Air Scrubber and Air Carbon Filter Setup Question

I have been both scrubbing air as well as scrubbing vented air since carbon filters hit the market 20 years ago. The problem with them are they are EXTREMELY loud when you have enough CFMs to do a proper job. I suggest using them after you are done smoking. The best kind is the brand that states that they have a machine shaking the filter as it is filled with carbon. This will do a better job filling the filter so that each air particle can hit the surface of the carbon as many times as possible before leaving the filter. Match your filter to the fan or else suffer from buying too much or not buying enough with buying too much filter being the better option. In my experience, after the first month, they will not be as good as new and completely useless after a year. This is running 24x7 in extremely hot environments though. YMMV

Carbon is carbon... if its properly filled and the fan matches the filter you are good. Running a negative ion generator for an hour once a month with the house empty and the HVAC turned off will do amazing things for your smoking lounge as well.

• Like 2

I have been both scrubbing air as well as scrubbing vented air since carbon filters hit the market 20 years ago. The problem with them are they are EXTREMELY loud when you have enough CFMs to do a proper job. I suggest using them after you are done smoking. The best kind is the brand that states that they have a machine shaking the filter as it is filled with carbon. This will do a better job filling the filter so that each air particle can hit the surface of the carbon as many times as possible before leaving the filter. Match your filter to the fan or else suffer from buying too much or not buying enough with buying too much filter being the better option. In my experience, after the first month, they will not be as good as new and completely useless after a year. This is running 24x7 in extremely hot environments though. YMMV

Carbon is carbon... if its properly filled and the fan matches the filter you are good. Running a negative ion generator for an hour once a month with the house empty and the HVAC turned off will do amazing things for your smoking lounge as well.
Thanks! I'll look into it when I have own home to make my own cigar lounge.

나의 SM-N950N 의 Tapatalk에서 보냄

I ended up getting an IQair Multigas for the winter months. 
It works really well, but a 30 lbs carbon filter with a powerful inline fan (like those used in grow tents) will do 90% of the job just as well for a fraction of the price. Its just extremely loud as Mike said.

Much appreciated! I'm looking for it!

3 hours ago, FrancisK7 said:

In practicality, for cigar smoke and specifically masking the activity of smoking, I have had similar results using a 30 lbs carbon filter with a 7" inline fan to scrub the room after the smoking has happened and the IQair multigas. The Multigas unit is about 4 times the price of a grow tent filter+inline fan combo. And it's not 4 times as good.

What filter were you using?

15 minutes ago, FrancisK7 said:

A Phresh filter, and a Max-Fan inline fan (6 or 7" can't remember).

I was saving up to buy the IQair multigas, but you may be saving me some money!  I have no carpet or similar things in my cigar room.  For me, it is only about breathing fresh air and removing the smell a I don't want to smell smoke after I'm done.  I hate smoking inside due to inhaling smoke.

I found this unit which seems to have over 20 pound of charcoal. 

https://www.amazon.com/TerraBloom-Scrubber-Australian-Charcoal-Hydroponics/dp/B07P7TDK7D

Comes from Australia, so you KNOW it must be quality :)

and thanks to pot heads, there are units designed to be fairly quiet.  One unit I saw that would work with that filter runs at 1,100 CFM at 48dba (on max speed). 

This may be my new route, thanks for the info, very helpful.

• Like 1

The 1 year on the inline fans is mostly for pot heads who are running the unit 12-24 hours a day depending on if you plants are growing or flowering.  As much as I'll use it, 2-3 hours a day for 4 months out the  year, the filter will easily last me 3 years.

But yes, ugly indeed.  Though if I was less lazy, I could put the unit in the garage (shares a wall) and do a fancy furnance return in the wall.  Would reduce the noise as well.

• Like 1

Have any of you guys used one of these?

Wen 3417 3-speed Industrial Air Filtration System (1044 cfm)

I thought of getting 1 of these (or 2 if necessary) for the room I'm building out as a cigar lounge in my basement.

image.png.780f4798488f167803bd5d7c8b63e862.png

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3410-3-Speed-Remote-Controlled-Filtration/dp/B07KKXNY26/ref=sr_1_4?crid=84SBIW56WZY8&keywords=cigar%2Bair%2Bpurification%2Bsystem&qid=1581210530&sprefix=cigar%2Bair%2Bpur%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-4&th=1

I agree that IQAir is really expensive air scrubber (starts from $2000 in Korea). Thank you for notifying similar setup!

3 hours ago, FrancisK7 said:
When I smoke in the house I close all HVAC vents and returns in the room. I run the filter or iqair at medium speed while I smoke, and will scrub on high speed overnight. While I smoke, there is zero odor outside the room I am smoking in, which was the whole point for me. I don't want my family or children to even smell it. 
I have hardwood floors, no drapes or textile in the room that could absorb a big amount of smoke though. If you scrub after smoking, so of the odor will penetrate carpets/furniture and it will take more than air scrubbing to get that out. 
The problem in an apartment building is that you can't vent the smoke outside or it will disturb the other tenants, so ideally you'd have to smoke right near your filter and blow into it so much of the smoke is filtered before it can even hit the floor. If you have carpets or non-leather furniture/couches it will be even more difficult to hide the scent. 

Much agreed! There are other furnitures like bed in room. It takes a week to cigar smell to be disappeared from my bed tbh.

15 minutes ago, rbi said:

Have any of you guys used one of these?

Wen 3417 3-speed Industrial Air Filtration System (1044 cfm)

I thought of getting 1 of these (or 2 if necessary) for the room I'm building out as a cigar lounge in my basement.

image.png.780f4798488f167803bd5d7c8b63e862.png

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-3410-3-Speed-Remote-Controlled-Filtration/dp/B07KKXNY26/ref=sr_1_4?crid=84SBIW56WZY8&keywords=cigar%2Bair%2Bpurification%2Bsystem&qid=1581210530&sprefix=cigar%2Bair%2Bpur%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-4&th=1

yikes, bad specs.  No go for cigar smokers.  Filters down to 1 micron.  Smoke will go right thru that.  You want something that goes down to like .1 or less.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FrancisK7 said:

I honestly don't believe the 1,100 CFM at 48dba claim... I'm sure it will be loud as hell. Even in my lounge/office if I run the Multigas at 230 cfm I have to use headphones. 

I think if you can hide that thing in wall, and add a layer of sonopan panels for good measures, you'd have a sweet, very cost-effective and quiet setup. Make a removable panel in the wall to make it easy to change out the filter.

yeah, I looked at youtube videos and it runs at 44 at the low setting.  Couldn't find the specs for full speed, so I emailed the company.

On 2/9/2020 at 7:10 AM, FrancisK7 said:

I just searched Can-Fan Max-Fan Inline Fan on Google. However, there was no 7" Max-Fan other than 6", 8", 8" HO, 10", 12", 14". I also found that there were Max Fan 230v-240v (6", 10",  14", 16", 18", 20"), Max Fan Pro (6", 8", 10", 16"). Which Max-Fan 6" do you use (is Can-Filter useful in your opinion)?

7 hours ago, LonesomeHabanoAficionado said:

I just searched Can-Fan Max-Fan Inline Fan on Google. However, there was no 7" Max-Fan other than 6", 8", 8" HO, 10", 12", 14". I also found that there were Max Fan 230v-240v (6", 10",  14", 16", 18", 20"), Max Fan Pro (6", 8", 10", 16"). Which Max-Fan 6" do you use (is Can-Filter useful in your opinion)?

This is the route I decided to go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBV5JY1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7TDK7D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3I2VACYSJR5AQ&psc=1

Each run at 1,000 CFM.  25 pounds of charcoal.  Run at low setting during your cigar session at 44 dba (not too noisy, but some noise) than crank it up after I leave to fully clean the room.  It seems to be one of the quietest fans on the market.  24 inch filter with a 10 inch piping will really do the trick.   I sent an email to the manufacturer about the micron specs on the filter.  Waiting to hear back.  If it is .1 or less, I'm buying today!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Monterey said:

This is the route I decided to go:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XBV5JY1/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=A2AW0W4FKP16S5&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07P7TDK7D/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3I2VACYSJR5AQ&psc=1

Each run at 1,000 CFM.  25 pounds of charcoal.  Run at low setting during your cigar session at 44 dba (not too noisy, but some noise) than crank it up after I leave to fully clean the room.  It seems to be one of the quietest fans on the market.  24 inch filter with a 10 inch piping will really do the trick.   I sent an email to the manufacturer about the micron specs on the filter.  Waiting to hear back.  If it is .1 or less, I'm buying today!

Thx mate! It'll be good for filtering fine dust too (fine dust is extremely problematic in Korea)!