Air Scrubber and Air Carbon Filter Setup Question

After I read the post "Air purifier for smoking room in an apartment?" by Nick.Skayuna, I began to search air scrubber and air carbon filter on Amazon. However, choosing good air scrubber and air carbon filter seems bit more complicated than I thought. Can you please guide me the best air scrubber and air carbon filter setup for removing cigar stale smell (will use incense as well)?

So far, I picked some candidates on Amazon for several days:

Air Scrubber

Air Carbon Filter

Aluminium Ducting

Note. I could go with expensive air purifiers like IQAir, Window Vent Fan combo. However, adding window vent fan seems impossible, since I'm living in the apartment (envy for those who live in mansion). Also, IQAir is being sold in more than $2000 in my country (known as rich men's air purifier like CEO of Samsung), so it is out of my option unfortunately...

10 hours ago, fitzy said:
I have the 4”  203cfm unit and I can tell you it’s nowhere near strong enough. Unless the cigar is right up to the intake it doesn’t do anything.

I’m going to get a 6” 440cfm unit.

Thanks buddy! I saw 4" units won't do much job compare to 6" units, and have to agree with that after seeing your post! Can you please tell me the name of your 6" 440 cfm unit and carbon filter?

I'll mention my current setup. As mentioned above I use incense, candles and fans.

That only works in the warm months. Now that it's cold, the smoke is moving upstairs. In the cold months I use air filters taped to box fans. I also have one Ionic Breeze in the lounge and three more on the first floor positioned near air ducts.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I'll mention my current setup. As mentioned above I use incense, candles and fans.

That only works in the warm months. Now that it's cold, the smoke is moving upstairs. In the cold months I use air filters taped to box fans. I also have one Ionic Breeze in the lounge and three more on the first floor positioned near air ducts.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Much appreciated! What is the manufacturer of your Ionic Breeze?

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

480cfm inline fan pulling through a "Can-filter" model #50 in a 5.5x7.5 room/garden and can smoke anything without residual smells.

This is noisy. If you could have the fan mounted in another area or have the fan housed/mounted in a sound dampened box/cabinet you will be fine. I have used the Vivosun but prefer the Can-Filter.....you get what you pay for.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Thanks buddy! I saw 4" units won't do much job compare to 6" units, and have to agree with that after seeing your post! Can you please tell me the name of your 6" 440 cfm unit and carbon filter? I also like to know is it okay to use a fan which is slower than carbon filter (most of air scrubber folks recommend to use unit with faster spec than carbon filter).

I didn't buy the 6" yet but the 4" I have is Vivosun. The one you have the link listed for. 

I'm not sure if the AC Infinity is worth the extra cost over the Vivosun. I'll probably buy the Vivosun. I do have to say though that the 4" is noisier than I thought it would be. Then again I don't have a filter going to it yet. It's just straight open into the intake with an 8" duct coming from the exhaust side.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, fitzy said:

I didn't buy the 6" yet but the 4" I have is Vivosun. The one you have the link listed for. 

I'm not sure if the AC Infinity is worth the extra cost over the Vivosun. I'll probably buy the Vivosun. I do have to say though that the 4" is noisier than I thought it would be. Then again I don't have a filter going to it yet. It's just straight open into the intake with an 8" duct coming from the exhaust side.

Filter isn't going to quiet it down. There are u tube videos on how to quiet them down safely. There is a lot of info out there on how to use these discreetly.

Tornado fans and Can-Filter tried tested and true....out preform others I have tried over the years

• Thanks 1

480cfm inline fan pulling through a "Can-filter" model #50 in a 5.5x7.5 room/garden and can smoke anything without residual smells.
This is noisy. If you could have the fan mounted in another area or have the fan housed/mounted in a sound dampened box/cabinet you will be fine. I have used the Vivosun but prefer the Can-Filter.....you get what you pay for.
You can also add a fan speed controller or buy a fan that has one or it. It will allow you to turn it down if needed
Much appreciated! I didn't know Can-Filter and Tornado Fan at all until I see your post. Will look for them on Amazon tomorrow!

Thanks! I found some users of AC Infinity have lower CFM when it is connected to coal air carbon filter.
Filter isn't going to quiet it down. There are u tube videos on how to quiet them down safely. There is a lot of info out there on how to use these discreetly.
Tornado fans and Can-Filter tried tested and true....out preform others I have tried over the years
Appreciated! Will watch these vids as well!

12 minutes ago, SlimOne said:

Gotcha.

Oh I wonder if an inline duct booster fan would help with the cfm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C82SYZ0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_3qFRDb6A9BZ22

13 minutes ago, fitzy said:

Gotcha.

Oh I wonder if an inline duct booster fan would help with the cfm:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C82SYZ0/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_3qFRDb6A9BZ22

I would be surprised. I tried this myself and then just put in a second fan and filter. I don't want the neighbors complaining of smoke smells coming from out house.

It comes down to the cubic feet of your room and how many times you want that air changed in there. The right size fan and filter are key its always better to go over kill on this and have a speed controller to dial it down if needed....most likely.

its your house and you don't want it to have unpleasant smells.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The canned air carbon filters work well, but the only problem with them is that there does not seem to be an easy way to change out the activated charcoal filler without making a huge mess, and even then if you try, its likely not to be packed properly to get the right performance for the CFM of the extractor fan you are using.

They have come down in price quite a lot, but it is still a lot of metal to scrap each time you change them out. Not sure how often you would need to do this, as I am only familiar with .... umm ... other applications :lookaround: ... through certain people I might kinda know :innocent: 

• Thanks 1

I hope you folks aren't pursuing the laborious route of exhausting filtered air out of the room?  I got the idea with the mention of 25' lengths of flexi-tubing as part of the project.  This tube is entirely unnecessary as well as being a pain placing the exhaust.  You need to buy a carbon filter determined by cubic footage of your room and the proper diameter fan for the filter.  The fan sets on top of the filter and sucks dirty air into the filter and then exhausts clean air back into the room.  This procedure is known as 'air scrubbing' and has been used by the airlines for years.

• Thanks 1

I just decided to go with the setting below. Any opinion?

Air Scrubber

Air Carbon Filter

Aluminium Ducting

Please report back your findings once it’s setup. I’m curious how effective this is. 
I'll definitely report back my setting as soon as I get them from Amazon.

• 3 months later...
On 10/24/2019 at 9:43 AM, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

I'll definitely report back my setting as soon as I get them from Amazon.

Any updates?
Personally, I've considered such setups to be an overkill since an average air purifier (like these) work just fine when dealing with smoke. And I successfully used plenty of them when I was renting/building my home. But your topic got me interested, so I'd like to know the end of the story. 
Just in case, if I missed it - I believe it could happen - would you be so kind to share this post here? 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, komodo said:

Any updates?
Personally, I've considered such setups to be an overkill since an average air filter work just fine when dealing with smoke. And I successfully used plenty of them when I was renting/building my home. But your topic got me interested, so I'd like to know the end of the story. 
Just in case, if I missed it - I believe it could happen - would you be so kind to share this post here? 

Unfortunately, my house owner doesn't allow indoor smoking at all regardless of adding air scrubber. So, I'm not able to do this experiment in my room. Sorry for disappointing conclusion ??.

2 minutes ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

Unfortunately, my house owner doesn't allow indoor smoking at all regardless of adding air scrubber. So, I'm not able to do this experiment in my room. Sorry for disappointing conclusion ??.

That's a twist. 
Though we had a similar situation in the past, and I must admit - their place, their rules.
But the longer you can show a good rental history and reputation, the better. We were able to find a compromise in the end when dealing with our previous "landlord", as my wife is control-freak so we kept everything in perfect condition.  
Sorry for bothering you! 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, komodo said:

That's a twist. 
Though we had a similar situation in the past, and I must admit - their place, their rules.
But the longer you can show a good rental history and reputation, the better. We were able to find a compromise in the end when dealing with our previous "landlord", as my wife is control-freak so we kept everything in perfect condition.  
Sorry for bothering you! 

I wish that my house owner can be negotiated like your experience! However, the owner placed the no smoking tag even on entrance door, which is really unfortunate.

• Sad 1