken on the back deck at the restaurant at Post Ranch enjoying some wine and beer overlooking the marine layer. One of my favorite places on Earth. 

Not sure I would want to live in Big Sur but it makes for a super relaxing vacation. 

Smoking allowed?

1 hour ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Smoking allowed?

Most of the rooms (if not all) have a fairly private area outdoors to smoke...most with some amazing views. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bdw1984 said:

Never asked, but smoked the whole time I was there.  

1 hour ago, El Hoze said:

Most of the rooms (if not all) have a fairly private area outdoors to smoke...most with some amazing views. 

Those views are the reason I probably wouldn't leave the room. Except maybe to get some falconing in ;)

And yeah... I guess when you're ponying up that kind of cash, you do what you want first, and apologize later (if they gripe, which they probably won't).

On 10/16/2019 at 12:23 PM, Meklown said:

1. London - love the diversity and the weather, though the politics there is a joke

2. Machu Picchu - an extinct city, but would love to have the time/money to visit one day

machu picchu i definitely get and london as well, but for the weather? seriously? you must live somewhere with really horrific weather now. if you asked me to name a thousand reasons to live in london - and there just might be - i would never have ever come up with the weather. 

• Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Tstew75 said:

1. Barcelona (wine/sherry...Jamon Iberico...women)

2. Kauai (with the opportunity to explore the South Pacific)

love barcelona but you are nearly as likely to find sherry in your home town. it is not a sherryphile place. far better off with madrid, another great town, and south. 

On 10/19/2019 at 6:31 AM, Ken Gargett said:

machu picchu i definitely get and london as well, but for the weather? seriously? you must live somewhere with really horrific weather now. if you asked me to name a thousand reasons to live in london - and there just might be - i would never have ever come up with the weather. 

I know how it goes - dark, gloomy, rainy, cold, miserable. I grew up in Singapore but for some reason I hate the heat; anything above 22°c is not my preference.

I love that summer temperatures only last for 2 months in a "good" year in London, and it rarely goes below freezing even in the deepest of winters. I also like the variation in sunset/sunrise timings throughout the year. The rain is also so light that is generally tolerable with a simple hoodie.